Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Xantrex not charging (solved)

The charger on the inverter was not charging the batteries when we were using shore power, but it did charge them when we were using the generator. On shore power, with the charger supposedly enabled, the charger light did not come on on the inverter. We had power to the SurgeGuard and we had power to the only outlet in the motorhome that is not run through the inverter that is, the one next to the passenger seat. The SurgeGuard monitor showed power to both legs, but amperage to one was 14 A and to the other was 0 A. We pushed the reset button on the inverter, but that didn't correct the problem. I came to irv2 and found a lot of posts concerning this very problem, with a lot of suggestions on how to solve it. I made a list of all the things to check and I was ready to dive in when Lori remembered that the 50 to 30 amp cord adaptor had a burn mark next to one of the prongs. We went out and bought a new adaptor, hooked it up, and everything works fine. I can't explain why the faulty adaptor made the symptoms appear as they did, but I sure am happy I got off easy this time. Once again, it's often the easiest solution the solves the problem. Put this on the list of things to look for if this problem occurs.

John and Lori
2005 Alpine Coach 40FDQS
JohnLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Note that some 30 to 50 amp adapters (generally the black ones) do not connect the two legs so one is dead. The yellow ones generally do.
Rick J Fisher, BW is Judy
2007 Alpine 34FDDS Limited SE
2003 Jeep Rubicon or a 1995 Toyota Tacoma
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said one of the prongs.. I assume this is on the 30 amp plug.

However if it was on the 50 amp outlet then I assume one leg was not getting through to the RV and that is the leg the Xantrex was on.

IF it was the 30 amp plug then there are two possible answers.

One: the dogbone may have had two wires attached to the prong if it was the HOT. and one burned off due to faulty assembly.

MORE LIKELY the burned plug caused a loss of voltage.. Xantrex inverter/converters (At least some of them) monitor voltage and if it's too low (or high) they switch to INVERTER mode to protect things they power from bad voltage. They also monitor frequency and may monitor waveform, fi the plug is areching, these too will be "out of spec" and the Xantrex may find the shore power.. shall we say unpalatable and refuse to eat, or pass it.

This is called. VERY GOOD DESIGN.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

I didn't know that. Fortunately the one I got from CW years ago (a black one, BTW) does connect them.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Xantrex not charging (solved)

Invest in good adapters, either 15 or 30 amp,there is too much riding on them (like your whole coach) to cheap out!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
To follow up on Dave's sage advice, if you ever see signs of overheating in an adapter-- melting, discolored metal that can not be polished out, etc, REPLACE THEM.

Adapters are much more prone to failure than is the 50 amp plug.

2003 38 FDDS

wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote

charging, xantrex