Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
TJz

Wheres the button, to combine all batteries

I recently got divorced and I got our 2000 Alpine coach, I know it sounds silly, but I cant start it. I have searched the manuals and cant find anything wrong . I was told there is a button up front to tie the batteries together but I cant find it.... any thoughts? The generator charges the batteries inside. When I turn the key nothing happens.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

Mine is to the left of the speedometer. But it sounds like the cutoff switches. Check near the entrance for some small swiches. Maybe inside a cabinet near the doorway.

nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
TJz

there isa small switch in the step area but nothing happened, i was told by my x that it was down by the drivers chair???
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #4

The switch that connects batteries will be close to drivers chair. You have to hold it in when turning the ignition key.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club

Hello and Welcome TJz:

If you turning the key and you hear nothing the Chassis Battery switch my in the Off Position. There is a second battery switch in the Rear of the coach on the Passenger Side where the Air Filter and Oil Dip Stick are located. If this in the off position the engine will not start. If the engine is running and you turn this switch to the off position it will should the engine down. The switch you are looking for is on the dash just to the left of the head light switch.

I hope you join the Alpine Coach Association or one of the other Alpine Coach Clubs on one of our Rallies.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #6

My two cents worth - on my 2001, the Generator does not charge the starting batteries. So the starting batteries may be dead. You may or may not be able to start the MH with the jumper switch. If you can't find the switch you can use jumper cables between the house batteries and starting batteries - before you do that you should understand the series/parallel relations of all those batteries or you could get into trouble (sparks a flying). Or......call AAA for a jump (well not sure if I trust those guys either!)
Old 07-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJz View Post
I recently got divorced and I got our 2000 Alpine coach, I know it sounds silly, but I cant start it. I have searched the manuals and cant find anything wrong . I was told there is a button up front to tie the batteries together but I cant find it.... any thoughts? The generator charges the batteries inside. When I turn the key nothing happens.
I have read all the replies. One gentlemen is trying to be helpful, but he has a Gulf Stream, not an Alpine

I have had my 99 Alpine 2 1/2 years, everybody talks about a switch to tie the house and chassis battery together to start the engine. I and others have looked but unable to locate. I have tried jumper cables between them. That did not work either. I am a retired cross country trucker accustomed to big equipment and multiple batteries, but this is still a mystery to me.

I have had my chassis battery go dead twenty minutes after driving it, jump start usually worked. Then not have another problem for 6 months.

I would start by using a battery charger for a few hours, then use a load tester or hydrometer to test it. Battery must be charged to test. The switch in the entry way ONLY shuts off the HOUSE battery. Good wishes, old trucker
Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
My model (2003) has a "Boost" switch on the dash that supposedly causes the house & chassis battery strings to be tied together for emergency starting situations. Haven't used it but that's what the manual claims. The "Boost" switch may have not been included in the earlier model years??
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Below are photos of the Battery Boost switch.

The second photo is the House Battery switch. It turns off all DC power to the living area of the coach. This is on the right of the steps as you enter the coach.

The third photo is the Chassis Battery switch. Located in the last door on the passenger side of the coach. Right where Dave said the air filter ect. are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-84706484.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	23739   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3806055254.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	599.1 KB
ID:	23740  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3948618215.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	23741  
Old 07-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

Alpine Headlight Cover

I have a 99 Alpine. Needless to say everyone cusses headlight covers on all vehicles. Mine leaked about 2 inches of water inside. I find that there are only 2 very small bolts that hold it in. But there is also 5 gallons of black windshield sealer. What a mess. I took my cover completely off, what a mistake. It did allow me to drain the water and access to the inside of the cover for cleaning. Then the 3 hour job of removing the black mess. This was just on the coach, we have not got to cleaning the black gooo from the cover. I used enamel reducer to clean the coach. Very slow process, but finally got it done. Now for the cover. The enamel reducer was not compatible with the plastic cover. I really have a mess now. It is at the local body shop for some professional polishing. The plastic lens looks like it has been cleaned with sand paper.

It appears that totally removing the cover is necessary just to replace a headlight lamp. I think for the most part that Alpine was pretty well engineered, but to go throrugh this to replace a head lamp?????

Any ideas as t locating a replacement, should it become necessary?????? appreciate any help. Old trucker
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

I've had my chassis battery go dead many times. I replaced the batteries...and that didn't help. The fact that the "Boost Switch" on the dashboard uses the chassis batteries for power, makes it useless for tying the two sets of batteries together. You must use either a charger or boost cables to get them together.
I had my service guy install a separate "mechanical" switch to tie the two battery banks together....but you need to be careful to not leave it in the "connected" position all the time....but, it has eliminated the need for battery boost cables!
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #12

Don't know what year it was introduced but the older coaches did not have a combiner aka Battery Boost switch. If you have the Echo-Charger installed then the generator will charge both house and chassis batteries. The switch by the front door is the House battery disconnect switch and the one in the rear service bay is the Chassis battery disconnect switch. I always carry a jumper cable!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

I have a year 2000 Alpine Coach.

In my 2000 the generator did not charge the Chassis battery, it only charges the house Battery. I have added an echo charger to fix this.

There is a Battery Boost switch on mine on the dashboard, to the left of the steering column. The gigantic solenoid contactor for this is in the battery compartment. But as Mike Gamble noted, if the chassis battery is dead, pushing the Boost switch (to combine the batteries) will not engage the boost function.

The house battery switch in the stair well is not marked where on/off is. The switch pictures in the Tom and Patty reply shows both the house and chassis battery in the ON position.

If you are a AAA member or a member of any other road service organization, get them to come out an jump start the Coach. Once you get it running leave it running (preferably by driving it) for one to two hours to allow the batteries a good charge.

There is a jumper block in the nose of the coach, But you have to open/extend the nose (like you would to fuel it up) with hydraulics that run on battery power and I can't remember which battery set the motor for the hydraulics runs on. If both battery sets are dead then a jump start in the battery box may be your only option.

v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine owners, batteries