Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #57

I finally had my steering bracket installed at Henderson Line up in Grants Pass, OR. I have noticed a better handling coach now. Bracket installed with a little over 21,000 miles and no signs of cracking.

Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #58

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Most mfgr's use up expensive inventory, like steering gear brackets I would assume. So it is possible there may be a 2003 w/the Type3 bracket, or a 2004 w/the Type2.

I can't seem to find a convenient reference to a Type2 bracket photo; maybe someone can post a view looking up into the bracket from the bottom?
Hope the attachment uploads okay. I think this may be a 2A because the forward bolts are in front of the S-bend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Bracket 2A.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	4546  

F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #59

F&D- Yes, that's a type2, 5/16" steel plate and not known to fail by the fatigued rear-flange/rear-face.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #60

Alpine Owners Club
EM

Been reading all the posts on the steering wheel bracket, looking at the pics, etc. But I am totally lost as to what I should be looking for, and I am not mechanical at all. It sounds like our 2005 38' FDTS serial # 75334 is a strong canidate for the bracket.

Read where someone had one of your kits installed in Fresno, CA. Anyone you know of in Sacramento, CA ? Do you still have the kit I'd need ?

When I got new tires put on last fall, I was sent to Les Schwab in West Sacramento, CA for a four wheel alignment, as I was told, because the front tires were showing wear on the inside edge. After the alignment was complete and I was driving home, when ever I'd make a hard turn to the right, there was a loud clunk and a jerk in the steering wheel as I striaghtened out the front wheels.

I returned to the Schwab dealer and he readjusted something, cause the something was bumping on something [ Sorry ] and he told me that he was unable to get a perfect alignment with the steering wheel being centered. So now I have a very slight turn in the steering wheel to drive straight. Is this any condition that connects to all this discussion ?

Help please... Thanks in advance...

Dave Stanley
Vacaville, CA
Dave Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #61

Dave- if your steering wheel was straight & no clunk before alignment, I'd guess they screwed something up and couldn't figure out how to get it unscrewed (up).
I have a minor amount of shoulder wear at 25,000 and 3 year old tires, so I'm not worried about where I'll be at 6 years. I'm sure I'll have plenty of tread when I replace tires for old age.

To see the bracket torquing, do the following:
1) get a willing accomplice to turn the wheel for you while you inspect
2) run gen slide out
3) position yourself in the space between LH fuel fill and gen (just ahead of driver), and sighting rearward along the inside edge of the lower frame channel. You will have your head close to the left-hand side of the gen to do this.
4) have tha accomplice turn the steering wheel back & forth, lock to lock a few times.

You will see the middle of the lower channel torquing in and out (perpendicular to the long axis of the frame) where the rear Huck bolts are holding the steering gear bracket to the frame (about 24-30" back from front of the frame). The OEM bracket is torquing similarly on the LH side of the frame member. Note that the front anchors for the OEM bracket don't move similarly, so the "box" that constitutes the bracket has to twist that amount for the frame to be moving like it is.

the other way you can check is to crawl under the rig & watch the OEM bracket from the back side, looking up at about 30 degrees and forward about 45 degrees. This is harder to do for most folks than the gen slide view.
If you have time in the next few weeks to run the coach over to the east side of the Sacramento area (Loomis), I can be the willing accomplice for you and show you what's happening. Give me a call at 916-240-2141 if you want to do that.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:40 PM   #62

Alpine Owners Club
Steering stiffener

Mike: Thank you Sandy for getting the kit to me a Redman. I installed it on Tue. 7 Sept. Very easy to install. took about 2.4 Hrs. Will post pic. as soon as I get my other lap top out of the shop. Did all 6 bolts. My steering bracket was welded on all 3 sides like they should have insted of cutting corners. Just did it to play safe. Thanks again. BH

04 40' MDTS 04 PT GT HP/ 05 Dodge 4X4 ( can't tell I'm a MOPAR man)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #63

Alpine Owners Club
WRV Alpine Steering Bracket

I got one from Engineering Mike. My son & I install it in 4 hours. No problem - Mike's directions were great.
Used my 1/2" Mikita with a 5/8" bit purchased from Fastenal. At low speed the bit went right through.

The whole job was fairly easy. My son did the work - I did the supervising. That's The Truth!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #64

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Dave- if your steering wheel was straight & no clunk before alignment, I'd guess they screwed something up and couldn't figure out how to get it unscrewed (up).
I have a minor amount of shoulder wear at 25,000 and 3 year old tires, so I'm not worried about where I'll be at 6 years. I'm sure I'll have plenty of tread when I replace tires for old age.
Mike: I just discovered that my LH steer tire is quite worn on the inside shoulder after only 70,000 miles (DOT date 3804). The outside shoulder is fine; so is the (much newer) RH steer tire. What causes that abnormal wear?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #65

Frank- Not from personal experience, but by anecdotal evidence I've heard that not replacing a tire for 70,000 miles will cause some wear.
IIWM&I got 70k on a set of tires, I'd be happy and not worried about shoulders.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #66

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by F&D ABQ View Post
Mike: I just discovered that my LH steer tire is quite worn on the inside shoulder after only 70,000 miles (DOT date 3804). The outside shoulder is fine; so is the (much newer) RH steer tire. What causes that abnormal wear?
Greetings from Palm Springs,
Frank, Wow! 70,000 happy miles. Since that tire is 6 years old, I would consider replaceing it soon due to age. Last February I had a RF blowout of a 5 year old tire that cost $13,000 to fix. You don't want to go thru that. Had a front end alignment lately?

I notice that as of today, Engineering Mike has 3000 posts on the forum.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #67

I imagine some day soon I'll turn 10,000, but I'll still feel young.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:31 AM   #68

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
Greetings from Palm Springs,
Frank, Wow! 70,000 happy miles. Since that tire is 6 years old, I would consider replaceing it soon due to age. Last February I had a RF blowout of a 5 year old tire that cost $13,000 to fix. You don't want to go thru that. Had a front end alignment lately?

I notice that as of today, Engineering Mike has 3000 posts on the forum.
And I languish at 147 (same number for the two previous posts in this thread)!

Basil, I'm going to push it about 300 miles further, then (assuming the coach is still in one piece) get an alignment and a replacement tire, in that order, next Wednesday.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Franklin the new tire should be on "before" the alignment.

Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #70

Alpine Owners Club
All - EM & I did the steering bracket on our APEX with 23K miles. We did this at DRR-X, and it took about 2 hours. My bracket had some cracking on it. When I get home I will drill and tap the last two holes but for now it steers with less correction and the coach seems to ride better, we cannot figure out why that is, but it does.