Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #1

I have a 2005 34' Alpine that has a Xantrex Converter/Inverter installed in one of the storage bays. When the battery charger is enabled, the Xantrex makes a loud buzzing sound that can be heard inside the coach. When the battery charger is disabled, the noise is reduced considerably but doesn't completely go away. I contacted Xantrex and they said:

"The RS2000 has a large transformer in order to get the 2.5 times surge value. A side effect of the transformer is the transformer hum. The harder the inverter works, the louder the hum. The RS2000 is specified to not exceed 60dBA at 3 feet."

Whatever all that means??? Does everyone else have this same noise? It would keep a light sleeper awake.
Bill Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #2

I have a 2005 34' Alpine that has a Xantrex Converter/Inverter installed in one of the storage bays. When the battery charger is enabled, the Xantrex makes a loud buzzing sound that can be heard inside the coach. When the battery charger is disabled, the noise is reduced considerably but doesn't completely go away. I contacted Xantrex and they said:

"The RS2000 has a large transformer in order to get the 2.5 times surge value. A side effect of the transformer is the transformer hum. The harder the inverter works, the louder the hum. The RS2000 is specified to not exceed 60dBA at 3 feet."

Whatever all that means??? Does everyone else have this same noise? It would keep a light sleeper awake.
Bill Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
BZ,
Funny you bring this up now. Less than half an hour ago I sent an e-mail to support at Xantrex about the exact same issue on my 2006 34'. I have to disable the converter at night in order to sleep. Then I have to try to remember to enable it again in the morning and listen to the noise all day....at least when I'm plugged in to shore power. I'm getting ready for another extended trip and I don't like the idea of having to do this every night. I sure hope something can be done. I stick my head in other coaches (Alpines and others) and don't hear the noise I have. I'll let you know what I hear from Xantrex.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #4

Might try a detailed check on your battery banks (house & chassis) unplugged from coach. If there is a problem w/the batt's on either set it might take a heavy draw to charge.
I can hear the Xantrex hum when standing next to coach w/basement lid closed, but it's not an issue; can't hear it inside other than faintly and if any other noise is happening I don't notice the inverter at all.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #5

Well, I guess I'll extend the vintage experience with my 04 34'.

My inverter is mounted in the bedroom, aft of the bathroom. I turn off the charger at night, when all's quiet, due to the hum. It's not noticeable otherwise.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #6

We have the same 'hum' problem as stated in the above posts. The hum bothers me at night since it is installed in the bay below the bed. The inverter portion of the RS2000 has nothing to do with the problem. If charger is off, no hum. Charger on, loud hum. The warmer it is outside, worse the hum is. If I turn the charger off when we go to bed, then turn it on a few hours ater, the hum is less than what is was when I turned it off, but still there.

Last winter while parked I replaced the fan for the inverter portion with a quieter one and also wired it to an external source of 12 VDC to have it run always if I want it to. While inside the inverter, with the top off, the large heat sink was loose a bit. The fan I replaced sits in the middle of this heat sink. New fan running always does not fix problem.

I have another fan, supposedly quieter, for the fan on the charger. Plan is to change it next month. To do so, I need to pull the inverter. Since I installed it, I am supposed to know what I am doing!

Am looking for any other ideas, fixes, short of dumping this thing for another brand of inverter.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, the transformer is a device made by wrapping two or more wires around a single iron core.. The core is usually made of iron leaves, these leaves are initially varnished but as they age the varnish dries and allows them some movement.

As current flows through the wires the leaves will tend to "Vibrate" a bit.. This is what is causing the noise.

60 DB is roughly the same amount of sound as a Honda EU-2000i at full load.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Unfortuantly I have no info to add about the hum, but am curious if anyone knows if this is a problem with the newer freedom sw2000 or 3000?, I am adding a inverter/charger and have selected this model. I could change if needed.
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Some things to check, although the above info about the varnish, etc is good.

The Xantrex has two cooling fans, ensure they are both working. As I understand it, one runs all the time, the second comes into play if the unit is getting hotter than normal, and is trying to cool down.

Have your house batteries load tested by a reputable place to make sure you dont have a dead/shorted cell, if you do, the charger (thing making the noise) is going to try to charge that battery all the time, and will cause excessive hum while trying to do it. As an aside, iti will also cause the other batteries to boil and lose fluid, so check you lead acid batteries at least twice a monty to be safe.

Our motorhomes are "an earthquake going down the road", and as such, the bouncing will cause things to shift some, so make sure all the connections to the inverter/charger unit are still good and tight. A lose connection might also cause this problem.

FWIW - Our is an 07, it's now 11, so it's 4 (actually 5 because they built it in Dec of 06) but we don't have the hum some of you mention. I hear the unit since it sits almost directly under the vanity sink (although there is a floor between it and the grill on the side of the cabinet) I still hear the fan-I don't hear any hum).

If after checking, the batteries are good, the connections are good and tight, then the inverter/charger might be close to failure. I would recommend if that is the case you choose a Magnum unit. Do a search on this forum for the correct model you need to replace it with, as there are some interface changes needed possibly. If I was faced with a change, I would not go back to a Xantrex, their quality has slipped some after the last consolidation in the industry, and they don't make a compatable unit to the RS2000, so you will have some changes regardless, so you might as well step up in quality, since you are makiing a change. This is just my TCW, ok well maybe a nickle.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #10

I too have that loud humming noise, I am pretty new to the RV world and I didn't even think to check the batteries for water!! Well I ASSUMED, you know the rest. My system was going nuts, so bright me wondered if the loud noise had anything to do with charging them up. Man I never ran so fast to get some distilled water!! I am just PRAYING the are not fried!

I think the humming is starting to go down some. There is some activity going on in cells now too. Wait and see.

I don't hear the hum too awful bad inside but boy step outside near whatever makes the noise and it's loud.

A big rookie mistake that I will not make again.
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is it possible that it's a vibration that's being changed into an audible hum by the way the inverter is mounted?
We have a Xantrex Freedom 458 that's absolutely silent even under heavy load.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Is it possible that it's a vibration that's being changed into an audible hum by the way the inverter is mounted?
We have a Xantrex Freedom 458 that's absolutely silent even under heavy load.
The newer ones are rated for a larger power surge than our 458's. That is why they are louder.
You are right. The Freedom 458 is very quiet.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
In addition to checking your batteries for water and condition, you might try "refreshing" your batteries. When I first purchased my '03 36 MDDS I had a pretty constant hum from my Xantrex charger until I refreshed the batteries per the manual instructions. Now, I only get a bad hum after prolonged use of the batteries without shore power and it only lasts for a few minutes. Otherwise, it is nice and quiet.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eracefn45 View Post
Unfortuantly I have no info to add about the hum, but am curious if anyone knows if this is a problem with the newer freedom sw2000 or 3000?, I am adding a inverter/charger and have selected this model. I could change if needed.
The RS2000 is not compatible with the SW2000 due to the fact that the System Control Panel and other existing Xantrex modules will not connect to it. The SW3000 however, will work as a direct replacement for the RS2000.

I learned this the hard way two months ago. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/xantrex-rs2000-throwing-f8-fault-code-103395.html
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote