Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #1

Light show on panel
I left the power to the coach on for 4 weeks by accident . There was still power, but vary low. I started the generator and the Xantrex (freedom remote) panel started a light show. The lights for the power, inverter, voltage etc. are bouncing around in a loop. It looks cool, but, I don't think it's a good thing. I shut everything off after running the generator for a half hour or so and will go back to the yard and power everything up to see if it has cooled off and corrected itself.
Any one see this before?

Thanks,
Dan

Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #2

Light show on panel
I left the power to the coach on for 4 weeks by accident . There was still power, but vary low. I started the generator and the Xantrex (freedom remote) panel started a light show. The lights for the power, inverter, voltage etc. are bouncing around in a loop. It looks cool, but, I don't think it's a good thing. I shut everything off after running the generator for a half hour or so and will go back to the yard and power everything up to see if it has cooled off and corrected itself.
Any one see this before?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Dan and Patty,

Yes, I saw the same thing a couple of weeks ago. The Xantrex manual kind of says that if "anything else" goes wrong (things they don't specifically discuss going wrong), then to disconnect the "phone cord" that connects the remote readout to the inverter. So, I popped out the panel in the bedroom to gain access to the inverter and pulled out that cord for 30 seconds and everything is back to normal.

I hope yours is as easy!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #4

Thank's Mike, I'll give that a try. Looks like we have the same year and model. I am not at the MH but where is the panel you removed? Is the inverter right behind the breaker panel, at floor level across from the shower?

Dan
Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Dan,

The inverter in our rig is forward of the foot of the bed on the passenger side. It's directly below the TV set in the bedroom. There is a wooden louvered panel that just pops off and the inverter is immediately visible.

You may have two "telephone" cords (flat cable with the clear boxy-looking end with the little lever you push to remove the cord from the phone, etc.) One would go down to the battery compartment to measure the temperature of the batteries (works in conjunction with the battery charger built into the Xantrex) and the other goes to the remote panel above our dining table.

This will probably be the easiest fix you ever do on the Alpine!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #6

Another wrinkle to the light show was performing every time we would initiate the turn on of the gas fired water heater. My brother, Dennis and I tried to isolate that circuit by using a motor cycle battery. This did not stop the initiation of the light show. So we figured it must be RFI. The board was checked and found good. As a last resort Dennis checked the spark gap on the igniter and found a gap of 10 or 15 thousands. He spread this out to .250" AND LOW AND BEHOLD the light show stopped. Wonder of wonders!!!

I had looked at the igniter and a continuous (SP) spark was evident causing RF to be generated. Now with the wider gap a single spark fires the gas and no light show. We think that is as it should be?? Dennis also placed several loops in the high tension line. Mike E.

Dennis by the way is the local guru on British motor cycles with some 50 bikes in different states of dis-repair. This is his avocation.

Presently located in Selah, Wa. Down from Fairbanks, Alaska.
Alpine 38' 2003.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike & Mike:
Hi Dan,

The inverter in our rig is forward of the foot of the bed on the passenger side. It's directly below the TV set in the bedroom. There is a wooden louvered panel that just pops off and the inverter is immediately visible.

You may have two "telephone" cords (flat cable with the clear boxy-looking end with the little lever you push to remove the cord from the phone, etc.) One would go down to the battery compartment to measure the temperature of the batteries (works in conjunction with the battery charger built into the Xantrex) and the other goes to the remote panel above our dining table.

This will probably be the easiest fix you ever do on the Alpine! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You were right! Pulled the vent off the wall, unpluged the "phone" cords (2), pluged them back in and no more light show~

Thanks Mike

Now were going to Disneyland for Christmas !
Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #8

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike & Mike:

"The inverter in our rig is forward of the foot of the bed on the passenger side. It's directly below the TV set in the bedroom. There is a wooden louvered panel that just pops off and the inverter is immediately visible."

It was in this area on our 2003 that we had a fourth drawer installed and I extended the depth of the existing three drawers by about 6-8"..You can still gain access to the inverter by lifting and pulling out the new drawer. There was still plenty of previously wasted air space for the inverter cooling.

I also extended all the kitchen drawers by about 10-12".

Harold

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote