Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #1

When I set the auto Generator start (to maintain temp in MH for pet), the generator starts. The trigger message says "cntctclosed." Called tech support with no answer. Anyone know what is triggering my generator to start?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2006, 04:11 AM   #2

When I set the auto Generator start (to maintain temp in MH for pet), the generator starts. The trigger message says "cntctclosed." Called tech support with no answer. Anyone know what is triggering my generator to start?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

rgb1111,WELCOME to iRV2!!

I see from your profile you own a 2005 40'Alpine Limited....

That information might help someone answer your question with a more "rig specific" answer.

I am not sure what your message means,other than what appears to be "contact closed"...

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.

We're glad you joined the forum and look forward to hearing more of your experiences with your Alpine.

If you click on "go" and "view/edit profile",then scroll down to "signature" and type in your rig description, it will appear in every post,which seems to help other posters answer your questions without having to type your rig info every time.
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to IRV2!

You didn't give any details as to when this happens but I "think" I might understand what's happening.

Check out the following link:

Xantrex AGS Link

Is this the version of AGS you have? THis version interaces with the System Control Panel which also handles the RS series of inverter/chargers.

This is the AGS system that I have installed in mine. It will kick in the genset in response to a number of parameters, which are all set up by the user ahead of time. It can start when the battery voltage gets too low, it can be set to start when the inverter loads run high for too long of a period of time, and it can be sset to respond to a request for cooling from the air conditioning thermostat.

The problem with this unit is that it does not sense shore power presence. Therefore, whenever the thermostat calls for cooling the genset starts up, even when it's plugged into shore power. To rectify this, I installed a relay that was energized by the shore power side of the transfer switch. Then I routed the thermostat feed leads through the relay contacts so the thermostat won't communicate to the AGS module whenever shore power is present.

Maybe this is what you have?
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:51 AM   #5

Mark,
That is exactly my problem. If you could give me as much detail as possible on the relay and how it was installed, I would very much appriciate it.
Thanks again,
Bob
Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Bob,

The relay I used had a 120 VAC coil with DPDT contacts for the 12 volt side. I bought it from W W Grainger and it was a part nbr 5X838 relay and the mounting socket was # 5X853. I mounted it in my shore power basement compartment in a metal box close to the transfer switch. I then ran a pair of wires from the shore power side of the transfer switch to the coil terminals on the relay. There were two low voltage wires that ran from the thermostat to the AGS module. I intercepted one of them and installed the NC relay contacts (normally closed) into this wire. Now, when there is no shore power, the relay allows continuity from the thermostat to the AGS module but once shore power is applied, the relay breaks the circuit and prevents the thermostat from communicating with the AGS module.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #7

Wouldn't it be easier to turn the AGS mode off at the thermostat when plugged into shore power? Or am I missing something?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM   #8

Wayne,
Thanks for your post. The reason we need to install the relay is because if we leave the M.H. with shore power on a hot day and then lose power we need the generator to start to keep the coach cool for our small dog. Your idea did allow me to make sure that this was indeed my problem.
Thanks again,
Bob
ORA Hilton Head Island
Old 08-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #9

Mark,
Thank you very much. I found this site in desperation for an answer to my question and am amazed at the knowledge base.Neither of the factory techs at Alpine or Zantrex knew the cause of my problem.
I will install your fix.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 PM   #10

Mark,
Thanks so much. Neither techs @ Alpine nor Zantrex could solve my problem.
Your fix is exactly what I need and will be installed shortly.
Bob