Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #1

I have a 2006 Alpine APEX and recently widowed. I am currently in St. George, UT and want to know what to do to winterize the RV. I emptied the fresh water tank, the grey and black tanks. I filled the fuel tank. Not sure what else I have forgotten. What about the bottle the holds the distilled water for the gravity feed system for the batteries? Any assistance will be appreciated.
ltibbitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #2

Ity- The distilled water tank should be drained. Also there are "low point drains" for the interior water plumbing at the lower left (I think; I don't have an Apex) of the utility bay panel. If you open the faucets inside, then open the two drains, you should get water out that could otherwise freeze.

It's best, tho, to move the coach to a warm beach and live there till the snow is gone. Best of luck. Hopefully some Apexers will round out the procedures.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

Itibbitts,

Some additional things I do to winterize when I don't go south for the sun, as has been the case this, year, are:

1)Empty the water filters -- just unscrew them, dump them out and re-install them. I use this as a time to put in new water filters that don't have water in them.
1a)Empty your water heater (if you don't have Aqua-hot or Hydrohot) by unscrewing the anode rod. I put in a valve from Camping World that allows me to empty the tank without removing this anode rod, but you can easily drain it by removing the rod and opening the valve at the top of the water heater.
2)Disconnect the water hose up to your ice maker in your refer (usually located in the bay where the on/off valve to the icemaker is located), and drain the water from that hose.
3)Empty the low point drains as E-Mike suggested, with some of your faucets inside open to relieve any trapped air. Turn the water pump on for 15 -30 seconds or so to pump any trapped water that you may find. Also, make sure you open the spray hose for the toilet and let any water pump out of it into a pan or other catch mechanism, lower than the toilet bowl.
4)Put a little RV water system antifreeze in the drains in your sinks and shower so it goes in the traps.
5)Replace the water in the toilet bowl with a little of the same RV antifreeze.
6)Drive around a little bit with the low point drains, fresh tank drains, and water heater drains open to shake any other loose water out.
7)Finally, fill your propane tank and set your furnace to the minimum setting (40 degrees in mine) to keep a little heat in your coach and in your bays, where your tanks are located. This keeps everything warm enough to take care of the other potential freezing.

This works for me; hope it works for you. Can't tell you how to take care of Aqua/Hydro hot, other than perhaps keep them on the lowest heat setting with a full fuel tank. Others with these systems can help you with that.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #4

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have done some of them already. Will try some of the others too. I agree about the RV being in a warmer place. Next year I think I will do just that.
ltibbitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Winterizing

After my icemaker's waterline disintegrated, requiring removal of the refrigerator to replace, I took to unplugging the icemaker's 120V supply after draining and blowing out the line. But then, I leave my motorhome plugged in when it's parked.

So far, the only freeze damage I've had is to the icemaker line and valve - it's not easy to be sure that line is properly blown clear of water.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #6

It might be a wise move if you took the motohome to someone that works on motorhomes and had them winterize it for you this time. Missing something could way exceed the cost of having the winterizing done by persons that are in that business. The cost of something freezing and destroying whatever could be frightening. Then next year you can go south and all will be well.

Just a thought.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

I guess I wasn't quite clear. I've been winterizing my motorhome by blowing out all lines (and filters) for many years now. I prefer that to using potable antifreeze because the de-winterizing is simpler. Don't trust professionals since I saw a split water filter on a new coach at a local dealer. But the icemaker line is particularly tricky and vulnerable, and I finally figured out that having the frost-proofing heater on when there's no water in the line probably shortens the life of the plastic.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote