Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #1

Xantrex error codes follow up

Here is what I originally posted:
My xantrex control panel is showing two error codes. Node 254 F251 and Node 0 F23. My coach did not come with the manual and I once stumbled on a way to reset or eliminate the error codes and the resulting red light on the panel. Can't figure it out now. The problem started this morning. I am dry camping and I turned off the generator. I then turned on my Keurig coffee maker. A bit later, I noticed that the fridge wasn't running and the coffee machine was off. So, no inverter. That's when I saw the error codes. I scrolled through the settings on the panel and re-enabled the inverter but have not turned the gen. off to test it. Any ideas? Is there a source for a manual on my Xantrx panel? I don't know the model of it, but my coach is an '05, built in late 04 if that helps.

After talking to Xantrex, it was determined that perhaps I had overloaded the inverter. What wound up taking care of the whole problem was going to the inverter and pushing the reset button. Not just a quick push, it must be held down to the count of at least 5. The lights on the front of the inverter went off, and in about 15 seconds, the unit came back to life, the error codes on the board in the coach were gone and everything seems to be working normally now. Turned out that the coffee maker takes 1500 watts and maybe the Amana residential fridge decided to kick in and it was too much at one time. I will not try to use that Keurig on inverter power again. Thanks for everyone's input. BTW, in talking with Xantrex, if I had needed a new inverter, they would have given me 30% off because I am an existing "customer" as all of you with the Xantrex would be.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklemeist View Post
BTW, in talking with Xantrex, if I had needed a new inverter, they would have given me 30% off because I am an existing "customer" as all of you with the Xantrex would be.
Was that 30% off list price? In a quick lookup for a Prosine 2 unit, I noticed a vendor selling what they claimed listed for $1895 for $1395 which is pretty close to 30% off. I guess buying direct makes that a good discount for being an existing customer but not much different than buying one off the street if it's based on list price.

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:25 AM   #3

He told me that was off of list. I had not priced Xantrex 2000 watt inverters but will do so for future reference. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #4

We lost our Xantrex inverter about 2 years ago and replaced it with a Magnum 2800. We have been very happy with the Magnum and I have not heard of anyone with issues who owns a Magnum inverter.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

I also replaced my Xantrex modified sine wave inverter with a Magnum MS2012 pure sine wave inverter. But I only did it a week ago, so no meaningful experience with it yet. But it seems much quieter. Glad I made the change. I had a few items that didn't work with the modified sine wave inverter, and now they work.

I don't have the residential fridge, so I didn't need the 2800 watt unit that Rusty Bear used.

For what its worth, I paid around $1500 for it on Amazon, with free shipping. Plus another $200 or so for the ME-ARC advanced remote control. So I wouldn't buy another Xantrex just because they offer you a 30% price break. You can do just as good with a different brand if you are so inclined. Installation was pretty easy. It is about a half inch wider, so I needed to move the 2x2 blocks that the inverter was sitting on. (Mine is inside the coach.) Electrical connections are pretty straight forward, if you feel comfortable working with high amp 12 volt circuits and 120 volt AC connections. I did mine with the 12 volt line hot. No "arc welding" performed.

Programming using the remote is pretty easy. You can customize the settings for just about everything. But the default is pretty much all you need, except for selecting the type of batteries to control the charge voltages, and the amp-hour rating of the battery bank to control the charge times.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #6

Not being electronics savvy, if the Xantrex inverter is replaced with another brand, is the existing wiring between the inverter and the control board in the coach useable with the new control board or???
Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinklemeist View Post
Not being electronics savvy, if the Xantrex inverter is replaced with another brand, is the existing wiring between the inverter and the control board in the coach useable with the new control board or???
I had the Magnum 2812 installed with a new remote control that replaced my Xantrex 458 Freedom inverter when I had the Samsung 197 RR installed and the phone cable was useable The Xantrex uses 6 wires and the Magnum uses 4 wires so all they did is drop 2 wires and install new ends, works great
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

When I exchanged my Freedom 458 inverter for a Magnum MS2012, I just had to plug the existing RJ11 cable to the new Magnum inverter and the new remote. I didn't need to change the ends. The Xantrex uses a 6 wire RJ11 cable, whereas the Magnum just needs a 4 wire RJ11 cable, but the 6 conductor RJ11 plugs into the 4 conductor Magnum jacks, but only uses the 2-3-4-5 wires, not 1 and 6. The new remote works fine.

I was told by a friend who installed a new Xantrex SW2012 that newer models of Xantrex inverters and remotes require CAT5 wiring, which is 8 wires. I assume it uses RJ45 plugs. He had to run a new CAT5 cable. You can add new ends to a CAT5 cable to convert to RJ11 plugs if you only need 4 or 6 wires. But it doesn't work the other way around. No way to convert a RJ11 cable (4 or 6 conductors) to a RJ45 (8 conductors).

Obviously a 4 conductor RJ11 cable can't be converted to a 6 conductor RJ11 cable with new ends either. A 6 conductor RJ11 can be converted to a 4 conductor RJ11 with new ends, but it doesn't need to be changed. The other two wires don't matter.

You can buy a Network Cable Tester for about $6 on Amazon if you splice new plugs on the existing cables. It will tell you if you wired it correctly.

Clear as mud??
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #9

that's interesting...My O5 had the same problem with the inverter...but in my case, my air conditioner was running while sitting in my storage yard. I turned it off, then drove it over to my house to load up for a trip. I also noticed the refrigerator was not on and I had a code showing an overload. Tried to reset the inverter to no avail. Called Xantrax and was told to turn off all power and let the capacitors drain down until the system rebooted. They told me the reset button doesn't work for this. Why, I don't know. But right now, I'm waiting for my system to power down...it's been about 20 hours. When it finally powers down and I reboot, I'll tell you what the outcome is.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Thanks for all the wiring info. It might just come in handy.
mike
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #11

ok..my unit powered down and still had a fault...removed the red wire from the inverter to the batteries and still nothing...so...it's time to replace....but no more Xantrax and their special pricing...cheaper to just buy a Magnum than their special 30% deal.

Tags
xantrex