Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #1

winterizing with a aqua hot heater

I have blown out the lines and drained water,using the low point drains, put antifreeze in traps but can I use the aqua hot for heating. did i drain out the water from the aqua hot using the above mentioned process?
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Did i drain out the water from the aqua hot using the above mentioned process?
Nope, the Aqua-Hot coolant is a special mixture of Eco-friendly anti-freeze plus distilled water. it is stored in its own tank and circulated within its own system.

The fresh water loop that you had winterized is simply a loop of pipes located inside the coolant tank that absorb the heat from the coolant.

Hopefully you got ALL of the water out when you winterized with your method as it is a VERY expensive lesson if you did not.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

I assume this means that you will not have the AquaHot operating full time but you want to use it periodically for heat but not hot water. The answer is yes you can. I would pump potable RV antifreeze through the water supply system, particularly the hot water side so that the antifreeze is in the AquaHot fresh water loop. It's way to easy for a low spot in the plumbing to trap some water in a pocket. A freeze in the AquaHot fresh water plumbing can be a very expensive mistake ($8-10,000). Don't take the chance. None of this affects the boiler fluid which is in the big AquaHot tank and is the hot fluid that is pumped to the heating registers to heat the coach. They can be used anytime regardless of the fact that the fresh water lines have been winterized. You will have to run the diesel burner if you expect to get heat in a timely manner.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Thank you, i hope I don't have a problem as it is going to start to warm up a bit and having been down to 17 degrees if it is ok, net time i will use antifreeze also but too late now to do it..do have an electric heater in the bay that has the plumbing and I check it each day..I did a test by adding water and checking water pump operation and then redrained it all and at that time all was ok..I have indoor storage reserved for next winter now that i am not going to Arizona for all of the winter any more..
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #5

Hi Mel,
Give me a call\You have my #
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

Has anyone of our experts ever put together a procedure list of winterizing our rigs? would be different for rigs with aqua hot or conventional heating..must be some out there that could sure use this information.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #7

1. Key in ignition
2. turn key, start engine, inflate air bags
3. Trans in drive, parking brake off
4. head south to sun & fun
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #8

Great answer. short and doesn't take long to do.. I just came back from AZ too early.. am now selling our AZ place in Cottonwood..thanks Mike
Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
All - Hydro hot recommends that you install approved RV antifreeze in all fresh water lines if you plan to store coach where temps could freeze and cause plumbing problems. They will not warranty unit, where that procedure is not followed. Blowing out the lines with air is NOT THE APPROVED METHOD to winterize the system, as you will not be able to get all the water out, I know I tried, and luck held that winter and did not damage unit. Then went to HH school to learn how to fix them, and the procedure was explained to us in class.

Depending on how coach is setup, it's easy or comnplicated as can be. In our case, we drain fresh water tank, disconnet hose from tank to pump, put longer hose on inlet side of pump, and put hose end in gallon container of rv antifreeze, and then run system to push the red stuff through the plumbing system, about 3-5 gallons of the stuff, so both hot and cold lines are completely filled. I want to install a shut off valve and disconnect, but when I think of doing it, the fresh water tank is always full, and then forget.

EM's suggestion is the better one, stay south until all threats of cold weather is over.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater