Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Wiper motor part numbers and fantastic service from Diesel Equipment CO

HI all, my wipers finally gave up the ghost on 550 between Durango and Ouray. Turns out the nut got lose on the motor and stripped out the splines on the arm.

After some research here I found Diesel Equipment in Greensboro NC as a supplier.

Well I always figured exceptional service should be recognized, Neenie in the wiper department went to great lengths to find the motor I needed off of some pictures I sent. BTW the "windshield wiper assembly 2-piece 97-96 from the Alpine Tech Library is not accurate for '99 coaches, at least not for mine. The date on the drawing is '03 so it's probably for later 2 piece windshield units.

Anyway after finding the motor Neenie dug through out of date/used parts to find an arm with the ball on it which is NLA, she found a used one and tossed it in free of charge. After I gave my CC info she said she'd keep looking for a better one.

All in all she spent so much time I can't believe this transaction will net a profit for them.

Part numbers for the motors are

DECJ791 Dynamic park $78.22
DECJ652 coast to park $78.22

If you have the ball type arm on the motor, good luck finding a replacement. I'm going to MIG weld the hole up and re-drill it for a spare.

To top it all off both Neenie and Steve, the guy that drew the original diagrams for WRV are still there from the days WRV was having the systems designed!!
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I'll file that away. Thanks
shortlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
HI all, my wipers finally gave up the ghost on 550 between Durango and Ouray. Turns out the nut got lose on the motor and stripped out the splines on the arm.

After some research here I found Diesel Equipment in Greensboro NC as a supplier.

Well I always figured exceptional service should be recognized, Neenie in the wiper department went to great lengths to find the motor I needed off of some pictures I sent. BTW the "windshield wiper assembly 2-piece 97-96 from the Alpine Tech Library is not accurate for '99 coaches, at least not for mine. The date on the drawing is '03 so it's probably for later 2 piece windshield units.

Anyway after finding the motor Neenie dug through out of date/used parts to find an arm with the ball on it which is NLA, she found a used one and tossed it in free of charge. After I gave my CC info she said she'd keep looking for a better one.

All in all she spent so much time I can't believe this transaction will net a profit for them.

Part numbers for the motors are

DECJ791 Dynamic park $78.22
DECJ652 coast to park $78.22

If you have the ball type arm on the motor, good luck finding a replacement. I'm going to MIG weld the hole up and re-drill it for a spare.

To top it all off both Neenie and Steve, the guy that drew the original diagrams for WRV are still there from the days WRV was having the systems designed!!
Hi Dave, I have the same unit as you. I would not want to loose my wipers on 550 between Ouray and Durango in a snow storm......
I lost mine in themiddle of the Ms river bridge in one land construction at night, not fun. Here was my experience,; after finally getting to motor our, the splines were stripped. I was in Minneapolis and found a used one at MCI Bus Service. put it back to gether and there was still a problem. Upon putting 2 pair of pliers on the shaft with the nylon gears, we discovered the shaft would spin in the housing. back to MCI for more parts.

Diesel Equipment in Greensboro, NC is aka Wiper Technology. I am sure you have the phone, but here it is for others. 800 632 4958 I also had a good experience with these folks. old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We lost ours in WY in the middle of a snow storm, so we pulled over till it quit. We could cycle them occasionaly but the motor was the problem. We called the company above, gave them the WRV number on a sticker on the OEM motor, and they had the new one to us in less than a week. It took about an hour to change with all the various things needed to unhook, etc. They work perfectly now, and the Company above is a pleasure to work with.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Just thought I'd post a quick update.

The motor and used arm came in Thursday, I got around to messing with it today. A few things I learned.

1. My '99 came with a coast to park (3 wire) type motor but had 5 wires in the terminal that plugged into the motor. I ordered a dynamic (power) park motor on the off chance it would work, it did. The wipers now park in exactly the same place every time.

2. The motor and arm combination will not go through the hole in the motor mount. Cutting the corners off of the arm will allow the arm to pass through the hole when attached to the motor.

3. As I said above the ball type arm is no longer available, my old one was totally stripped. Neenie sent a used one so which was in better condition. After trimming the corners off so the arm would pass through the hole I installed the motor, positioned the arm properly then tightened the nut as best I could in position. I then removed the motor/arm combination, took it into the shop and was able to get another 1/2 turn on the nut. I then grabbed my MIG welder and put tack welds from the nut to the arm and from the nut across the top of the shaft. If you try this be sure to have a damp rag to cool the piece between tack welds.

The motor shaft, nut and arm is now essentially one piece, no danger of the nut coming lose and stripping the splines.

4. If the wiper system ever goes south again a complete modern system can be sent out to order, didn't ask price but it's nice to know that with a few measurements we're back on the road.

5. WalMart of all places has 28" wiper blades that will fit with just a bit of modification.

I now have wipers again, total price ~$90 plus some time.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

NAPA has direct replacement wiper refills (WIP 602809) but they are not usually in stock at local stores. Grainger also has the wiper arms.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Costco Wholesale has bins full of wiper blades in the 26-28" size, that is usually where I buy mine.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Tru Vision makes a 32" wiper that easily fits our two-piece windshield and REALLY increases the covered area. It also covers the form of the windshield better than my old 28" wipers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0405.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	24445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0406.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	24446  

Tags
diesel, service