Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Windshield partially popped out

I didnt see any posts on this so I thought it would be good to advise what just happened to our drivers side windshield on our 05 34' FDDS. When I went out to hand wash the Alpine, (and I say hand wash only because if I had power washed it I may not have noticed it as soon), when I got to the windshield , I noticed on the drivers side vertical area near the center of the post, the windshield had separated about 1/4 inch and about 18" long from the windshield frame. This was a little shocking to think what may have happened if it continued to pull away and fall to the ground driving on the highway doing 60 mph! Luckily that didnt happen. I called around Thousand Oaks, CA (where we are now, but were on our way to Silverton, CO), and was recommended to a glass shop called 'Above All Glass". We were advised to speak to Keith. He told us it was installed incorrectly, the urethane was too thin on the back side and the glass was not even touching the adhesive in some areas. Before he started he warned us that in about 50% of these type jobs, where he has to remove the glass, that the glass could break. A new half windshield would cost about $1200, plus $400 labor, or just the $400 if he could save it. We lucked out, and I think partially because he is a honest experienced glass doctor!! The windshield looks great and we would recommend this business to anyone who is in need in this area.

Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
One of the nice things about being in a large metropolitan area, fast access to good quality shops. Glad you found it and thanks for passing along a potential trouble spot to us.

BTW there are now at least 3 Alpines in Durango, our neighbor just bought an '04 36FDDS. We were planning to head to Molas Lakes tomorrow but not sure if we want to leave the house with all the fires popping up recently.

Safe travels
Dave and Jay

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Damon came with the optinal self-removing windshield too.

The first time the dealer had Guardian Glass (Detroit area) Porta-power it back in place, the "Wet behind the ears" kid scratched his.. you know, and said "Duh it'll probably come out again" And so it did, in Arizonia.

Put a retainer strap on it and continued to Las Vegas (Since I really had no other choice) called Damon the following monday and Wheeler's RV (now Las Vegas RV) had Dave SImpson come out and do it,, Took him 3 days (Guardian'd kid took like 30 minutes)

Dave was not happy though so I scheduled a 3 day visit to the factory

They re-cut the opening, seems someone used a straight edge that resembled a french curve.

Much better now.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #4

Windshield partially popped out

Over the last two years, both windshields have been replaced. One due to the last hurricane, one from a rock thrown by a passing vehicle. In Kansas (2 weeks ago) it seemed there was too much noise while driving. When we stopped at Cheyenne Mountian in CO, went to clean the windows. Driver side was out 3/4 inch at the top. Insurance had a repair man sent out. They both decided that both windows should be removed, cleaned, and re-installed. Have read posts about larger TS having window problems, but not the smaller 38' ers. Always an adventure!!
Don't dream your life away, but live your dream
Long Island Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Well we made it to Silverton without the "self-removing windshield" option taking effect! Dave...maybe we will meet you up there sometime this summer? We are in space #38 at Red Mountain Campground. It rained pretty good last night, hope it continues and the fireworks show is rescheduled!!
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Mike/Amy that's one darn good looking coach! Jay and I were at Molas Lakes and got the iRV2 "new post" notification on the way down the hill to Silverton to meet some friends so we drove by. Your TJ wasn't there so we didn't stop. I'll shoot you a PM as soon as I get unloaded.
Dave

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
All - The reason why the windshields come lose is because WRV in every case I have seen never pre-cleaned the mounting surface prior to installation, it was just crappy workmanship (IMO a standard operating situation). We have had both of ours fixed/replaced. DS side after hawk strike, and then a rock finished it off. Was up working on the Coach about 4 months after we purchased it, and the PS one had started to pop out.

FWIW - A-1 Coach Glass in Eugene, OR is a subsidiary of the company which manufactures all of the windshields used in bus’s and MH's, so they know how they should be installed, in fact at their facility they have several molds provided by MH manufacturers so testing could be done on the glass selected. They will not warranty the job unless you agree to let the coach sit for 24 hours after installation so the urethane can set up properly. They have power hookups and you can stay with the coach while the repair is going on. I had them fix the DS side of ours a couple of years ago and it's still in top shape. The PS side is also in good shape although it was fixed at another place. They also cleaned up the mounting surface good prior to install. This problem would not have occurred if WRV had done a good job on surface preparation and taken the time to let the glass set up prior to moving the coach.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

I have seen the glass moving as the coach flexes or rocks.