Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #1

Windshield glass for Alpine cannot be installed

We have a 2007 Alpine with both windshields cracked and separating from the frames. RV Glass Solutions sent reputable installers with correct glass for our coach and could not install as frames appear to be bent and out of alignment. They recommend coach frame be fixed first. All shops recommended will not touch this problem. Any ideas - we are in the Seattle/Everett area. HELP!
robert scown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Have you called Coach Glass? It may require a trip to Coburg, OR, but I bet they know someone in the area or can do it themselves.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Was the coach in an accident or any other event that would explain how the frames got bent? Has the coach had a history of cracked windshields since it was new?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

This is obviously a big problem. IIWMI'd take the coach to Coach Glass for their inspection. It's one thing to have an independent outfit make a determination and another to get one from the OEM supplier.

If the problem is real you'll need to order the glass shipped to a moho body shop that will tackle such an issue, fair out the fiberglass frame & install the glass
Old 09-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Do a search on this forum for Windshield Replacement. A1 Coach Glass is in the old Monaco facility in Coburg, OR, exit 199 from I-5 South Bound, turn Right, take first traffic light to the right, they are down on the left side of the street. If they cannot fix it, they know a shop in Coburg which can, call them. There parent company supplied the glass to WRV to install. WRV in all cases did not clean out the glass seating area in the front cap, and that allows the urethane to slowly fail in the frame. I have replaced both sides because of that, someone is hosing you on the "frame being bad", it's not bad, it's a bad install, that is assuming you have not had an accident and messed up the front cap, then you got an issue.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your input. We replied on E-Mail and were just notified our response did not go through and to use this forum for replies. We will learn! We contacted Coach Glass in Coberg, Oregon who then referred us to RV Glass Solutions who in turn referred us to the company in Seattle who does their work. They were careful to order 2 correct windshields (we have 2 and both were separating from the frame and one had a large stress crack that just appeared while parked. They removed first the one without a crack which had large gaps at the top and sides. You could see into the inside through the gaps. They spent 3 hours trying to put one windshield in while my husband watched. My husband said it was clear it would not go in. They then glued the old glass back in without ever touching the other windshield and said we needed to get to a body shop to fix the frame. My husband says the center post appears to lean about 3/4 inch. There are no other signs of cracks and we have never been in an accident. The glass was broken 2 years ago. We had it replaced by a local glass company referred to us by Roy Robinson RV who assured us they were very familiar with Alpines. They ordered the correct glass, however we immediately had very loud wind leakage just driving it home. They insisted they had quick drying sealant, not necessary to set overnight. We returned it to them the next day and they added more sealant.. When we picked it up again they said they would never do an Alpine again and do not bring it back. In spite of this very poor install we drove it two more years including a trip to the south and to the east coast. We did have new shocks put on this summer though and the problem became apparent soon after. The wind noise from the glass sounded like a hurricane while driving and we could not hear each other while yelling as loud as possible.. Looks like a trip to Coberg is our best bet.
robert scown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #7

Hope you keep us posted as to the outcome. Sounds like an alignment problem when front cap and roof panel was assembled.

I had a w/s install one time years after a roof panel had been replaced due to car rollover. The opening for the w/s was 3/16" smaller height than stock dimensions. Took a lot of grinding at a glass shop to make the glass fit. Some openings from factory just don't come out square or allow the glass to seat correctly.
Pictures if you will.
Good luck!

Beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I recall seeing Dale Gerstel in Yakima a few years ago when he brought his 2007 Alpine up to Johnson Auto Glass for some windshield work. Not sure if it was same issue you have, but I know Johnson did a lot of the windshield work for WRV, including replacing mine which was cracked before it ever left the factory. Good luck.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:43 PM   #9

Research RV Collision centers in your area.
Locate a reputable facility and take it there for inspection.
Front cap may need to come off to properly repair windshield frame work.
bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
Research RV Collision centers in your area.
Locate a reputable facility and take it there for inspection.
Front cap may need to come off to properly repair windshield frame work.
I can't imagine the front cap having to be taken off.
Someone with lots of fiberglass experience may be needed to build out the areas where the glass does not seat down correctly. I am assuming this is a one piece w/s. It would take a lot of trial fittings and measurements to find out where the low spots are or what might have to be ground away. Two part epoxy and light weight matting would probably be my choice if that project were mine. For the most part a glass shop can not provide the skills which are going to be needed.
Any pictures or drawings would help.

Beagle
Old 09-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #11

They stated in the first post it was a split windshield.

I was just trying to give worst case scenario if they cant determine cause of both windshields cracking after removing glass and inspecting frame. Sounds like to me possible broken weld/support but who know until both windshields are out and inspected. Looks like they are having an issue finding an RV shop to even take on the job. May have to go out of state.
bulletproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, I don't know where you are located, if it turns out the front cap needs to be replaced/repaired. I would do two things, first find out if there are any Alpines in your neck of the woods which have been totaled out but the front end was not involved in the damage. Buy that front cap and both windshields from that place and rent a U-Haul and go pick up those parts. Then See if RV Coach Glass in Coburg can replace the old cap with the new one, and use the used glass instead of new ones. If that don't work, and you can put the coach into storage, see if you can find a good fiberglass man (Todd's auto body-Vancouver, WA fixed my damage perfectly)(they do not have parking for your coach I don't think). and see what he can do on the side of his regular job to fix the problem. Otherwise, I think I am out of ideas right now.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert scown View Post
We have a 2007 Alpine with both windshields cracked and separating from the frames. RV Glass Solutions sent reputable installers with correct glass for our coach and could not install as frames appear to be bent and out of alignment. They recommend coach frame be fixed first. All shops recommended will not touch this problem. Any ideas - we are in the Seattle/Everett area. HELP!
Did you get a repair made on the w/s frame?
Really would like to see some photos, this issue is out there with other WRV coaches. Ours sticks somewhat prominent on the upper left glass but it is not an issue. Without support the pressure on the glass will cause it to crack if not supported correctly.

beagle
Old 10-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #14

i know this sounds nuts to ask but where your slides out when they tryed this
some times this gets over looked or misunderstood that a 2000 lbs or more slide can move the top of your RV over

3/4 out sounds like you had the weight of the slide on the side wall and that well pull things out 3/4 if the other side windshield is not holding good

any time i did work on my cap i made sure the slides where not pulling or pushing on the side wall

2 you may want to see if you have any sway bar updates on your RV as this makes it harder on the cap and windshield

the after market upgrades to look out for is the HD sway bar & the little blue sway control valves that go in to the air lines
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install