Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Jim, it's like a new "anything" it's a matter of learning all about the pieces that make up the whole of the unit.

It took us a year to understand the Lexus Navigation system so we could use it when in a strange place. The owners manual was 440 pages, it's also was the Entertainment manual as well. All touch screen, quite handy, but a lot to learn.

We traded it in on the Coach, since, we had another car, and although the Little Lady could get 28 MPG from it, I never could, best I could do was 24-25. Must be my heavy foot.

I do however just keep the coach speed control set to 60 when on the freeway. Any faster, and it sucks the fuel. Wonder can I get tax brake on the fuel, since some of it is for heat and genset, which are off road devices, that would save some money.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
MRL

What happened here? Los Angeles Times/21Jul99 - Fleetwood to Buy Western Recreational

Old 12-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Basically the WRV management got so many complaints from present owners they cancelled the sale at that time. At least that is what I heard. All Fleetwood wanted if my memory is good was the motorhome peak chassis, but more knowledgeable members might know the whole story. I am sorry WRV is are gone, because they made a great 5th wheel trailer. I cannot think of anyone now who makes one as good for the price. We have one of the Alpine APEX coaches and I like it especially the amount of fluid storage and the way it handles. Like anything nowadays we have issues we have to deal with.

For now Fleetwood is one hair breath away from declaring bankruptcy based on what I am reading. And like the Big 3 car makers, I am not surprised because their quality was for years just crap. I cannot speak for the present line of trailers/motorhomes/campers currently, however, for me, it was so bad, and their dealer network would never fix anything, or stall you off, so I would never own Fleetwood anything for ever.

I believe we are seeing the bad companies and sorry to say a few good ones die off, and as the saying goes, only the strong survive.

But I was reading today in another forum, it's the banks killing the auto/RV industry because even people with great credit ratings cannot get loans even when they put down lots of cash. All those billions and the banks won't loan the money, because the greedy CEO/CFO's are still getting their million in salary and bonuses.

Greed is/will kill this economy and until it's gone, we all will suffer the consequences.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Fleetwood came to yakima to do their "due diligence" and after a few days the local paper published an article that the deal was off. I spoke to Ron about it and was told that Fleetwood wanted to pick apart the product line and move parts here and there, which didn't settle well with him. I believe this was before there were an excessive number of complaints and that Ron was genuine in his explanation; however, customer complaints may have been the killer on the second go around with (forgot name). The latter had their management at the rally in Aguanga and they dissapeared shortly after that.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Perhaps not unexpected (a buyer backed out after Aguanga). We are a vociferous bunch. But underlying it all is our commitment to a great coach. We may sound like there are lots of problems, but the truth is they are less than other coaches or tolerable considering the benefits (Jimbo not included, LOL). Otherwise, we'd all sell.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #20

Take the time to leaf through the Tiffin forum until you find Beverly & Buddy Biggs with their new Tiffin. Your thoughts may have some other ideas.They were die hard Alpine owners
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
You're right, I had forgotten Beverly and Buddy. They had nothing but problems with their coach!!!!

I recall several major problems and lots of little ones (including just not understanding the issue). It's nice to see they are finally happy.

Before I bought an Alpine and especially since the closure of WRV, I've had my eye on Tiffin's lineup. They are definitely what I'd buy if I had to have a new off the line coach. They have always been quite nice. Unfortunately they don't have a floorplan I like better than my FDTS. It's nice to hear they think the ride is even better than their Alpine. Maybe the new Powerglide chassis will help keep Tiffin afloat.

Happily, I'm still sure I made the right choice with my Alpine. And the Allegro Bus is my second choice.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #22

takepride,

I agree with you. I think Tiffin has some nice coaches, especially with the Powerglide chassis, but we don't like their floorplans. It's the same reason we didn't buy a Country Coach when we bought our Alpine. We don't like the galleys. Who likes a galley where the sink faces to the back instead of the TV? Maybe it's because I'm the chef in our family but I like to watch a little TV news or talk to friends in the coach when I'm working in the kitchen, and the sink area gets a lot of use. To have one's back to the friends or the TV while cooking dinner doesn't cut it for me. Also, the galley just isn't as big or has as much counter space, or holds as much stuff as our Alpine.

It's just one of my pet peeves on others' floor plans, but along with having a good mid-door, which we really like, and large water/waste tanks, along with the driveability, is enough to keep us from wanting somebody else's coach.

Everybody has their things they like in a coach, but those are ours, and few others do these things in their coaches.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #23

You know what is said about hindsight being 20/20. From what I've read, I believe Alpine quality was better until the 2005 models, also. (I read the same thing recently on the Country Coach forum about CC's). Perhaps we should have been brave enough to purchase a used Alpine; then we would, in all liklihood, still be Alpine owners. We are not the type who want to trade every few years. We just do not feel Alpine quality matched the price. If any RV manu. survives this economic crisis, it will be the ones who offered better value for the money.

I, too, like Old Forester, like Alpine kitchens. I thought it was going to be the "one" thing I would have to give up--a kitchen that I really liked, but I was in for a pleasant surprise. When I really sat down to figure out where to put my crock pot, pressure cooker, deep fryer, iron skillet for cornbread, cake pans, cookie sheets, casserole dishes, food saver, etc. etc.; for the first time in any motor home, I was able to put everything in the "kitchen." Our arrangement with the TV/hutch allows lots of storage, both above the TV and below. I got the deep computer/dining option and have more drawers and storage there. I still have my laptop in it and use the file drawer for exactly that. I also keep my Tiffin bag for the manuals in one of the shelves. The others I use for kitchen items. For the first time in any motorhome, ALL my "kitchen" items fit in the kitchen.

As to counter space, at first I thought that pull out cabinet with drawers was too small in the 36'. In fact, I wondered why they would put the dinky thing in there. Again, when I started cooking, I realized it, though narrow, is big enough to be useful; so I use it regularly for extra counter space. Now I am very happy with my kitchen.

The TV is in the kitchen, so no problem there. We really like this center location for the TV. We did not get the overhead front option; therefore we have a nice view out the windshield (and don't have to worry about bumping our heads on the TV as we did preiously. Of course, to interact with others in the living rm. of the coach, when at the sink, one turns to the left and not to the right (I know some Alpine models do have the sink facing the rear wall).

The holding tanks are bigger on the Alpine. However, we could not ever stay in a place over a week without dumping ours. The smell was too bad, even putting in deod. daily. WRV had vented it wrong. We had it worked on in Yakima. They changed the vent and added something on top of the vent with the circulating fan (wind driven). Well, that made the whole thing worse. So, we might as well have had smaller tanks.

I can say for sure we would have just rather had the Alpine been our final motor home, but it was not a matter of just getting bugs out. We came to that realization. With the frame at the top of the windshield cracking after we'd already traded, something getting wrong with the steering on the way to Fl (among other things-- a whole bunch of insullation was hanging down underneath when we made our last stop in it)--we knew we needed out. We hadn't yet had the radiator problem, leaks, etc.

WRV did not fold because of high fuel prices (we were having the Bus built when that happened) or the economy collapsing. WRV went out of business because they weren't delivering the quality they should have for the price of their coaches. Somewhere along the line, they started taking too many shortcuts. I realize electronics probably fail more often because of
"bouncing" down the road, but I don't buy that theory for the multitude of problems. We pay many times the square foot for a motor home than for our houses, and it should be built accordingly. I can't believe most people would consider a motor home if they were no more dependable than ours was. Some people do seem to enjoy working/tinkering on them as a hobby, but we don't.

We took a financial beating to trade, but feel fortunate (if one wants to look at it this way) that we got out the week WRV closed instead of the week after. We lost the three year depreciation that anyone loses when they trade often. No way did we intend to do this. Now, with all the current situation, would the Tiffin be any easier to sell? I don't know. Maybe not. Probably not. Hopefully, we'll be able to enjoy it a few years and get some intangible rewards for our expenditure. We could have always lost the money somewhere else. Even with the Alpine, by taking it back for repairs to WA, we had a wonderful, wonderful five month trip to the Northwest a trip we may never have taken; so there's good in every situation. For most of you, you wouldn't trade for anything else if you could. For the few who would like to trade, I sincerely hope you are able to get what you would like and at a reasonable price.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 01-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
B&B:

Very well put.