Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #1

I've searched the forum for other postings but have only found a couple that discussed WRV bankruptcy with regard to warranties or support. I'm not an attorney, and if there's one on the formum maybe an opinion could be offered, but I was under the impression that motor vehicle manufacturers were required under Federal law to support their products for a period of possibly 10 years. If this is the case, WRV does have a responsibility unless it is relieved by the courts under bankruptcy.

If there is any validity to the potential for WRV-Monomoy responsibility, it appears that there may be something going on that shouldn't be and we may all be missing an opportunity to salvage some support resources. What I'm referring to is the stripping and liquidating of assets from WRV which could be part of an fund to support a Warranty and after warranty support effort. Things like access to schematics, intellectural property rights to designs for aftermarket manufacture, etc..

Maybe if a positive legal opinion could be obtained on this that offered an opportunity for an effort to persue this as a (I hate to say it) Class Action Lawsuit, all Alpine/Alpenlite owners would be interested in supporting it.

I'm concerned that Monomoy may be trying to liquidate the company and pay Monomoy back before declaring bankruptcy, and hope to avoid time restrictions on doing this, normally imposed by bankruptcy law, before filing for bankruptcy.

These are just my thoughts, trying to figure out if there's some way to preserve access to some support resources since WRV doesn't appear to be bankrupt, yet!

johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 AM   #2

I've searched the forum for other postings but have only found a couple that discussed WRV bankruptcy with regard to warranties or support. I'm not an attorney, and if there's one on the formum maybe an opinion could be offered, but I was under the impression that motor vehicle manufacturers were required under Federal law to support their products for a period of possibly 10 years. If this is the case, WRV does have a responsibility unless it is relieved by the courts under bankruptcy.

If there is any validity to the potential for WRV-Monomoy responsibility, it appears that there may be something going on that shouldn't be and we may all be missing an opportunity to salvage some support resources. What I'm referring to is the stripping and liquidating of assets from WRV which could be part of an fund to support a Warranty and after warranty support effort. Things like access to schematics, intellectural property rights to designs for aftermarket manufacture, etc..

Maybe if a positive legal opinion could be obtained on this that offered an opportunity for an effort to persue this as a (I hate to say it) Class Action Lawsuit, all Alpine/Alpenlite owners would be interested in supporting it.

I'm concerned that Monomoy may be trying to liquidate the company and pay Monomoy back before declaring bankruptcy, and hope to avoid time restrictions on doing this, normally imposed by bankruptcy law, before filing for bankruptcy.

These are just my thoughts, trying to figure out if there's some way to preserve access to some support resources since WRV doesn't appear to be bankrupt, yet!

johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #3

John, that has been my understanding for many years in reference to bankruptcies. Four of them I can personally attest to that this was the case and we were able to purchase parts up & till the ten years was up or another company picked up the pieces. I was in Washington a number of years ago and sat on a panel in front of Congress on this very subject and it was definitely upheld and was carried out to the fullest. Possibly this has all changed.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

From what I've seen, including discussions w/Wells Fargo who financed physical plant for the Monomoy acquisition, the "stripping of the plant" was done by the bank. They held a mortgage if you will, on the nuts and bolts. Based on formulae used in a lot of easy-financing private equity deals, if Monomoy's deal worked similarly they were paid out of the easy financing in the initial 10 or so minutes after signing papers.

None of that means that Monomoy wouldn't make good on a warranty claim if submitted. It couldn't hurt to send in the claim.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
How do you suggest we do so, as I have three coach related items, WRV failed to repair prior to our purchasing it. The Front Air Bags don't dump, the HH heating/hot water is not working, and now some trim pieces are starting to fall off, the clips don't seem to hold them on. Additionaly I want to send them a bill for rewiring the transfer switch and the generator wiring since it was finger tight and would have resulted in an electrical fire had I not known about it from reading it on this forum, I figure I'm into them for about 2K, and want them to pay for the air bags and HH not working.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #6

As to those things you've fixed yourself, I'm pretty sure you won't get any reimbursement. I went around w/HHot over internal component failure on their contraption. I sent them the failed device, a limit switch that burned up, and they sent me a new switch at no cost, but if labor wasn't done at an authorized repair facility, they would not budge an inch. They had policy about not getting into discussions w/owners about how much time was spent or if work was req'd, tho authorized facilities were considered good sources for such info. I figured I saved considerable time hauling the coach to & fro and got the security of knowing the job was done correctly by DIY'ing, and the money wasn't sufficiently important to chase.

As to repairs done by qualified facilities, I'd suggest sending Monomoy a letter explaining why you think the expense is covered in the warranty (probably even replicating warranty language that applies), and copies of receipts paid.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:44 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Engineer Mike, it appears the Mixing Valve is defective and won't allow the hot water to work, water flows warm at best. However, I am using a authorized Company, whom HH recommended, and am happy so far with the way they are tring to get HH to step up to the plate. I am however going to call them tomorrow, and try to suggest another track to get me hot water and keep their expenses low. If I had the time off from work, I would drive it to Denver and let them fix it on site. Don't have the time or money for fuel.

Agree with you, trying to get Momomoy to pay for anything would be a waste of time most likely, but with the compartment door latch (71 dollars) and the Entry door not staying open (71 dollars) and no dealer who will fix it under any kind of warranty. The letter is stewing around in my brain, and soon it will hit paper. If for no other reason than blowing off some steam. I can live with the entry door, but the compartment door, needs to lock, because if could vibrate open when going down the road, and that would be unsafe.