Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

I have a Xantrex Freedom Combi inverter/charger that has a problem I can't figure out. When AC is supplied to the Xantrex, the batteries will charge, the inverter on indicator lights up but the inverter won't power any of the outlets. If I turn off the AC power to the unit, the inverter will power all the outlets from the batteies. Any ideas what is causing this?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

I have a Xantrex Freedom Combi inverter/charger that has a problem I can't figure out. When AC is supplied to the Xantrex, the batteries will charge, the inverter on indicator lights up but the inverter won't power any of the outlets. If I turn off the AC power to the unit, the inverter will power all the outlets from the batteies. Any ideas what is causing this?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

When AC is supplied to the Xantrex the inverter never runs, only the charger. At that time AC power is run through the Xantrex's internal transfer switch. Since the charger will work, then the AC into the Xantrex is OK and since the inverter will work, then the output wiring must be OK. The only thing I know of, would be a problem with the internal transfer switch. There could be some other issue, but I no longer have the manuals on your unit. What are the other LED's doing?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
my coach had similar problems as yours a few months back. it was found that the hot line that was coming from the inverter to the breaker panel had come loose. once this was tightened everything worked fine.

Moorpark, CA
work2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #5

You might check the fuse (push-set type} on the inverter but yr best bet is to check the 120v connections on both the inverter and the breaker panel--besure all shore and inverter power is off. Fact is these coaches bounce down the road mile after mile so unlike your home electrical systems, we need to check/tighten all the 120v and 12v connections [set screw-yype] periodically.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Do a search on this forum for generator problems, transfer switch problems and inverter problems. You will find massive amounts of information on those systems and the root cause for most of the problems. It was/is very, very, very poor wiring quality control at WRV. This is especially true regarding the generator, transfer/surge guard/inverter and any 110V wiring in the coach. It's an interesting read, take your tranquilizer first, because when you finish, you will be mad as heck. RVIA my backside!!!!!!!
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote