Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #1

Windshield replacement

In the past, I think there has been a posting regarding windshield replacements. Obviously, I didn't pay close enough attention so I am asking if anyone in the Portland, Oregon, area knows a good place to get one replaced. I was returning from an Alpine Rally this afternoon, and developed a crack. I need the driver side of a 2006.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
M&J

Guaranty RV in Junction City reffered me to Coach Glass in Eugene for a window repair. I have not talked to them yet but their number is 800-714-7171 and it looks like they specialize in motorcoach glass and other specialty glass applications. Good Luck.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Don't go to Guarranty, go to Coach Glass in Eugene, OR. First they manfacturer all the different pieces of glass used in the motorhome industry. They have a place you can put the coach into, stay with it if you want, have power hook up. And best of all, they require you to not move the coach for 24 hours so the windshield sets up and won't shift. RV Windshield Distributor, Oregon Conversion Bus Glass Supplier, Fire Truck Side Window Sales,

We used them last year for the drivers side windshield, gave me a quote, once they were finished it was less, so I got a refund off the bill. Great outfit to work with.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I believe that Coach Glass and RV Glass Solutions are somehow related (they have the same address: 90 Polk St) It seems that RV glass solutions are the sort-of retailer and can arrange for an rv expert to to install windshields anywhere in the USA.. They have installers in Eugene, at their wharehouse, who are excellent with Alpines. I know from my own experiences. If you can get there they have a special staging area where they will install it, then you can stay there overnight without moving the coach so the windshield mounting cures properly. They are at 888-777-6778 and just good people.
Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #5

Your responses were very helpful and Zinom was correct. RV Solutions is a installing arm. They could ship to an installer that would be closer to Portland, where I live, but because of their expertise, I think it better to go to the location that specializes in truck and RV replacement. During the summer months it can take up to 3 weeks to get an appointment. Thanks again.

Gary Lundberg
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
After talking to an installer here in SoCal, I found that the bid I got from RV Solutions and the one from Duncan Systems both included getting the glass from the same place. The Duncan Systems bid was significantly less $$$. However, if you are only paying a deductible, you'd be better to worry about the installer, not the supplier middleman. The only difference for the materials is what color truck picks up the glass from the factory.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #7

I am more concerned with the installer. My original windshield was not properly sealed and have fought a leak at the top of the same windshield since it was new. I have been quoted a price of $1000 less the deductible. Does that seem reasonable?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Yup.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All, when we had the passenger side removed and replaced as it was popping out, the shop in Centrailia, said it's no wonder as there was all kinds of crap, dirt, dust, and just a bad mounting surface for the windshield to go into. The same issue presented itself after the rock hit the drivers side last year and we had that one replaced. The shop in Eugene, OR RV Glass Solutions did the job, and again, they said the mounting surface was so dirty its a wonder the glass did not fall out on it's own. Now, the fiberglass at the top of the front area where the glass is, is starting to crack, and soon I am going to have to have that fixed, and the glass shop in Eugene is where I am hopefully going to take it for the removal and replacement of the glass. I believe they have a fiberglass sub who can fix the cap area. Gosh did I say lately I hate this MH. I figutre about 2K for that job. So it's going to wait until I have the cash in the bank, first.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I used Johnson Glass in Yakima to do some repairs on my one piece windshield. Johnson's is who did the replacements for WRV. WRV only did the initial install while the nose cap was laying flat, allowing for an easier install. I was having problems with the windshield on a trip up north and called the companies noted above and was told I would need to replace it. I called Johnson's, they gave me a good quote on an complete install, but said they would see if it looked like they could just reseal it. They did just that, saved me a lot of money and did a great job.

Johnson Auto Glass
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
This past week I was at A1 Auto Glass (Coach Glass) in Eugene OR for replacement of both windshields as both got cracked last summer. While there, I asked about fixing fogged side windows. They do this as well, so I had the large window on the passenger side repaired and the driver side window fixed as well. I was very pleased with the work, the knowledge of the guys that did the repair/replace work and their customer service was top notch. Driving back home, I was amazed at how much quieter the coach was. I would highly recommend this place for repair/replacement of MH glass.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, I got a quote from them, but we decided to have Peninsula Glass in Vancouver, WA build a brand new window for the PS side of the coach, as we are having some new cabinets installed and won't have good access to the way the present one open up. The bill is 1363.00 for the new windows installed. I don't know what I am going to do with the old window when it is out, but it is 119 5/8" x 35 1/4". I may have them trash the old one because I won't need it.