Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mike
I did an install of the bracket stiffener kit on an 05 FDDS 36 today...
Hey E-Mike ...I wish you would run out of projects on Alpines ...I am thinking I can make up a list of things on a Monaco you can come do with SacsTC if you ever get bored!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #30

I Finally got around to installing my steering bracket . It is complete less tapping the 2 upper holes in the OEM bracket. I have the 2 holes drilled and the other 6 fasteners torqued. I will go get the tap Monday and finish the job.

I spent a little longer than Louie did about 3 hours ( a lot of time was spent waiting on my drill’s batteries to charge) and still have about an hour to go tapping the last 2 holes. I had a 5/8 x ¼ bushing lying around so I used it to locate my ¼ pilot holes except the 2 upper OEM bracket holes. I chose to drill the holes using a lot of oil and a fast speed. I drilled and installed bolts as I went. Then disassembled, removed all burrs and touched up the paint. I reinstalled the bracket and torqued the 6 bolts per the instructions using a lot of red Loctite.

Thanks Emike for a well thought out kit. As Louie said this is a moderate effort project. Now back to the HWH 625 panel problem.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #31

FYI all- just got some photos of an 03, sold new in March of 03. It has the Type3 bracket that needs reinforcing, as well as Vansco multiplexing consistent w/the 2004 model year brochure. I have also seen an 04 coach w/a Type2 bracket.

So for those w/03 coaches- you should verify whether you have the Type3 bracket, or the earlier version.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #32

E-Mike - I have been following the Alpine coach forum for several years. I'd probably have one by now if the stock and housing markets hadn't taken a dive. I've been following the steering bracket issue with great interest. In looking at the photos it looks like the bracket may be able to be made in a single fabrication. I'm a Mfg Eng and produce flat pattern developments for our 4000w laser. I could form it in our 300T press brake and handle any welding. If you could e-mail me a PDF sketch, I can check into what I can do. 5/16" or 3/8" 304ss ought to provide more than adequate tensile & yeild strnght. I'm thinking the bracket costs could be reduced. My house is on the market and if it sells I'm going to biuy an Alpine and retire!

mncanoer
mncanoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:24 AM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
eMike -

Does that 2003 have adjustable pedals?

My 2003 doesn't seem to flex (built 5/2002). It does not have adjustable pedals. I hope I'm not missing anything.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #34

If the internal stiffener plates inside the OEM steering gear bracket (look up into it from below) are welded ~1" above the bottom front & rear edges of the bracket, you have a Type2 bracket which will need a welding or other repair eventually, but not the bolt-on stiffener.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #35

How do I get the bracket ? I would like to go to Redlands but it's quite out of the way. I'm presently in El Mirage, Az and there is a Coach Care ten miles away. I read that one member had it installed at a CC. Presently I'm recovering from foot surgery and am in a cast (no weight) for another 4 weeks. Then a walking cast (limited). What do you suggest and thank you ?

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
We're the members who had their bracket installed at the Elkhart, IN Coach Care. We know and trust the techs there and they did a great job. However, all Coach Cares are not equal. Unless you know the quality of the work they do at the CC near you, I'd be careful.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #37

Steering Bracket

Thank you Jim & Ingrid:
Question: How did you get the bracket ? Im going to the coach care facility and bring up the install on the IRV site and get a feel for how they react.

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Chris,

They should be available from our own EMike, all though I think he may be out, with some in production. I am sure that he will reply to you as soon as he sees this post.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #39

I have hardware on order, flat plates are cut. They have to go to machining, bending, welding, then paint, shipping to me, assembly of kits; then they will be ready to ship. I'm guessing 3 weeks for ready to ship. You can PM me for more info.

We are at the Alpine SoCal Vegas rally as we speak. Clear blue skies, gunna be 70 today, and missing y'all.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #40

E Mike-

I looked at a 2004 model (made in 2003) Alpine yesterday that belongs to a person who bought it new but not active on iRV2, except to read posts. He has the hanging pedals like the rest of us and has about 40,000 miles on it. On lock-to-lock turns on concrete at the RV park, I could detect no movement in the bracket. On our '06 the bracket moved almost an inch before we fixed it. The steel in the bracket looked a little heavier than on our '06. He was in a hurry to leave so I didn't get a chance to measure the steel thickness. He had no cracks or any evidence of stress.

Without my searching the main thread on this subject, do you remember, or if in your examination at Quartzite last year, were there some early hanging pedal models that used thicker steel in the bracket, or at least didn't have any flex?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #41

Most mfgr's use up expensive inventory, like steering gear brackets I would assume. So it is possible there may be a 2003 w/the Type3 bracket, or a 2004 w/the Type2. I haven't made a positive finding ont his, tho I may have seen a 2004 w/the earlier bracket. My advice is to make a positive determination in each change-over year case.

There are three distinct markers between types 2 & 3:
1) steel thickness is 5/16" on Type2, 1/4" on Type3
2) internal stiffener plates die about 1" below bottom lip of bracket box on Type2, and about 3" on Type3
3) front face of bracket box (just behind front 1/8" sheet steel bulkhead that you see when you open the gen slide to add fuel) is flat on Type3 and S-curve shaped on Type2. This latter difference can be felt w/the hand with the gen slide open (i.e. don't have to crawl on the ground)- if the thick plate just behind the bulkhead and parallel to it is continuous from the frame to 7" or so toward the DS, then it is a Type3; if it has an interruption in that 7" where it bends back toward the rear it is a Type2. You have to reach up behind the front bulkhead to the level of the bottom of the main frame channels to feel the bracket but it is mere fractions of an inch behind the bulkhead.

A Type3 bracket is well depicted in the first frame of Movie 3 in Post#24 of this thread (you don't have to run the movie, entertaining tho it may be, just wait for the initial image to load without clicking on it to start). A good view of a Type1 bracket is shown in Post#47 of that same thread.

I can't seem to find a convenient reference to a Type2 bracket photo; maybe someone can post a view looking up into the bracket from the bottom?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #42

I don't know if this will help in this discussion but for completeness here is a photo of the bracket on my '98 coach. The metal is 1/4" thick and the internal brace is U-shaped and is welded at the bottom, all the way up both sides and across the top. A small gap at both sides prevents water accumulating behind the stiffener. I don't see there is any way this bracket could flex.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote