Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

I purchased a SAF-TEE Corp.'s wireless valve stem tire pressure sensor unit for my coach and towed jeep in June. I finally got it installed in early July. Since that time I have 1 sensor that never worked and 3 that work occasionally. I have tried unsuccessfully to leave a message at the phone number that was provided to me, but they never return my call or answer the phone. I have had the same results with e-mails. Does anyone know if this business is still operating?

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #2

I purchased a SAF-TEE Corp.'s wireless valve stem tire pressure sensor unit for my coach and towed jeep in June. I finally got it installed in early July. Since that time I have 1 sensor that never worked and 3 that work occasionally. I have tried unsuccessfully to leave a message at the phone number that was provided to me, but they never return my call or answer the phone. I have had the same results with e-mails. Does anyone know if this business is still operating?

40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

No, they are not. See the long, long post on RV.net about them.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 AM   #4

Jim, we got the smart tire on our 34' alpine coach and love it..check with Les Schwab in Yakima or Junction City. Mel and Lorene
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, We also had Smarttire installed on our '05 by Les Schwab and have had no problems with it, I would do it again.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #6

The only thing I don't like about the Smart Tire System is you can't check your tires before you leave a campground or home with out first moving your coach. Or at least I haven't found out a way to do that. The other thing I don't like about the system is where the gauge was installed on the dash. Very hard to read while driving.
I use the Pressure Pro System. You don't get as much information as the Smart Tire but I think tire pressure is the most important.
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #7

We have the SmartTire installed by Les Schwab in Yakima, when the coach was new. Ours was installed with the display that isn't built into the dash, like on the 07 SE's. So located our display on the dash on the left side of the driver's seat, just in front of the window shade switches. It's easy to see and easy to work through the settings.

To get around the issue of the SmartTire not working till we've traveled a mile or so, I take a visual inspection of the tires before we leave in the morning to see if anything looks low. If not, I get in the coach and drive a few minutes, until the display is fully tuned and check the pressure. Have not had a problem yet doing this.

I do cross-check periodically with my manual tire pressure guage and find I'm usually within 1 or 2 psi of the manual guage, with SmartTire.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #8

Another way to go is the Pressure Pro system which does not require the removal of the tires from the wheels AND gives the added advantage of portability.

The pressure sensor caps can easily be moved from tire to tire and I have never lost a sensor.

I use the system on our Coach and tow and can then move it to my truck and toy hauler.

I have used this system for 4-5 years with no problems and it has alerted me to one low tire on the trailer I was towing.

I believe Pressure Pro may be less expensive than SmarTire.

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I have the same Pressure Pro system as C&H and have had the same excellent service. The system has been installed for 3 years and took me about an hour to install.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #10

Just to add another Pressure Pro voice, I have had a Pressure Pro system for about 3 years also but have experienced some slight problems. First, depending on the overall distance to the sensors, and location of the receiver (display) you might "loose" a sensor from time to time. This is also dependent on the adjacent terrain that can provide some reflection of the sensor signals so they can be picked up. I was running a total of 18 sensors and the distance from the receiver to the most distant sensor was about 75', and in flat country I often "lost" the distant sensor(s). There is a "Repeater" available, and also a remote mounted antenna which probably would eliminate most problems.

An additional issue with the Pressure Pro, versus the SmartTire systems (in addition to the additional $1000 approximate cost + installation costs), is a positive feature not available on the Pressure Pro system, the Temperature monitoring, and possibly overpressure monitoring. I had an experience where I lost an axle bearing on a 5th wheel and wasn't aware of it until I had a full bearing/spindle failure, whereas if I had a SmartTire system it would have warned me of the OverTemperature when the hub started to heat up.

I presently have 10 sensors on our rig and toad, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Pressure Pro for this application since the likelyhood of loosing an axle bearing on either the RV or the Toad is pretty slim. On a towed trailer with packed bearings, I'd feel better with the SmartTire system. Out of 20 sensors, I've only had a problem with one. My experience with product support has been excellent, with the Engineer willing to talk direct with me.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #11

Jim,
Did you try taking the monitor and antenna out to the toad and see if it then can pick up readings? Also you will need to verify that the right sensor codes are entered into the monitor. I had two that were mis programmed. They had entered a 6 instead of b, and on another they had the number/letter inversed.

I have had problems with the monitor dropping readings while driving, mostly the front two tires of the toad and the inside duals. I was able to rectify the problem by placeing my antenna as far towards the back of the RV as possible.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #12

We recently got the Doran 360RV tire pressure sensor system and I really like it, but, we, too, lose contact with some of the sensors. I keep the main unit on the left side of the dash, and I occasionally lose contact with the two right side tires of the toad. I moved the main unit to the center of the dash, and I then lost the two rear tires of the toad. I also noticed that when I was stopped, or moving 45 MPH or less, I was fine, but at higher speeds, it would drop occasionally. I talked with the folks at Doran, and they said speed shouldn't affect it. However, what is around the coach, may. If there is more traffic, or if you're in a more urban area, there are more things for the signal to bounce off, and therefore, more likely to communicate with the main unit. On the open road, you don't have that advantage. They also suggested that something in the engine may be blocking the signal from the car and having the unit higher up may take care of the problem. I can get a booster, but I think I may just live with it.
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #13

I am sure that Saf-TTE (or what ever they are trying to call themselves) is out of business. I had a set on order and gave them about 40 days to deliver. All I got from them was lies on delivery and like you finally I couldn't contact them. I got my money back from the CC company.
Some other company may start carrying them as a product.

Good luck

Glen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Since no one mentioned it here I assume none of you have had any trouble with anybody stealing your valve cap transmitters. I've had all six of my chrome valve caps stolen, probably by kids wanting them for their bicycles. I just wander if this has been a problem, or do these sensor/transmitter valve stem devices attach so you can't just unscrew them?

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote