Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Xantrex problem plus

plusHaving a problem with my 2003 38' FDTS coach. Seemingly, all of a sudden I have no power to the streetside of the coach. My Xantex system shows no power to any of my 1) battery charge levels, 2) the status of my holding tanks or even 3) fresh water level, and my 4) LP gas level. Including, no house water-pump or the overhead lights on that side of the coach. The curbside seems to be alright.

I've checked the breakers under the sink's cabinet, and they all appear to be alright. Is there a magic button I can push to rectify the problem??

Any and all advice and help will be appreciated.

J.S. Eddy Douglas, GA.
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
It sounds like your having problems with your 12 volt system, not the inverter (Xantrex) everything you described is 12 volts. Have you checked your fuses. They are probably by the circuit breakers.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
THANK YOU DGERSTEL. I WILL TAKE A SECOND, AND BETTER, LOOK AT THOSE FUSES. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL SOLVE MY PROBLEMS. I JUST GOT THE COACH BACK FROM THE SHOP HAVING MY HYDRAULIC HOSE REPLACED. OWNING A MOTORHOME DOES NOT COME WITHOUT ITS "TRAING SESSIONS".

Thank you, dgerstel. J.S. EDDY Douglas, GA.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
My Xantrex has two breakers on the unit . My problem was a mouse- fried and shorted the Xantrax wide open- in turn shorted the pos. lead from the box to the chassis rail
got the 4 batteries too. MESSY.
p.s. Costly also.
Good luck
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Well, i must not be as fortunate as some folks. Again i checked the 12v fuses bothin the bathroom cabinet and in front of the copilot seat. Everthing looks good so ar. I'm running out of ideas and time. Supposed to leave on a 7 day trip with two teen grandkids; one each of to flavors.
Does anyone else have any suggestions on where to look for this problem??????

Jim eddy '03 38'fdts - douglas, georgia
Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #6

Most of what you are describing as not working is 12v stuff on the passenger side, not sure what 12 volt stuff is on the other side [driver's side] that "seems to be working." Need to check status of 12 volt house [not engine] batteries and work your way thru switches and fuse links to the inverter and fuses boxes in the bedroom/bath area. Sounds more like a main 12volt system problem at or near the batteries rather than right side vs left.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Jim:

When you checked the fuses at the bathroom, did you just check the blade fuses or did you also check that power actually is arriving and leaving the fuse block? It really sounds like power is not leaving the fuse block to me. Look at the 2003 Owner's Manual (page below). It indicates the various functions you are missing may all tied to the same fuse block (mine is slightly different after a repair but wires are the same).

Grab that multi-meter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom Fuses and Breakers.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	4656  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #8

One other thing, which I'm sure you've probably done -- did you reset your battery disconnect switches? Maybe they were turned off at the shop and didn't get fully turned back on?
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Eddy View Post
plusHaving a problem with my 2003 38' FDTS coach. Seemingly, all of a sudden I have no power to the streetside of the coach. My Xantex system shows no power to any of my 1) battery charge levels, 2) the status of my holding tanks or even 3) fresh water level, and my 4) LP gas level. Including, no house water-pump or the overhead lights on that side of the coach. The curbside seems to be alright.

I've checked the breakers under the sink's cabinet, and they all appear to be alright. Is there a magic button I can push to rectify the problem??

Any and all advice and help will be appreciated.

J.S. Eddy Douglas, GA.
I have a 2001, which may or may not have the same electrical system.
(1) Do you have a Heart Interface/ Xantrex Freedom 20 inverter like I do?
(2) Do you have a Vansco system?

If (1) is true and (2) is false, I maybe can help. There is a circuit-breaker push-button on the face of the Xantrex, right by the battery cables. Try pushing that.

You didn't say whether you are plugged into shore power. Try all three power modes: unplugged from shore, generator off; unplugged, generator on; and plugged in to shore. If you get different results depending on which mode you're in, that will give useful clues.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:48 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If you still are having problems, there are 12V fuses in the battery compartment way in the back. I have them again, on two different terminal blocks in the drain bay and in the HYD PUMP compartment. You coach is laid out different than mine. Check the ACA website, see if you can get the wiring diagrams from there for your coach, and look them over to see where other fuse locations are for the 12V system.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #11

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
...............Check the ACA website, see if you can get the wiring diagrams from there for your coach, and look them over to see where other fuse locations are for the 12V system.
Sorry you are having problems with my old (non-Vansco) coach. If your owner's manual does not have a dc house wiring diagram, there is one in the 2003 owner's manual in the tech section of the ACA website. It looks like most of the things you are having problems with are from the same fuse block. I would start there with a multimeter looking for power at each circuit. For instance, the pump and the tank monitor are on the same fuse. If there is power, then I wonder if the problem systems have a common ground somewhere that has come loose.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #12

I found 2 of my main ground wires held in place with a loose fitting pop rivet. It was also poorly bonded to the side wall of the back bay.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I know it sounds too easy, but I had a similar problem in my 99 Alpine and after looking every where else It turned out to be the GFI in the bathroom.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Well, y'all have certainly given me some possible solutions to check out. I'm sure that one of the suggestions will be the answer.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas.

Jim Eddy '03 38'FDTS, just a-roastin' in south Georgia.