Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The black tank should always be open when using any type of rinsing unit.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #16

Have a friend that said to me one day. Boy I really got my fresh water tank full, it started coming out the top. I said, you weren't hooked up to your fresh water, you were hooked up to your black tank flush. He looked at me like I was nuts.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is NO reason to completely fill the black tank for a flush. I will close the black water drain for a minute or two and then drain it a few times with the flush running.

There is no such thing as a black tank overflow. It should go up the vent and onto the roof, provided they remembered to seal the vent pipe at the tank.

Ken
Old 06-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, the black water tank, while being rinsed with the discharged valved closed, will overflow to the roof, but you should hear a change in sound as the water is being forced up the vent pipe and, hopefully will correct the error before disaster happens.
And speaking of air-conditions, on my forward air conditioner I found that the supports in the roof were too short, which allowed water to pool around the seal in the air-conditioner and eventually to run into the motor home. This was solved by replacing the factory supports with one of proper size and to reroute the wires/hoses to the antennas and air horns to a separate entry point rather than through the seal around the air-condition.

2005 WRV 36 MDDS
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
When you flush your tank leave the valve open.

My manual for my M.H. tell me to always keep the flush valve open when your flushing out your tanks that way you will not have it coming out on top of your M.H.
A few years ago when I was on a outing with a grouper of M.H.'s one of the guys had a brand new rig. he was in the middle of flushing his tanks with the valves close then he got dis tracked and it started coming out over the top of his rig. after he turned off the water he made the mistake of going inside and push down on the toilet flush lever instead of opening up the one out side and you know what came up out of the toilet and it got all over him and the floor of his rig.
That people. is why you leave the flush valve open when your flushing your tanks.
Just a thought.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I frequently hear about the distracted dumper and the dreaded overflow. Still - I leave mine closed and listen. My feeling is the fill - and "flush" is a better cleaning. Who knows. If you have a tendency to get distracted or fall asleep while driving or standing up - leave it open. It really is a serious activity - at letting shiny objects distract you is not advisable. Know thyself!
JMHO.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
There is no such thing as a black tank overflow. It should go up the vent and onto the roof, provided they remembered to seal the vent pipe at the tank.
Ken
......AND if they sealed the vent pipes to the roof opening, (inside the cap)!
The vent pipes on most RVs are not sealed to the roof under/inside of the roof caps, where they exit the roof.
Often only the caps are sealed to the roof, (to prevent rain from getting into the RV).
If/when black water is forced up the vent pipe much of it can/will hit the underside off the cap and run down INTO the RV, (around the outside of the pipe).

Luckily, overfilling a black tank until it comes out the top of the vent pipe seldom happens.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I frequently hear about the distracted dumper and the dreaded overflow. Still - I leave mine closed and listen. My feeling is the fill - and "flush" is a better cleaning. Who knows. If you have a tendency to get distracted or fall asleep while driving or standing up - leave it open. It really is a serious activity - at letting shiny objects distract you is not advisable. Know thyself!
JMHO.
I do the same except I run the flush while dumping. When the water is clear, I close the valve and count to sixty. I open the valve again and drain. Then, to put some water into the bottom of the tank, I close the valve and count to thirty.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Black tank overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
I do the same except I run the flush while dumping. When the water is clear, I close the valve and count to sixty. I open the valve again and drain. Then, to put some water into the bottom of the tank, I close the valve and count to thirty.

Since I seldom wear a watch I have found that counting to sixty is the best way to time it. I try to estimate leaving four to five gallons of fresh water in the tank when traveling or boon-docking so usually count from thirty to forty-five, depending on the water pressure, after I have closed the valve.

2005 WRV 36 MDDS
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 06-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #24

If you forget to turn off the black tank flush--the best outcome is that you end up with poo down the side of your coach, worst case is that your toilet seal doesnt hold. Think most flush systems do a good enough job without refilling the tank for a second dump. I too like to add some water to the balck tank at the end to keep things more liquified. To keep from forgetting to shut it off, I usually tie something around my wrist to remind me.
PS--can anyone tell me what this string around my wrist is for?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #25

I use the TLAR method
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I use the TLAR method
EngineerMike
What is the TLAR method... (must be an "engineer thing")!
What in the world does the acronym "TLAR" stand for?
Since you can't see the level of in a black tank it can't be "That Looks About Right".... and "Turkish League Against Rheumatism" makes no sense.
Do you have to pay by the letter to post an understandable message or is it difficult for you to type words? :-)

Old 06-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
I might be mistaken, but on some coaches the vent tube that goes to the roof has a shared connection with the black and grey tank. The connections are approx. 2/3rds or more of the way up the stack. The resultant overflow will flow up the stack and into the grey tank and then come out of the shower drain. A friend of mine has a Pace Arrow and he was not paying attention when flushing out the black tank. His wife was "screaming" as the green stuff flowed out of the shower drain onto the coaches floor
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #28

In this case, we are talking Alpine--two pipes, two vents and neither two shall meet--me thinks/me knows.....

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank