Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

Xantrex RS 2000

Well looks like the RS 2000 is starting to go out. Went to go on a camping trip and was checking out everything before the trip. I cycled the generator and when I shut the generator off the xantrex did not transfer back. I tried to do the reset and I could hear it trying to transfer but but would drop back out. This went on for several tries and then nothing. I checked all shore power connections and all was good. Checked the surge transfer switch and all was good but no ac power from xantrex and no charging to batteries. I left it off that night and got up the next morning and all was working. I was concerned and called xantrex to find out it is no longer supported with repair and I needed to look at replacing the unit. The support said that it appeared that the transfer relay is intermittent. We went on the camping trip anyway and the same thing happened when we got to the campground. After a while it came on and started working fine.
The xantrex rep suggested replacing it with the Freedom SW 2012 unit. I have been reading about people replacing theirs and I want to make it as painless as possible. He said the panel and auto gen start panel would work with the new unit. Anybody done this swap with info they could share would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 PM   #2

A lot can be said about inverters. On my 99' 40'FDS, the Heart inverter that came installed at the WRV factory, fried the circuit board. So I launched into a full research of inverters for motorhomes and marine. Strongly suggest you do the same. There many different units on the market with varying features and prices. After months of looking this past winter, I opted for a UL listed AIMS Pure Sine wave inverter/charger: http://www.aimscorp.net/3000-Watt-Pure-Sine-Inverter-Charger-UL.html
My goal was to find an inverter that was rugged, that included the important features and was a good value for the money. I am of the opinion that too many high tech bells and whistles, can mean that many more things to go wrong. With prices anywhere for $1,500.00 to $3,000.00 with a one year warranty, I had to think hard before buying. I did not want to be buying another unit anytime soon. Time will tell whether or not I made the right choice. The performance of the AIMS has been very good. Be sure to consider location. The AIMS like other inverter/chargers I read about, have a fairly noisy fan. That prompted a relocation from next to the bedroom to the basement. Don't forget to look into cost of cables, wire and fuses. That can add $200.00 to $300.00 to the total price. If you are comfortable working with electrical, the install is fairly straight forward. However, the inverter itself is heavy, like 60lbs heavy. In a tight space that can be a challenge. You are welcome to private message me if you would like more info.

AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

I too lost the Xantrex RS2000 in my Apex, reading the suggestions on this board and a follow up with SilverLeaf made me decide on the Magnum MS2800. Installation was very straightforward, but I have not returned my TM102 for programming and the control cable connection is a different type (phone jack vice internet cable type). The weight was the largest issue, I used two birch furring strips and used jack stands under them with bags of dry mix concrete on the ends making a ramp to slide the old unit out and slide the new one in while saving my back. I am happy with the results!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Paul,

I replaced my old Freedom 458 Combi with the new SW2012. I had to replace the battery temperature sensor, the SCP, the bus cable (RJ12 vs RJ45), and replaced the old AGS for the new Xanbus AGS. If upgrading from an RS 2000 does not require all of those additional replacements for compatibility then the SW2012 may be a good option for you. I love the entire integrated system since the old AGS really SUCKED.

Please be aware that my fans run CONSTANTLY during charge mode! I even had my unit diagnosed by a local Xantrex Service Center who didn't find anything wrong. I don't know what (if any) affect the fans might have during dry camping but would guess that there's a little extra amps required during inverter mode if they have to run constantly. We don't dry camp so that's not an issue for us and the new AGS can be set to whatever voltage I desire to start the generator (supporting a "quiet time" could become an issue).

I have even resorted to employing a Schumacher Wet-cell Battery Charger while stored in my RV garage to avoid running the fans. I'm hoping it will ultimately extend their life. They are relatively easy to replace if necessary ($$?).
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

Still trying to decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Paul,

I replaced my old Freedom 458 Combi with the new SW2012. I had to replace the battery temperature sensor, the SCP, the bus cable (RJ12 vs RJ45), and replaced the old AGS for the new Xanbus AGS. If upgrading from an RS 2000 does not require all of those additional replacements for compatibility then the SW2012 may be a good option for you. I love the entire integrated system since the old AGS really SUCKED.

Please be aware that my fans run CONSTANTLY during charge mode! I even had my unit diagnosed by a local Xantrex Service Center who didn't find anything wrong. I don't know what (if any) affect the fans might have during dry camping but would guess that there's a little extra amps required during inverter mode if they have to run constantly. We don't dry camp so that's not an issue for us and the new AGS can be set to whatever voltage I desire to start the generator (supporting a "quiet time" could become an issue).

I have even resorted to employing a Schumacher Wet-cell Battery Charger while stored in my RV garage to avoid running the fans. I'm hoping it will ultimately extend their life. They are relatively easy to replace if necessary ($$?).

Thanks Bob and all that replied for the information. From the info I have gotten from Xantrex the SW 2012 is a direct replacement for the RS 2000. Bob confirms that with his post. Mine also has the auto generator start which will also work with the new SW 2012 per Xantrex.
I do have a concern that the RS 2000 was abandonded so quick and is no longer supported. My coach is a 2008 and I wish I could get the unit repaired. From what I have seen it looks like the company was taken over by Schneider Electric. I know how takeovers are and the new owners change things and people. I have only had the Alpine for 3 years and the RS 2000 has worked very well up to this time. I like the operation and the control panels so I am leaning towards the SW 2012. The use of the existing cables is a real selling point. Running new cables in the coach is not easy from what I have been looking at. The existing unit right now is working fine but I cannot rely on it so I will be replacing it before we go on another trip.
Thanks for all the input and I will report back on my decision and how the new install went.

Thanks Again
Paul
Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #6

UPDATE: My new AIMS inverter just failed. Will post my experience once I install another replacement
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #7

Mine went out about 3 years ago. Replaced it with Magnim 2800. I sent my TM102 to Silverleaf to be programed and everything has worked well ever since. I would get Magnum again if needed.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #8

Hi all
Just to let you know you don't have to change the cables in most cases. You can just change the ends. If yours is a rs2000 it uses a cat 5 connector. The magnum uses a 4 conductor data cable. You can change both ends and use only 4 of the wires. There is also a cable adapter that plugs into cat 5 and comes out with phone type connector. Have done conversion on several alpines. Only takes a few minutes for each cable end

Tags
xantrex