Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 07:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
The LED’s illuminated will depend upon a lot of factors, the most influential is the ignition switch. Other things like turn signal lights etc will illuminate leds.

IIRC the #19 led is illuminated when the house batteries are fully charged and the charge current is moved to the chassis batteries. I am sure someone else on the forum will speak up if I am not correct.
Right or wrong, I have the same understanding as you regarding the #19 output led.

Looking at it differently, if the VMM

power light is on with the NET light on or flickering and the #19 output led off, that would indicate that the house batteries are being charged. Once the house batteries are charged a signal is sent to close the solenoid which connects the house and chassis batteries. This is when #19 is lit.

Moral of the story, If #19 is off it isn’t necessarily cause for concern.

Still curious about the solar.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
The LED’s illuminated will depend upon a lot of factors, the most influential is the ignition switch. Other things like turn signal lights etc will illuminate leds.

IIRC the #19 led is illuminated when the house batteries are fully charged and the charge current is moved to the chassis batteries. I am sure someone else on the forum will speak up if I am not correct.

Thanks. Makes sense. I’m reading about the system in the forum. I tried resetting the Vansco by turning off the disconnect four times. I then turned on the generator and let it run for about five+ minutes. Turned it off and went to feed the livestock. When I returned #19 was lit. I checked the batteries with a volt meter. The house batteries registered 13.6 and start batteries were 12.86 and climbing. J checked an hour later and 19 was out. I think it is working correctly but will have to wait for tomorrow
I have two 130 watt solar panels on the roof. The meter normally registers 13.8 charging watts to the house batteries. Which are 8 six volt Trojans. The starter batteries are two 12 volt Duracell commercial.
I want to thank everyone for their input. Alpine owners are a unique fellowship.
By no means am I finished with my problem, but with your help I’m sure we can figure it out.
happycamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #17

Typically solar panels charge the house batteries directly through a separate charge controller. Depending on the charge rate from the 260W array, maybe 10A, it could take hours if not days to fully charge the house batteries depending on their state of charge and loads being placed on them.

You must have close to 900Ah of capacity, 450Ah usable, so it would take 45 hours at a 10A charge rate to full charge the batteries from a 50% SOC, provided there are no loads present. Even on a sunny summer day you shouldn’t expect more than 60-80A of charge from the panels.

Since you have power available, I’d recommend that you plug it in for a day, once a month and turn on the charger, even on the 15A power share setting to fully charge the batteries. Also, run the generator for an hour or two once a month with the charger on and run the A/C’s and heat pumps. You could do the generator one month and the electric hook up the next.

It’s beneficial to keep things working and it could identify a problem before the season starts. It is also advantageous to keep the batteries properly charged. I’d say your charging system appears to be functioning properly, like anything, keep an eye on it.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #18

There is a lot if info on this topic if you are able to search. Just a couple little things I remember when I worked through this problem:

#19 (output) needs to be on to charge you chassis batteries. Assuming you are plugged in or generator is on.

There is some Vansco logic that turns 19 on and off and this does not happen quickly. Sometimes it takes minutes even when everything is working correctly.

If 19 is on and the trombetta is working both battery banks should be at the same voltage ( it is just like putting jumper cables on a car IE dead battery voltage rises and charged battery voltage lowers until they meet and that happens quickly usually within a couple seconds.)

Just because you have continuity through the trombetta, does not mean that it will carry current to charge the other battery bank. (this was my problem and the reason I had do dive so deeply into the problem to fix it)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:26 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper1 View Post
[ATTACH]242887[/ATTACH

This is where my Trobetta is located at the back of my battery bay. The only switch key is a disconnect switch. If I turn it off I lose all power to the Vansco until I turn it back on, reboot the system and LED still remains unlit Attachment 242888
Ok, sorry, I thought you had a Blue Sea disconnect like mine where there is a house disconnect, a chassis disconnect and between them is a "keyed" switch that performs the same function as the boost switch at the helm. It forces the trombetta to close and tie both house and chassis batteries together. I guess you could try that and see what happens if you like. I also assumed you were on shore power but it sounds like you're not.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkereng View Post

Just because you have continuity through the trombetta, does not mean that it will carry current to charge the other battery bank. (this was my problem and the reason I had do dive so deeply into the problem to fix it)

This was my problem also, voltage was passing, but no current.
Test with a test light not a volt meter and not a LED test light.
Replaced the Trombetta solenoid, problem solved.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
This was my problem also, voltage was passing, but no current.
Test with a test light not a volt meter and not a LED test light.
Replaced the Trombetta solenoid, problem solved.

Plugged the Motorhome into shore power. xantrex started charging the house batteries. After about 10/15 minutes #19 lit up With a volt meter the house batteries were charging and read 14.83 but not the motor batteries. I kept checking for next five hours, the motor batteries never received a charge, staying at 12.46 volts. Going to change the Trombetta. I’ll report the results later.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Plugged the Motorhome into shore power. xantrex started charging the house batteries. After about 10/15 minutes #19 lit up With a volt meter the house batteries were charging and read 14.83 but not the motor batteries. I kept checking for next five hours, the motor batteries never received a charge, staying at 12.46 volts. Going to change the Trombetta. I’ll report the results later.

Well, I changed out the Tombetta solenoid, no easy task but doable
Put it all back together while cleaning it up.
Checked the batteries before plugging it into shore power. The house bank read 13.09 and motor batteries read 12.54.
Plugged it in and waited a couple of minutes and heard an audible click from the solenoid and checked.
House read 15.00 and motors read 14.99

It’s all fixed. Very thankful to you all for your help, without which I would have floundered. Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #23

Sorry, but 15 VDC is WAY TOO HIGH, even for bulk mode.

Assuming you have a smart inverter/charger, have you properly programmed it?

If optional battery temperature sensor, make sure it is working-- if it is telling the inverter/charger it is minus 30 degrees F, 15 may be OK!
Old 04-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #24

Awesome, glad it's figured out.
Mine sat for several years prior to my purchase and the Trombetta was just one of things I had to figure out after trip.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Sorry, but 15 VDC is WAY TOO HIGH, even for bulk mode.

Assuming you have a smart inverter/charger, have you properly programmed it?

If optional battery temperature sensor, make sure it is working-- if it is telling the inverter/charger it is minus 30 degrees F, 15 may be OK!

I have a Xantrex RS2000 programmable charger. My problem is that the back light for the System Control Panel is out. I’ve sent Xantrex an email asking if the Control Panel can be fixed. Until I either get it fixed or get a new one I won’t use the charger. Thanks for the heads up Just when I thought I was done. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1747.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	243207
Old 04-22-2019, 08:35 PM   #26

Quote:
I have a Xantrex RS2000 programmable charger. My problem is that the back light for the System Control Panel is out. I’ve sent Xantrex an email asking if the Control Panel can be fixed. Until I either get it fixed or get a new one I won’t use the charger. Thanks for the heads up Just when I thought I was done. Attachment 243207

I know it shows a fault. I can’t read it to correct it.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Sorry for such a dumb question - but if I understand these answers correctly, BOTH battery switches need to be ON for the house and chassis batteries to charge via the Xantrex charger. IE: #19 is lit. I was hoping to find a way around the parasitic drains while plugged in for long periods of storage. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #28

...for most models of Alpine, turning off the battery switch[es] doesn't affect/eliminate the aforementioned parasitic drains, eg, one of the worst is the climate control fan on the Xantrex inverter that runs 24/7--which can be shut off if you put the inverter in "sleep" mode.....but there are still others....
Ps--if you are plugged in while in storage, parasitic drains are kind of a non-issue????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, xantrex