Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #15

Peggy,

Thanks for answering the questions about the MCD shades.

My only "complaint" with the MCD shades is that the upgrade material we used in the living area was discontinued, so I had to use a different material for the bedroom at a later date. But since it is not visible from the living area, it is not a big deal.

I also bought their day shades to cover the screen door to cut the glare. They work great too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #16

We changed all 11 windows ourselves to MCD, well worth the work and $$$. No problems.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the original MCD and their new Gold Series?
if remember I think they went from 5.7 volt motors to 12 volt.. Don't bet your rent money on this info but I think I'm correct...
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the original MCD and their new Gold Series?
In addition to the differences noted above...

I've been to the MCD facility in McKinney twice and have operated their display units for comparison. . IMO, the American DUO has a smoother, more precise action than the Gold series. They both work, but the DUO just has a higher end feel to it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #19

We went to the factory and had MCD's installed in the entire coach. We love them, the only bad thing was writing the very large check before leaving.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Our friends took their Alpine Coach to MCD directly and paid them based upon the actual time spent removing old blinds & installing the new ones. We went to a dealer and paid $200 per blind flat rate. They benefitted from the hourly rate based upon comparing invoices. If I could do it over again I'd go out of my way to stop at MCD. Just sayin'.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
That Home Depot Bali option is only about $125, MCD's are a bit overpriced IMO

Other problem is MCD for the windshield is only motorized.
Jimbo,

I've seen this posted a couple of times and got curious. So yesterday I toddled off to Lowes to get prices on Bali shades. To compare Apples-to-Apples, I had the woman at Lowe's price 1 shade for the largest window in my coach (over the sofa).

A dual Bali shade (Solar Shade and Roller Shade similar to the MCD American DUO) in the size I need priced out at $495! Yikes!

The comparable MCD American DUO (dual shade) is $320.

What's more, the Bali dual shade has a minimum mounting depth of 3 3/16". That will not fit behind my valances.

Also, The Bali dual shade uses the continuous loop chain to lower and raise the shades. standard pull downs were not available as an option on the dual shade. The only other option for the dual shade was motorized that added another $136 to the price.

BTW... The two women at Lowe's were as nice as they could be, but I'm not sure they knew what they were doing. After looking in the Bali book and getting no where but confused, we went online to the Lowe's special order site and tried to special order 1 Dual Roller shade just to get a price. That is where I got all of the above information.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering where you're getting shades for $125. ... are they dual or single shades?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I priced a singe shade 96" X 38", they have several options to raise or lower it.

So perhaps those sales folks were not up to speed.

tks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
Jimbo,

I've seen this posted a couple of times and got curious. So yesterday I toddled off to Lowes to get prices on Bali shades. To compare Apples-to-Apples, I had the woman at Lowe's price 1 shade for the largest window in my coach (over the sofa).

A dual Bali shade (Solar Shade and Roller Shade similar to the MCD American DUO) in the size I need priced out at $495! Yikes!

The comparable MCD American DUO (dual shade) is $320.

What's more, the Bali dual shade has a minimum mounting depth of 3 3/16". That will not fit behind my valances.

Also, The Bali dual shade uses the continuous loop chain to lower and raise the shades. standard pull downs were not available as an option on the dual shade. The only other option for the dual shade was motorized that added another $136 to the price.

BTW... The two women at Lowe's were as nice as they could be, but I'm not sure they knew what they were doing. After looking in the Bali book and getting no where but confused, we went online to the Lowe's special order site and tried to special order 1 Dual Roller shade just to get a price. That is where I got all of the above information.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering where you're getting shades for $125. ... are they dual or single shades?
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
I priced a singe shade 96" X 38", they have several options to raise or lower it.

So perhaps those sales folks were not up to speed.

tks
So I could possibly save money, but I have to go with a single shade.

As a follow up, I did go to the Bali website today and was able to confirm at least 2 things.

1). If you get the dual shade there are only two up/down Control mechanisms. Continuous Loop, and motorized. So the Lowe's Ladies got that right. Other controls (Stringless and fixed cord) are limited to single roller shades only.

2). The dual shade requires a mounting depth of 5 3/16 of an inch. This you can see in the mounting dimensions, then see why in the mounting instructions. The dual blinds do not mount directly over each other. When viewed from the side, the upper shade mount at a 45 degree angle away from the wall than the lower shade.

I was hoping Bali might present a true savings, but their dual shade won't work for me, thus no savings.

I can see where it might be a viable option if you only need the single shade.

I will say, Bali does have a nice selection of fabrics.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Well I'm off to Tampa in few so I'll what if any deals are there first.

tks for the feedback

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement