Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1

Where does black tank overflow go?

When I flush my black tank, I close it, then fill the tank. It usually takes 12-15 minutes. I have it set so when the full light on the gauge comes on, I go out and open the valve. This has always worked. I have a regulator on the filler hose. This morning, the full light was on solid after 10 minutes. I ran out and opened the valve and looked for overflow but didn't see anything.

A little later, water started dripping form my A/C intake grill in the living room. Now, I cannot imagine how the two are related, but it was awfully coincidental. We've had rain here a few days ago and ther was no leak. The A/C wasn't running, so I know it wasn't defrosting.

So, that begged the question... if there IS an overflow in the black tank, where does it go?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
When I flush my black tank, I close it, then fill the tank. It usually takes 12-15 minutes. I have it set so when the full light on the gauge comes on, I go out and open the valve. This has always worked. I have a regulator on the filler hose. This morning, the full light was on solid after 10 minutes. I ran out and opened the valve and looked for overflow but didn't see anything.

A little later, water started dripping form my A/C intake grill in the living room. Now, I cannot imagine how the two are related, but it was awfully coincidental. We've had rain here a few days ago and ther was no leak. The A/C wasn't running, so I know it wasn't defrosting.

So, that begged the question... if there IS an overflow in the black tank, where does it go?
To my knowledge, there is no "Overflow" for the black tank. At least that I am aware of.
If it is over full, my guess is you would see a mess in the toilet as that would be the 1st point it could escape. Sounds to me like you have a dirty sensor problem. Try putting a few lbs. of ice in the empty tank and drive around for a while.
There is a good video on the subject of black tanks, care and use by RV Geeks. http://m.youtube.com/#/user/RVgeeks?...user%2FRVgeeks

Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

You could check your roof. There is an air vent where you might start a fountain that could leak back to a bad seal around an a/c. Likewise if the air vent isn't sealed to the roof, sewage could drop into the roof structure and find its way to a vent to drop out.
Hope its the sensor.
Just for safety sake, I'd discontinue the tank filling scenario as the standard, unless you hold the toilet open & watch for the full tank signal there to trigger your shutoff.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post

There isn't an overflow but there is a vent stack that goes to the roof. When the tank is full the water pressure will force water up the vent stack & out on the roof.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No overflow on black tank - would likely be experienced in the toilet first. Grey tank full often seen by backing up ino the shower, as this is lowest point for grey.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
To my knowledge, there is no "Overflow" for the black tank. At least that I am aware of.
If it is over full, my guess is you would see a mess in the toilet as that would be the 1st point it could escape.
I also believe that most, (all?), black tanks have no overflow drain.
The first indication would be at the lowest opening, which would be the flush ball/slide valve in the bottom of the toilet.

Whenever I use the built in black tank flush to rinse the black tank,
I always have a helper monitor the tank level while holding the flush ball open and watching down the toilet, (with a flashlight).
IMO, the tank gauge is not reliable enough to trust.
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Old 06-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Overflow goes the only place left. Up the vent pipe. As much as I hate to admit it I did much the same thing a few years ago with my 2004 National Tropi Cal. I had already dumped then closed the valve and turned on the back wash. Getting distracted I was in the motorhome talking to friends when the wife asked why water was coming out of the hall light fixture. OOPS!! What I found on my coach was that the vent pipe was not sealed where it exited the roof but since the cover over the top of the pipe was sealed to the roof rain could not get in but when water was pushed up the pipe it just overflowed and ran down the sides of the pipe and into my ceiling ducts.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I know for a fact that the black tank "overflow" is the vent thru the roof and somewhat thru the toilet depending on how well it's sealed. Don't ask how I know! However, good advice is to MAKE SURE you don't connect shore water to the black water clean out by mistake. WHAT A MESS!!!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Wow !
I NEVER let the rinse out run long enough to fill up the tank

Sprayer is typically mounted on the side of the tank and sprays a fan pattern across the tank, which gets the sides and the bottom.
Usually mounted on the opposite side of the sensors so they get cleaned off when you flush.

would think you would hear a change in the sound once the sprayer was covered by the water in the tank...

but imho you don't need to fill it up... just long enough to see clear water running out...
(you DO have a clear section of your stinky slinky right ? mine is the elbow that connects to the sewer pipe in the ground)
then I close the valve and leave a gallon or two of clean water in there to slosh around with the calgon bath beads on the way to the next stop...

that is NOT something I want to mess up
Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
There isn't an overflow but there is a vent stack that goes to the roof. When the tank is full the water pressure will force water up the vent stack & out on the roof.
Steve
You are correct, however, if the toilet flush ball/slide does seal perfectly the overflow WILL come up into the toilet bowl.
Mel
Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post

Steve
You are correct, however, if the toilet flush ball/slide does seal perfectly the overflow WILL come up into the toilet bowl.
Mel
I agree Mel and few seal perfectly when there is some pressure applied.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

I agree Mel and few seal perfectly when there is some pressure applied.
Seals are designed to be installed with the lip facing the liquid to be sealed.
This Toilet seal is installed with the lip of the seal facing up so it seals water from going down into the tank. Only guessing here as I don't have 1st hand experience as some here have indicated, but pressure from the underside of the seal should leak into the bowl and eventually fill the bowl and the bathroom for that matter.
Logically thinking!
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #13

I may be wrong but I think there are some drain tubes for the ACs that drain down through the coach.
When the tanks are full the overflow is inside the coach.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like this came out of the Movie "RV" with Robin Williams.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank