Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

XANTREX-or Here we go again

Prosine 2.0 / no A.C. in.
There is 50 amp power from the outside plug.
there is power into the surge guard.
there is no power into the inverter from the surge guard.
I do not hear the transfer switch when I start the gen/set. I have no ac from gen/set.
could it be the transfer switch?
all ideas and suggestions will be most appreciated.
Wa8yxm where are you ?

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #2

Chris,

If you are safe working around 120 VAC, with shore power disconnected and generator off, remove the lid to the ATS.

Plug in and turn on shore power breaker. Check for 120 VAC between the red and white and then black and white. Do this on the "in" and "out to breaker box" sides of the ATS.

That will tell you which direction you need to go to find the problem.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS

Old 08-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #3

Chris,
Good time to pull the cover on the SurgeGuard and verify that all the connections are torqued properly. The torque values are on the cover of the box, at least mine are. I had the same happen some years ago and found some had loosened. Now I check them every couple years or so and never had the problem again.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well the good news is this might NOT be an inverter issue.

You said you did not hear the transfer switch.. Question do you have AC anywhere.. outlets not powered by converter,, Air Conditioners and such.. This is the first thing to look for.. If you have no AC anywere.. You have a transfer issue or a power source issue. MOST COMMON of these when using Generator is the pair of circuit breakers on the Genny.

Now. Let's assume you DO have AC in the coach (on non-inverter powered outlets) or Air Conditioners)

Check all breakers.. There may be a 30 amp in the main panel tripped.

Now to the inverter and open the connecitons panel.. Visually inspect all connections. Any evidence of failure.. Fix. See note below.

Access 120 volt IN leads (CAREFUL DO NOT LET THEM BITE YOU) Dangerous voltage/current present.

See if a test lamp (100 watt) hooked to 120 volt leads will light IF NOT problem found,, No 120 volt to Prosine is actually the problem.

If you have power to the prosine.

Shut off all power.. Turn off switch ON THE PROSINE ITSELF (Center it, both up and down are ON) Lift 12 volt leads (negative) to remove 12 volt.

Pause. Have a cup of brew... Reconnect 12 volt lead, Restore 120 volt power. Turn switch on, And see if it's fixed itself.

Beyond that I can not assist.

NOTE: The leads on the Prosine are stranded wire.. Of course the "lines" connecting it to your motor home are romex.. They use wire nuts.

I have not had the best of luck doing that (two connections burned out, ONE on the Prosine) When they burn out.. I have the tools and skills to do a proper solder job.. That seems to work better (That's how they did it in the 1940's after all but not so common today).
Clamps work well too. But are bulkier.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

I do not have ac power beyond the Surge Guard that shows good ac in.Surge Guard goes to the transfer switch. Starting to look like the transfer sw.what say you ?
and thanks,

Old 08-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

See my post above for checking at the ATS.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #7

A bit of embarrassment. Always check your breaker switch first. When we park the coach at our home and connect the 50 amp cord we also turn off the breaker for the water heater. My honey inadvertently also turned off the main breaker for the coach which is located directly next to the breaker for the water heater. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help.
Until next time,

Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #8

Sure wish my Xantrex issue was that simple and inexpensive!! I have the dreaded no power from the inverter to any of its circuits, power in to it is fine, AC units run fine with external and genset power. The inverter tries to reset, but faults every time, all connections are tight etc. Looking to buy a magnum MS2800 soon, but it sure isn't cheap!!

WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xantrex