Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #1

I need to remove and reseal one of my coach windows. There is not much surface to simply run a bead of caulk to seal it reliably without removing it. Anybody have any advice? I have a couple of questions before I start.

Is the window frame installed with just a rubber gasket, or was a sealant also used? If a sealant was used I assume it will be harder to remove the window frame.

If the rubber seal is reusable, any suggestions about sealing during the reinstallation?

If the rubber seal is not reusable, any suggestions on the reinstallation without it?

I am planning to seal the window using silicone RTV while installing it unless somebody can offer a better solution.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #2

I need to remove and reseal one of my coach windows. There is not much surface to simply run a bead of caulk to seal it reliably without removing it. Anybody have any advice? I have a couple of questions before I start.

Is the window frame installed with just a rubber gasket, or was a sealant also used? If a sealant was used I assume it will be harder to remove the window frame.

If the rubber seal is reusable, any suggestions about sealing during the reinstallation?

If the rubber seal is not reusable, any suggestions on the reinstallation without it?

I am planning to seal the window using silicone RTV while installing it unless somebody can offer a better solution.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #3

I would go to glass installation shop and buy from them what they recommend. 3M makes many great products for what you are trying to accomplish.
Avoid any silicon gasket materials. Paint shops will thank you. Silicon on the exterior can create all sorts of problems (fish eyes) should you ever have to have any paint work done.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #4

the windows have an exterior frame and an interior frame. the screws you see around the inside frame squeeze the two frames together when tightened. under the outside frame's lip is a bead of clay-like putty available from any RV-trailer supply joint. it comes in a tape form about an inch wide by maybe an eigth thick. compressing the two frames together with the screws squishes the putty tape forming the seal.

when taking a window out you should be able to remove the inner frame entirely; the outer will likely stick to a greater or lesser extent depending on how it has faired and how well it was installed initially. if you clean off all the old putty & reinstall perfectly you should get a small but variable amount of squeeze-out all around the exterior frame that can be trimmed neatly with a plastic knife so as not to scratch the paint.

Some add a thin bead of silicone over the top, some all around, after the bead is trimmed well. I don't recommend using silicone under the frame; it will glue in the frame & if you EVER have to remove it later, you will wish you used the putty.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #5

They use a black butal tape on the windows to install them. It is very simular to the stuff they used to install windshields in the 60, and 70,s. Be very carefull when you pull the windows. Put 2 layers of masking tape around the window edge and use 2 or 3 bent putty knifes and pry it out slowly. A very warm day is your friend if it is to cold it will be very dificult. When the window starts to come out cut it with a razor. Once the window is out make a little ball out of the black stuff and tap it onto the old stuff. It will take it off. After reinstaling windows tale a razor and cut around the window and remove the excess. Don't seal with silicone. It will continue to ooze out with warm days and will need to be trimed out a couple of times more.If done right you will need no other sealant.