Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Windshield crack. Replace or leave alone?

We picked up a rock chip in the upper right side of the passenger windshield and shortly thereafter, a crack appeared on both sides of the chip. The total length of the crack is about 12-15 inches. It is high enough that it does not interfere with view. Is there a "fix" to prevent the crack from spreading? Since it doesn't interfere with the view, is there any real reason to replace the windshield? I hate to imagine what a replacement would cost. We do have comprehensive insurance. I don't imagine any leaks will result. Any ideas very much appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #2

If it's already cracked, there's not too much you can do. Call Duncan Glass and they can have it replaced on the road or come to your house....that what you have insurance for..
Old 05-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #3

Your insurance will send someone to fix the crack for free. If they can not repair it then they replace it. I have seven chip repairs. You can not really see them after the repair.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
Your insurance will send someone to fix the crack for free. If they can not repair it then they replace it. I have seven chip repairs. You can not really see them after the repair.
Yup, see what the glass repair service via your insurance have to say.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Unless it becomes a problem or you want to sell the coach, it may not be worth messing with. After doing Alaska in 2010 I had long cracks in both windshields, at vision level. Went to Coach Glass in Eugene and had them replaced. Progressive (ins. carrier at the time) wouldn't pay for glass repair so footed the bill myself. It was $1220 for both (3/2011).
Old 05-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if they still do it, but at one time they would drill a small spot at each end of the crack to stop it from spreading. If the crack is out of your vision line that might work.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #7

Generally, if the crack[s] is longer/ can not be covered by a 1$ bill, the "crack repair" guy wont mess with it. Yes, you can drill the end of the crack. Usually, the crack is in the outside layer of the laminated glass so if you can detect the very end of the crack you can use a small drill bit to create a small hole in the outside layer, an indention really. Depending on your success in finding the exact end of the crack, the drill hole will stop it--for how long, hard to say.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I had a similar issue with the passenger side windshield - but at the bottom. It didn't interfere with either the driver's or the passenger's vision. However, when it came time to have the annual state inspection done to register the coach, because the crack was over 3 inches long, they wouldn't pass it until the windshield was replaced. We have $500 deductible comprehensive insurance and had the insurance company replace the damaged window - which cost us $500 (the amount of the deductible). Just FYI, glass replacement does not affect the annual cost of your policy like an accident or any kind of body work will. Be sure to have a reputable automotive glass company do the replacement because the way the windshield panels are installed in Alpines is different from most coaches and requires an experienced installer to get it done right and not end up with air and water leaks. Neither your posts nor your profile indicate where you are located but if you should decide to replace the cracked windshield panel, if you provide your location, I'm sure there are folks here on this Alpine Owner's forum that can assist with recommending a good glass company to do the job.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #9

Thanks to all for your input. I am in Reno, Nevada if anyone knows of a good place for repair or replacement in the area.
Thanks again,
Mike
Wrinklemeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I know that some states (Florida is one) have an insurance type pool funded by the trucking industry that will pay for replacing windshields damaged by road debris.

We have used it twice to replace windshields dinged by rocks.

The glass installer does all the paperwork. We paid zero.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We have a 20 inch crack in our front window (out of line of sight) that's held stable for over 3 years of bumpy fulltime RVing. The guy that "fixed" it was from Safelite. Since our crack was larger than a $1 bill he couldn't guarantee the fix, but it's held so far. One day we'll get the whole thing replaced, but not yet. In any case Safelite did a good job for us. They've repaired minor cracks on our toad before as well. They're nationwide.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

Here in AZ if it has a crack (line of sight or not) you get a "fit it" ticket. Don't ask me how I know.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Depending on who is your insurance is, the replacement windshield is a claim on the policy, so they will raise your rates to recover the claim.

Next the best place in the western part of the country to have RV Glass work done is RV Windshield Distributor, Oregon Conversion Bus Glass Supplier, RV Windshield Replacement - The parent company makes all the RV & Bus windshields for the RV industry, and they have about 30 bays to do the work in since they took over the old Monaco Facility in Coburg, OR, they just did my PS side and it was great, the service is excellent.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #14

PS--since Alpine used a "floating" windshield application [no gasket], it takes an experienced glass guy to remove the old glass without messing up the fiberglass, prepare/prime the new glass, and get the exposed polybute sealant to look right. Example: Duncan glass in Indianna? is pretty knowledgeable as are some of the folks in the Portland, Or. Make sure they know its a floating panel and are knowledgeable about the replacement--if possible.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace