Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
WRV/Alpine Coach

Does anyone out there no how to get ahold of ether Rex Ames, or Mark Hara, from WRV/Alpine Coach I have a 2005 40FDQS with a problem with the dash air I have been doing some checking around and it looks like they had something to do with a fan kit or??? to fix the problem any one that might no something or how i could contact ether one of them please let me no thanks Roger.
hotrodder555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Believe you are referring to the hydraulic solenoid kit that was designed as an after-market upgrade for 2003 an older Alpine coaches with "wax valve" fan controllers. Your 05 has an electronic fan controller which, unlike the older wax valve configuration, is fully integrated with the dash A/C controls......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club

Hello and Welcome Roger, when you say you are having problems with the dash air fan what kind of problems are you having? We here on the Alpine Coach Forum might be able to assist you if we have more information. Best of luck.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Dave, thanks for getting back to me when I turn on the dash air its not cold my eng fan doesn't start up,I havehad it in to the cummins dl and they can't fig it out. My eng fan runs slow and sometimes even stops, do you know anything about the electric controler box back on the rail by the the rad shroud I have heard that alpine had some problems with the dash air and with that box in the rear of the bus??? any help would be great right now it is at cummins and they can't fig it out I'm lost thanks Roger.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #5

Ref my original post to you--your 05 has an electronic control for the engine fan that also has a dash A/C interface to provide air flow over the radiator stack when needed by the A/C. The interface portion of the electronic box could have failed by itself, but based on a variety of posts on this forum, owners usually have issue with the engine fan run full-speed, all the time, when the box fails. Part numbers and supply sources are also provided on this forum. Finally, you haven't mentioned anything about the A/C system components eg, 134a levels/pressures, compressor/clutch running, 134a hi/low cutoff switch working, dash fan and air diversion dams working, etc.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 08-31-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dave, it is still at Cummins and they can't figure it out I keep telling them about the control box and so on. The air cond works blows just not cold they have filled the freon the pressure levels keep going up do to the eng fan not running, I am hoping that they will find something today all I here from them is that alpine is not being built anymore and that they don't no anything about the peck chassie I hope we can fine something out I like the bus but sure don't need the hassle every time I go in for service thanks roger
Old 08-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
What Cummins dealer is your coach at? Northwest Cummins (Washington and Oregon) has had a LOT of experience with Alpines. The Peak chassis has nothing to do with the fan controller.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:02 PM   #8

Watching this post with interest, I have the same symptoms with my AC. Even had dye in system to look for leaks to no avail. When they recharged my system, it was cold for approximately 45 minutes then no more. So now we have just been using the roof top units while traveling.
William Schnieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:18 PM   #9

Going to assume your local Cummins shop is not a Coach Care facility? Accordingly, they only have a passing interest in working on something non-Cummins, like your A/C system. Notwithstanding the hours of labor already charged, their "concern" that Alpines aren't made any more, or that they don't know anything about fan controllers, is not encouraging. Sounds to me like they are backing away from the problem.
There is an evening's worth of reading on this forum about solving dash A/c issues on older and newer Alpines. Assuming the dash A/C components are working properly, any significant increase in 134a pressure should result in a corresponding increase in engine fan speed. Your situation suggests that either the fan control has failed--yet you have made no mention of the engine overheating or the fan going to full speed--typical of a controller failure. The other option is that the dash A/C pressure sensor signal isn't getting thru.
The electronic fan controller is a fairly common part in the diesel RV world--not unique to Alpine by any means. Several Alpines owners have replaced this controller in their coaches--hopefully, one of them will chime in with part numbers and sourcing information. However, without a thorough diagnosis of what is causing your issue, getting a new controller might proved to be an expensive "shot in the dark." Think I would start looking for a "second opinion".......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #10

HERES WHAT I HAVE FOUND,... THE DASH AC ON ALPINE IS POOR BY DESIGN... IT WAS BUILT in the north west and doesn't work in the south west... the problem is condensor placement, and side radiator... the condenser needs to be up front where there is forced air blowing across it..every drive with your window down....now, ever drive a car with no windshield???

the condenser on the alpine is stacked on the radiator... and no fans...

by the time the engine heats up the condenser is over heated... now try to drive around town in the havasu 125 degree heat..the pop off lets the Freon out.... no leaks but now you are low on Freon..stacking the condenser on top of a side radiator only causes problems...there is no air flow... and it blocks what little there is from cooling the radiator....

