Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #1

We were scheduled to be at WRV for some work on April 14th (appointment made last fall while we were there). I had sent our "list" to Chris Scott at his request.

A few minutes ago I got a call from him saying that they were no longer going to do this kind of work at the factory -- including the replacement of the counter that THEIR people broke when we were there last fall!

He suggested that we have the work done at Saddleback RV in California where we purchased the coach. A bit difficult as we are based in Washington. He said perhaps arrangements could be made with a dealer in Washington...

Chris said he was making multiple phone calls as this was just decided this morning. Does anybody have any idea of what is going on?!

2007 Alpine Coach 36 FDTS
rurallady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #2

We were scheduled to be at WRV for some work on April 14th (appointment made last fall while we were there). I had sent our "list" to Chris Scott at his request.

A few minutes ago I got a call from him saying that they were no longer going to do this kind of work at the factory -- including the replacement of the counter that THEIR people broke when we were there last fall!

He suggested that we have the work done at Saddleback RV in California where we purchased the coach. A bit difficult as we are based in Washington. He said perhaps arrangements could be made with a dealer in Washington...

Chris said he was making multiple phone calls as this was just decided this morning. Does anybody have any idea of what is going on?!

2007 Alpine Coach 36 FDTS
rurallady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We also had an appointment for warranty work at the factory starting april 21.

Chris Scott, also has called me and said that they had a new agreement for warranty work at Redlands Truck and RV in our area. He wanted to know if I wanted to try this.

I told him sure, as it will reduce my cost in fuel ($1381.00) and three weeks time.

As a side note we also purchased at Saddleback. When we tried to get our outstanding warranty work completed they said "we are not an Alpine dealer any longer and will not perform warranty work".
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #4

I heard just yesterday that Saddleback JUST re-signed to be an Alpine dealer, so I'm guessing that they will now perform warranty work.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #5

I sure hope you don't have to pay the bill and then get reimbursed.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #6

Yesterday, a client who lives in Yakima said the local paper recently had an article on WRV saying they had just laid off 75 people. I've tried to research this but the local paper is re-doing their archives and it will be a few weeks before you can see previous stories. It is the Yakima Herald Republic.
The tech, where I had warranty work done recently, said they were very slow to pay.
Not good signs.
Add the difficult times for RV sales to the story and it is a worrisome picture.

Clark
Old 03-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Just so that all of us alpine owner's don't get too concerned, this is what I have heard. The lay off's were mainly in the 5th wheel department. Sales of the new Limited series is doing very well, even in this market. The plan for service is, to have most normal repairs and service done at "off site" service centers. The factory would mainly do repairs that required their specialized abilities. This does create some problems for those of us who were planning on getting work done there now. The advantage to us owners is, as 1peddler said, "it will reduce my cost in fuel ($1381.00) and three weeks time." I expect to have some more information on this tomorrow and will post it, if and when I get it.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
FYI - THE YAKIMA PAPER SAID THEY WERE LAYING OFF 47 PEOPLE AND DID A GOOD JOB OF CHECKING OUT THE INDUSTRY. OTHER MANUFACTURERS ARE ALSO LAYING OFF PEOPLE AS THE MARKET IS VERY SLOW, SO DON'T GO JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:28 PM   #9

Sorry Frank, but after many years as an investment advisor I've found that where there's smoke there may be fire.
When people start yelling (putting their comments in caps) I become more concerned about the smoke because it looks like someone else is afraid and is trying to censor.
Given current credit issues, a likely recession and high fuel costs it should be a difficult time for RV sales in general. It may be very prudent to layoff early in the game, but when you also hear of slow pay on warranty claims there are two red flags. I don't know how WRV finances their operations but tightening credit requirements could accelerate problems.
So, while I'm still cautiously optimistic, I'm not a pollyanna.

Clark
Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
I have read the article from the Yakima paper, and saw what Frank saw in terms of the number of layoffs (47, not 75) and the information about layoffs elsewhere in the industry. The article also discussed the reason being the slow economy and the affect on discretionary income.

I understand that there will be a press release issued tomorrow by WRV that will announce an increase in motor coach production due to the success of the "new" Limited models, as well as address the reasoning behind the layoffs. If I can figure out how to get it on here, I'll do so, or perhaps someone more savvy about how to do that stuff here can do so. If anyone can do so, PM me and I'll send you the document in Word format.

As I understand things at WRV, the slowdown is primarily in the towable area (as Dale mentioned). I think that is because many folks that must worry about their discretionary income are looking for RVs that are not in the higher end of the market like our coaches.

Clark, I understand your comments/concerns, but I really believe WRV is working very hard to structure the company in a way to ensure their long-term success. Slow pay on warranty claims is nothing new for WRV...that has been a problem for as long as I've been an Alpine owner, over 7 years. I think that is more a function of lack of controls and a lack of focus on a process that is important to the owners, the dealers and the service centers. I heard there is a new CFO on board...I hope that new CFO reads this and attends to this issue right away.

Finally, I will tell you all that WRV has come forward to sponsor the BBQ we have planned at our Santa Barbara rally a week from Saturday. They are paying for 2 sites to bring up 2 new coaches and buying steaks and chicken for our BBQ. Now, I know this is not a huge expense in the scheme of things, but they didn't have to do this. I doubt they would have come foreward to do this if they were truly in dire financial straits.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now...
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #11

John,

A simple cut & paste should work if you want to post the article.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:30 AM   #12

As President of Saddleback RV, I have watched WRV as they went through their transition from a dysfunctional organization to one that can be proud of the progress they have made. My observation is that their motorized products are much more "market-ready" and the attitude is far more client friendly than we have seen in the past. Additionally, we have had no trouble with warranty receivables for some time now and our shop is currently working on several Alpines both in and out of warranty period.

As a side note, it's great to see that Burk Morgan's desire to provide the finest in care to both his dealers and their clients is finally being supported by the company he is associated with.

Michael Sebastian
Saddleback RV
Old 03-21-2008, 06:34 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
OK...here goes...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Title: President, Western RV
Tel: 1-509-457-4133
Email: bwert@wrv.com

Western RV Announces Increase in Motor Coach Production and
Continues Business Model Re-engineering

Yakima, WA March 20, 2008

Western RV, a manufacturer of premium luxury Motor Coaches, 5th Wheels and Truck Campers, announced today that they will be increasing Alpine Coach Motor Coach production effective immediately. Per Bob Wert, President of WRV, "While we have seen our towable business face strong headwinds, we have seen the Motor Coach portion of our business improve. As the new Alpine Coach Limited Motor Coach has hit dealer lots, we have seen an increase in our business."

In a related move, Western also announced a staff reduction related to on-going efficiency increases in its business model. According to Wert, "The RV business and the economy in general continue to be extremely challenging with regards to sales of all of our products. This change in line rates and reduction in our staffing will decrease our operating costs to a point that more accurately reflects current market conditions. While decisions like these are difficult to make, we are in turbulent market conditions that dictate making these types of changes."

Wert continued, "Western RV will continue to focus our energies on rebuilding the brand, rebuilding our dealer network, and developing and launching products that meet market and customer needs."

Specializing in the manufacture of innovative Motor Coaches, 5th Wheels and Truck Campers inspired by the RV customer experience, Western RV is considered a leader in the premium segment of the RV business. For more information visit www.wrv.com
Old 03-21-2008, 06:44 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Well, Bob, you loosed a monster...

Here's another article to give an indication of the difficulty in the industry...it's not just WRV that is being affected by the economic conditions...

BREAKING NEWS
Winnebago Shares Fall Following 2Q Financials
RV Business
Thursday, March 20, 2008

Shares of Winnebago Industries Inc. fell to the lowest closing price in nearly five years Thursday (March 20) after the Forest City, Iowa motorhome builder reported a 67% drop in second-quarter earnings.

According to Bloomberg, Winnebago shares ended the day down $1.62, or 8.2%, at $18.24 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. That was the lowest closing price since May 2003.

No signs of recovery are visible in the motorhome market as a "difficult" economy discourages consumer spending, President Bob Olson said on a conference call with analysts. The outlook is spurring cost-cutting measures at Winnebago, including a 9% work force reduction, Olson said.

"This surpasses the last cyclical slowdown for the industry," said Kathryn Thompson, an Avondale Partners LLC analyst in Nashville, Tennessee, who cited fewer consumer purchases of more expensive Class A motor homes as the biggest drag on profits. She downgraded Winnebago to "market perform" on Feb. 28.

The company blamed the decline in profit and revenue on a fall-off in motorhome shipments, fewer production days and a shift in demand to smaller, less profitable recreational vehicles.

Worries about a faltering North American economy are weighing on consumer confidence and reducing demand for motorhomes, Olson said in the statement. He said the Federal Reserve's interest rate cuts should have a "positive impact long-term."

The company had expenses of $500,000 related to the job cuts, carried out through layoffs and attrition. Plants were operating at about 52% of capacity in the quarter, Olson said.

Winnebago also said it holds $54.2 million in investment grade, tax-exempt auction rate securities, mostly collateralized by student loans guaranteed by the U.S. government and the rest with insurance companies.

Until February, when a number of auctions "failed," the investments were classified as short-term securities.

Winnebago has now reclassified them as long-term investments because of uncertainty of when they may be able to be sold. The company is evaluating whether the investments need to be classified as "temporarily impaired" or otherwise reclassified, the statement said. A decision will be made by April 10.