Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Where is the Fuel Filter on my 1999 ISC

I have owned my 1999 coach for several years and I do all the servicing myself. I have been over and under the engine and entire MH many times and have never found an engine fuel filter. I assumed the Fuel/Water Separator located on the service panel was also a fuel filter. The 1999 owners manual (which is very incomplete and contains many errors), makes 3 references to fuel filters. In the "Authorized F-Line Service parts list it has a listing for "Fuel Filter (Engine Mounted)-FS1251" and a listing for "Fuel/Water Separator Element-FS1022". In the maintenance schedule it has "Remote Fuel Filter-Replace every 10,000 miles", but has no schedule for an engine mounted fuel filter or a fuel/water separator.

Does anyone know where I might find an engine mounted or remote fuel filter. And, does anyone know if the FS1022 fuel/water separator contains a fuel filter (it certainly is large enough to have one).

Thanks, Dave

Alpine Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #2

This picture of an ISC engine should help you find where the filter is mounted. http://cumminsengines.com/assets/pdf/4971106.pdf The FS1022 is a fuel filter AND water separator. Both filters should be changed when you do an oil change. The engine mounted filter is on the pressure side between the fuel pump and injector pump and is the primary. The other filter is on the suction side between the tank and the fuel pump and is the secondary or "remote" filter.

John and Mary Knight
2015 Ventana 4311, 2015 Cadillac SRX
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I happened to have the bed off and lid up on my '99 so I traced the fuel lines. They come from the tank to the lift pump, out to the large filter/separator in the service bay then to the high pressure pump, no small filter anywhere to be seen.

My owner's manual mentioned the filter also, page 79 which should have an engine diagram is blank. I have 2 of the small filters in my under bed storage that I carry "just in case" along with 2 larger separator/filters but it looks like the small ones were money wasted. My guess is WRV changed their minds oe Cummins changed their recommendations between printing the manual and the construction of our coaches.

If there's a filter there it's very well hidden.
The above post is just my experience/opinion which is worth exactly what you paid for it.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
WRV ordered (or maybe Cummins delivered) engines with, and without engine mounted fuel filters. My 06 had just the 1022 filter/water-separator. My 08 has an engine mounted filter in addition to the 1022. Its a crap shoot. All WRV's rigs () had the 1022 (I'm sure there's an exception even to that rule someplace). You can add an engine mount unit if you like, but I wouldn't bother.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
On my rig the engine mounted fuel filter can be seen by looking toward the engine, looking past the air filter assembly. Ya kinda gotta squint just right to spy it.
'99 Alpine Coach
Jeff and Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Thanks to all who responded. It appears that I have a unit like daveshan that has no fuel filter other than the Fuel/Water Separator. I have traced the fuel lines. There are 2 that go from the lift pump toward the fuel tank. I assume 1 of these is the supply line and the other is a vapor return. There is 1 line out of the lift pump that goes directly to the Fuel/Water Separator and then anouther that comes out of the Separator and goes directly to the injector pump. There is no fuel filter on the engine unless it is internal to one of the pumps. I have replace the lift pump, so I know it has no serviceable filter, and I suspect the injector pump does not have one either. I am glad to hear that the FS1022 has a filter, since it appears to be the only one in my fuel system. It concerns me that the lift pump appears to not be protected by any filter. I hope it can handle dirt particles that are bound to get into the fuel tank.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
1999,Racor Fuel Filter added

I had the same set up on my 1999, as you do on your 1999 coach. There is an internal 4-5 micron screen inside the lift pump/priming pump/transfer pump (what ever you want to call it) be extremely carful cleaning it so not to rip the screen etc. Removing the 3 bolts will drop the cup which contains this screen about 1 inch deep and 1 /12 diameter. I felt uneasy without a pre-filter also. I installed a racor filter,30micron back aft on the bhd aft of the hydraulic filter canister w/sight bowel and a psi filter differential gauge indicating filter condition with 2 isolation ball valves from fwd fuel tank (supply) to the lift pump (return). The ball isolation vales will make it easier not to drain/introduce a lot of air in the closed system.
Dave & Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Racor Fuel Filter added

Thanks for the information Dave. Sounds like an excellent idea. I will add this to my to-do list and do something similar before our nex trip.