I seen a thread where someone moved the condenser to the other side and added electric fans that come on when the ac is turned on..pretty good idea

I also seen on the alpine site where a guy added pusher fans,... but on mine no room for that... got about 1/2'' from the grille
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #11

Ok--it is true that Alpines were built in the northwest but the A/C system was a generic automotive application made by ACME Air Products in Indiana [now defunct]. Vehicle manufacturers probably had options as to how to install the components, including placing the condenser in the radiator stack, but this approach is not limited to Alpines. As mentioned earlier, older Alpines used mechanical wax valves, with no A/C interface, to control the engine fan. However, by 2005 [maybe 2004], WRV had switched to an electronic fan controller that included a dash A/C interface. IF the electronic controller is working properly, engine temps will not effect the fan's ability to respond to dash A/C system requirements for air flow/cooling.
Agree--moving the condenser forward and adding electric fans is a better design [did this on my 03 Alpine [w/wax valve]], but shouldn't really be needed with an electronic fan controller.
PS--not familiar with a "pop-off valve" for 134a--high-pressure limit sensor will shut off compressor clutch, but no intentional venting of 134a into the environment--don't think the EPA would permit such a design.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 09-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ok--it is true that Alpines were built in the northwest but the A/C system was a generic automotive application made by ACME Air Products in Indiana [now defunct]. Vehicle manufacturers probably had options as to how to install the components, including placing the condenser in the radiator stack, but this approach is not limited to Alpines. As mentioned earlier, older Alpines used mechanical wax valves, with no A/C interface, to control the engine fan. However, by 2005 [maybe 2004], WRV had switched to an electronic fan controller that included a dash A/C interface. IF the electronic controller is working properly, engine temps will not effect the fan's ability to respond to dash A/C system requirements for air flow/cooling.
Agree--moving the condenser forward and adding electric fans is a better design [did this on my 03 Alpine [w/wax valve]], but shouldn't really be needed with an electronic fan controller.
PS--not familiar with a "pop-off valve" for 134a--high-pressure limit sensor will shut off compressor clutch, but no intentional venting of 134a into the environment--don't think the EPA would permit such a design.
there is a pop off... I had to change mine on the 04... there suposed to hold 350lb... mine was letting go way sooner... thats what baffles most is the fact that they can't find a leak... but yet they are low on Freon..I own an auto AC shop...my 04 doesn't have anything to turn on the fans but the engine heat.... so again... it will bleed off Freon and the dash air will only blow cold for a day or two... then back to low Freon...

did you move yours to the front or the other side??and did you notice any difference in engine cooling... mine runs at 190..pulling long grades it will climb to 200.. but then cool right back down...

look on the back side of your compressor... should see a little brass valve.... kinda looks like a brass plug
Old 09-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #13

Guess the pop-off valve must be a last resort as the hi-pressure sensor should be shutting off the compressor well before the valve goes--kind of like a hot water heater I would think. If the valve was dumping 134a, seems like there would be a fairly extensive stain/dust/dirt, from the accompanying compressor oil, collecting on/around this valve?????
Again, my 03 has the wax valve with no A/C interface. Living in south Texas, I suspect mine was routinely hitting its hi-pressure point and shutting off the compressor. In addition to poor cooling performance, overtime, I was getting hose and connection leaks. I have a mid-door floor-plan so the area under the passenger seat floor, in front of the wheel-well, was perfect to relocate the condenser--also made it easy to add electric fans and a relay off the compressor clutch control circuit. Running 37ft of new A/C hose to the front was not fun but the results have been outstanding.
Perhaps as important as the improved dash cooling performance, I like the fact that I am no longer dependent on a 25hp engine fan to provide air flow over the condenser. Haven't noticed any difference in engine cooling--the older Cummins ISL engines seem to run pretty cool--its always run around 190, maybe 200-205 on a long climb.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Guess the pop-off valve must be a last resort as the hi-pressure sensor should be shutting off the compressor well before the valve goes--kind of like a hot water heater I would think. If the valve was dumping 134a, seems like there would be a fairly extensive stain/dust/dirt, from the accompanying compressor oil, collecting on/around this valve?????
Again, my 03 has the wax valve with no A/C interface. Living in south Texas, I suspect mine was routinely hitting its hi-pressure point and shutting off the compressor. In addition to poor cooling performance, overtime, I was getting hose and connection leaks. I have a mid-door floor-plan so the area under the passenger seat floor, in front of the wheel-well, was perfect to relocate the condenser--also made it easy to add electric fans and a relay off the compressor clutch control circuit. Running 37ft of new A/C hose to the front was not fun but the results have been outstanding.
Perhaps as important as the improved dash cooling performance, I like the fact that I am no longer dependent on a 25hp engine fan to provide air flow over the condenser. Haven't noticed any difference in engine cooling--the older Cummins ISL engines seem to run pretty cool--its always run around 190, maybe 200-205 on a long climb.
I admire you for tackling that job, and wanna thank you for all your posts about alpines you real know themsome of the stuff they did don't makes sense... but over all they are a great coach..hard to replace with out getting less for way more money..

I wasn't even sure my fan was kicking on so I went up a grade and stopeed and got out and looked.. fan was working but didn't take long to shut off as the motor never really gets hot.....