Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Alpine Owners Club
Today after changing the blown Turbo Hose, I opened the genslide and listened to the wipers. The gear box makes a grinding noise, so when we get home, I am going to purchase a new motor and gear box hopefully as a complete assembly and just replace the one currently their. I dont know if the wipers themselves are also causing the problem, but once the motor/gearbox is out of the way, I can then check movement of the wipers by hand and see if I have other issues. I will advise what I find once I get it done. I figure about a month before I get it done, maybe sooner, lots of other things to do besides work on this all the time. I need to make some money so I can keep throwing it down this endless money grabber pit. Not quite as bad as a boat, but its getting closer all the time.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Found out this weekend that our wipers don't even give us the common courtesy of a grinding noise. Nothing at all. Not a peep. Probably because they won't move. Not an inch. Nice feeling. Should have tested that when we bought it. Missed it on the PDI checklist. Of course it was a 109 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. A good COE for next time. Was Tom Hanks in a house or RV in the "Money Pit"? :-)

2001 Alpine 38201 26,000 miles Banks Power w/ Ottomind, Boost/ EGT Gauges, HID Conversion, Python SmartStart w/Alarm, 3 Yorkee Copilots
C & R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like a fuse. Did you check your electrical diagram (or ACA website) for the fuse location and size. Likely in one of the black boxes in front of the passenger seat, behind the panel. Mine are the mini-blades.

The Owner's Manual for 2003 (made 2002) says 20 amps in the "Ignition Vec" box (black box).

If not, try the usual tracing-the-electrical path. See where it stops. (Enters switch? Leaves switch? Arrives at motor? Good ground? Disconnect and supply with independent power, good? need new motor?)
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
Alpine Owners Club
C & R, good advice, look for a fuse. If no blown fuse and you are handy with voltmeter, disconnect the connector mentioned below and see if you have 12v power. The colors are: Red=12V+; Green-Ground; Brown & Black-High/low speed wire; Blue is the PARK wire. Check for 12v at the red wire and any good chassis ground. Be careful, read caution below about damage to hands/fingers. See the drawing as I think it talks about colors/function as I did not check that in the discussion above-just guessed based on experience.

Yesterday I replaced the wiper motor, not a bad job, it helps to have two sets of hands, but you can get by with one pair.

Do it in the following steps it will save you broken, severely lacerated or amputated fingers.

Put the gen slide out all the way. Turn key to the off position once Gen slide is out.
Either disconnect the electrical connection to the wiper motor by pushing down on the split end of the safety connector and/or then pull the connector apart to separate, or turn off the coach main disconnect electrical switches. WHY-Wipers have a “park” position, if the wipers are moved for any reason (like loosening a bolt on the main shaft) with power applied, the “park” feature will try to put them back to the center of the windshield (split models) or back to the bottom of the windshield (one piece). If your HANDS are in that mechanism, you will get a broken, severely lacerated or amputated finger-BE SAFE – REMOVE POWER FROM THIS CIRCUIT.

You need a 10mm and a 13mm combination wrench, "straight wrenches" not offset type and combination ratcheting wrenches are better suited for this work. It took about 30 minutes to complete the job. You take off the 13mm center shaft nut first and work the wiper assembly main pivot shaft off the motor, and then remove the three 10mm bolts which hold the motor to the wiper bracket assembly. Keep the bolts from the original motor, as they are the type that has a star washer feature cast into the load bearing surface of the hold down bolt, the new motor won’t have that type of bolt. For reference in case you don’t remember, the motor end of the assembly is toward the passenger side of the coach, but you need to be taking it apart on the driver’s side of the compartment. The generator should be considered the middle of the coach for these directions to make sense.

NOTE: Since ours is a split windshield, after the motor replacement, the arms did not line up quite as good as before, so I called Diesel Equipment and talked to the wiper guru. Using the drawing (emailed to EM so he can add it to tech library), he walked me through over the phone what I need to do to adjust the arms so they are balanced on/or near the center post. I suggest all download the drawing once it's up on the website, and add that to the pamphlets and booklets you have concerning these coaches, if you own the split type of coach model.

If you go to: http://www.dieselequipment.com/getCategory.aspx?catID=3 - you can download all the different types of instructions for either split windshields or one piece windshields. Also note, WRV had a kit number (which will be found on the motor itself) for the split and I believe a kit for the one piece windshields. I sent EM the necessary contact information; look for the specific kit drawings to be posted on the ACA website - technical library section within a few weeks.

Again, WRV did not QA the wiper installation, and I believe in my case, over stressed the arms when they installed them, so it caused the bearings to have excessive pressure on them, and ultimately the motor got so hot it burned up. But removing the motor and replacing it, I believe I relieved the stress, and following the information received can then re-align the arms properly so it does not happen again.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
We have never used our wipers, but we do wax the windshield. Happy trails, Joe
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Cummins ISB 6.7 Turbo 340HP. Allison 6 Speed. Freightliner XCS. Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. SuperSteer MCU. Safe-T-Plus.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
Was it hairy?

Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote