Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hello all, Well let's see if we can figure this out.

WRV sold to Monomoy around December 07; they assumed a large amount of debt from very poor WRV operations. Bob Doyle wanted to play golf more than he wanted to run a company. He destroyed his father's dream, or ran it into the ground you pick which.

Anyway, this debt was most likely huge, not counting the many dealers who had large inventories of WRV units, sales persons were not getting commissions, service departments were not getting their reimbursements for warranty work, there were bad feelings all around, on top of the fact, parts suppliers had not been paid either. Monomoy had just about gotten things cleared up, when the bank stepped in and shut them down, due to not paying the rent on the buildings (which Ron Doyle still owns) used to manufacture the products. This is if I have the story correct.

I know for a fact several vendors were stuck with huge unpaid bills from WRV/Monomoy when they were shut down. PTL is one such vendor, I cannot speak for others, but my guess is every one of them took some kind of a hit for unpaid inventory. The auction as far as I know paid no one any money except the bank and Ron Doyle. The vendors were left holding all that debt. Bankruptcy was not done, so my guess is, a lien of property could be tried, or suit could be filed, but in today's economy the chance of recovery would be slim to none with a lot of money wasted on lawyers.

However that does not explain why vendors whom WRV used are not stepping up to the plate and helping us out when their products go bad. Don't get me wrong, many of the various vendors who manufactured parts which WRV purchased are standing behind those products. I know from personal experience, Silverleaf, HWH and Hydro Hot are standing behind their products, as I have been in touch with all three. Many of you have other personal experiences of companies who are doing what it takes to help us. But, I also know many of them, because of those losses cannot stand behind those products from a company who no longer is in business and left them holding the bag so to speak. Dell for instance won't stand behind the TV in our coach, because the warranty starts from when WRV purchased it, and that was back in 06, so we have a new coach with a TV/LCD with no warranty never going to purchase a dell product again sorry dell you lose.

My suggestion is, and you won't like it, purchase the part you need yourself, get it fixed or fix it yourself, and then post the name of the company that won't stand behind the part which you replaced. Put this in every RV forum, write Good Sam Action Line, describing the issue and the word will get around who the companies are who won't help the owners.

Also list the companies who DO STAND BEHIND their products and make sure the good news gets out, so these companies get our business and we help them stay afloat, because now we all need each other.

Yes, you will incur costs, however, the time and expense spent in trying to get a company to stand behind a part, which they have not been paid for is going to be long and hard to accomplish, and second, in this economy, warranty work is going to cost them, and their bottom line might be so slim, they cannot afford to do it.

It's also your choice to continue to complain, and because we are in the same boat, will listen and try to help you out. And before you ask, no I don't want to spend my hard earned money on some part which should be under a warranty, but I also want to use my MH, and use it when I want to, not wait around because some part is busted, and the manufacturer won't stand behind it, and I lose my joy of using the coach. My time on this planet is limited, and death is permanent, I want to enjoy those days I have left, so I choose to purchase the door part from PTL (shipped it for free) which I needed, and I will install the part, because I want it to work. I don't want to spin my wheels for days on end trying to get someone to do something they don't want to do, and possibly cannot afford to do anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but things are tough all over, and sometimes it just better to move on.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello all, Well let's see if we can figure this out.

WRV sold to Monomoy around December 07; they assumed a large amount of debt from very poor WRV operations. Bob Doyle wanted to play golf more than he wanted to run a company. He destroyed his father's dream, or ran it into the ground you pick which.

Anyway, this debt was most likely huge, not counting the many dealers who had large inventories of WRV units, sales persons were not getting commissions, service departments were not getting their reimbursements for warranty work, there were bad feelings all around, on top of the fact, parts suppliers had not been paid either. Monomoy had just about gotten things cleared up, when the bank stepped in and shut them down, due to not paying the rent on the buildings (which Ron Doyle still owns) used to manufacture the products. This is if I have the story correct.

I know for a fact several vendors were stuck with huge unpaid bills from WRV/Monomoy when they were shut down. PTL is one such vendor, I cannot speak for others, but my guess is every one of them took some kind of a hit for unpaid inventory. The auction as far as I know paid no one any money except the bank and Ron Doyle. The vendors were left holding all that debt. Bankruptcy was not done, so my guess is, a lien of property could be tried, or suit could be filed, but in today's economy the chance of recovery would be slim to none with a lot of money wasted on lawyers.

However that does not explain why vendors whom WRV used are not stepping up to the plate and helping us out when their products go bad. Don't get me wrong, many of the various vendors who manufactured parts which WRV purchased are standing behind those products. I know from personal experience, Silverleaf, HWH and Hydro Hot are standing behind their products, as I have been in touch with all three. Many of you have other personal experiences of companies who are doing what it takes to help us. But, I also know many of them, because of those losses cannot stand behind those products from a company who no longer is in business and left them holding the bag so to speak. Dell for instance won't stand behind the TV in our coach, because the warranty starts from when WRV purchased it, and that was back in 06, so we have a new coach with a TV/LCD with no warranty never going to purchase a dell product again sorry dell you lose.

My suggestion is, and you won't like it, purchase the part you need yourself, get it fixed or fix it yourself, and then post the name of the company that won't stand behind the part which you replaced. Put this in every RV forum, write Good Sam Action Line, describing the issue and the word will get around who the companies are who won't help the owners.

Also list the companies who DO STAND BEHIND their products and make sure the good news gets out, so these companies get our business and we help them stay afloat, because now we all need each other.

Yes, you will incur costs, however, the time and expense spent in trying to get a company to stand behind a part, which they have not been paid for is going to be long and hard to accomplish, and second, in this economy, warranty work is going to cost them, and their bottom line might be so slim, they cannot afford to do it.

It's also your choice to continue to complain, and because we are in the same boat, will listen and try to help you out. And before you ask, no I don't want to spend my hard earned money on some part which should be under a warranty, but I also want to use my MH, and use it when I want to, not wait around because some part is busted, and the manufacturer won't stand behind it, and I lose my joy of using the coach. My time on this planet is limited, and death is permanent, I want to enjoy those days I have left, so I choose to purchase the door part from PTL (shipped it for free) which I needed, and I will install the part, because I want it to work. I don't want to spin my wheels for days on end trying to get someone to do something they don't want to do, and possibly cannot afford to do anyway.

Sorry for the rant, but things are tough all over, and sometimes it just better to move on.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 AM   #3

Monty, I believe there was a good sized yacht and private plane when golf was not being played
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Ted, thank you for at least confirming what I have been told in other places while traveling in the coach about our friend and mentor Ron Doyle. As I understand it, his father was a top notch person, and I am sure he is disappointed in WRV's loss, because I know I am. Other Alpine owners have different stories.

I also want to reinforce that the following companies have gone the extra mile and helped me with replacement parts, technical advice and information about how to repair their products. Hydro Hot (Aqua-Hot), Silverleaf, HWH, Uhlmann RV, Cummings Northwest in Portland, OR, and Master Tech-Mobile RV Service, and Mobile RV Technical Services - Portland, OR are excellent places to do business and have assisted me, provided technical information, and or helped me to understand the technical aspects of their products and how to diagnose and repair those systems. PTL Industries could not provide the door latch under warranty because WRV stiffed them for thousands of dollars, however, they were extra kind in helping me to diagnose the issue with the door, and shipping the part to me free. I also believe they sold me the part at cost, which in this market is something. I recommend them as well, if you have technical issues with doors and locks.

I cannot comment on other items in the MH that have caused issues, because I believe those were caused by very, very poor quality control and poor installation on WRV's part. But since I am a fix-it junkie, I have taken care of those issues as they arise.

Additionally, this forum, and the participants herein have gone overboard in helping us, new MH owners, in understanding how it all works, etc. So you should also pat yourselves on the back, and one day when we all meet, we can swap stories, and show off our technical expertise, over your beverage of choice (coffee for me) .

Thank you all for your help over these past months, as I feel we have a large family here. Like I tell everyone I meet, I have never met RV'ers who are not kind and helpful, regardless of their station in life.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
My experience has been similar. My coach was at Saddleback RV in Colton CA when WRV folded. I bought it from McMahon in Irvine at the 2007 Pomona RV show. I took it to McMahon for warranty work and they kept it for a month or so before WRV asked me to move it to Saddleback. McMahons did only the work associated with the purchase. Saddleback told me WRV was gone and they were stuck with a $4000 bill. They never asked me for it. I was on my own for a dead rear view and two tires not on the Smartire. Then the SurgeGuard transfer switch went. After a couple of conversations with them they said send it to them and they would fix it if it was under one year, which it barely was. They were good for their word. Of course I had to R & R it which was a pain. Repairing the rear view and the Smartire stuff will run me almost a grand but is almost all labor. The Hyundai tv is bad but they have the worst procedures. No local repair, it has to be sent back east. They say they will fix it if under warranty but they don't understand what an rv is and I fear they will say the same thing about purchase date.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #6

Just to add another vendor that has continued to honor their warranty, Xantrex. Although I did the R&R on my RS2000, Xantrex didn't hesitate to replace it at no charge under the original WRV 3 year warranty.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Rick, depending on what size TV, and how much it will cause in time/labor/money, you might be better off, just purchasing a 32" Panasonic LCD TV. First my experience is they are one of the best TV sets, and they stand behind their stuff. My GF's Panasonic VCR just went bad, but it was almost 20 years old. If our dell goes out, Panasonic is the first on the list, as my R&R of the space would be minimul and it would be a better set than the dell is now. The dell has a great picture, but I am sure it was not designed to bounce down the road. I think the Panasonic is better built, but I am sure many here can steer you toward a great set. That is if the existing space will take that size TV. I would just get something that is the same size as the Hyundai is, and see if I could do the work myself. Hope this helps.