Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #15

As I mentioned on another post, McGaugh RV in Springdale, AR are no longer doing Alpine warranty work, and probably are no longer going to carry Alpines. We had our 10,000 mile inspection done there and thought they were efficient. We were sorry to learn of their problems with the Alpine Service department.

La Mesa RV, Tampa, etc., as most probably know, are no longer Alpine dealers. Personally, we did not feel we got good service from them, so we weren't surprised.

Beverly and Buddy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2006, 06:15 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
I've talked to so many RV owners lately that really like my motorhome and when I ask them why they bought SOB they said it was because the service was great at the other brand.They all have told me that they know I have a better looking and handling coach but they still would buy the same brand because of the service.It is a real shame that people are buying SOB in the same price range as ours but a lot less quailty just to get better service.Maybe it is a good thing that WRV doesn't have great service or they would have to build twice as many coaches.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:28 AM   #17

We took our "06 FDDS in for refrig. icing problem Tuesday morn. about 10 a.m. to Holiday Kampers in Spartanburg, SC. At 2 p.m., I got a call that the MH was ready. When we picked it up, I asked if they had called WRV. Answer was "yes." Message was left on ans. mach. to Mike Avila, and he called back within the hour (you can't ask for better than that). So, I still have to say that, personally, our experience with service at WRV has been very good. Also, Holiday Kamper is willing to do warranty work for WRV and did not complain about any problems. When we go thru them, we never pay for anything--they go thru the channels. At this point we are still very satisfied with Holiday Kamper and WRV, even though Holiday does not sell Alpines.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 11-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #18

I have got to say that as long as you go through proper channels and contact WRV and get proper authorization for repair under warranty, reimbursement was/is carried out by WRV very promptly.This really does not take much effort. I guess it comes down to if you can afford to pay upfront or feel comfortable to do so. I do not blame WRV for conducting business this way. There are a number of reasons why it would be better for them to approach it in this manner.

I remember somebody mentioning somewhere in this tread "Poor Tech support Interface from the factory" -During my 3 month stay at a dealership in the southwest I spent much time observing dealership tech's doing repair work.
The one thing that stood out to me was that the person that orders the parts for the dealership through WRV is critical. I have noticed that unless this person is well versed in all phases of Motorcoach parts, many is the time that they order the wrong part.I have seen this firsthand for parts on my coach plus others and have witnessed them describing or lining up the wrong part over the phone. I have witnessed dealership tech's going over what they need,doing the paper work and later receiving parts different then what they had ordered.
The communication between the dearship parts orderer and WRV is critical.Maybe I should also say between the dealership Tech and the dealership parts orderer is just as critical.

I guess what I am saying is it takes a proper "chain of communication" all the way to WRV and back. Although it generally appears on the outside to be the fault of the Coach maker, more times then not a error in judgement anywhere along this communication can end up making the Coach maker look bad. But as commented earlier in the thread about the poor Tech Support interface from the factory... It is my belief that this is one critical area where WRV could become more dynamic in it's effort to "Know their Coach" inside out.Obviously if the individual at WRV Tech support has a complete understanding and knowledge of the Alpine in all it's phases, it would be of considerable value. I do not get the feeling that this is always the case.Maybe it depend's on the individual at WRV as in all things certain individuals will be better versed at their trade.
From my experiences with warranty or repair work at the dealership, it all comes down to making the "Right Call" on the parts. This is where it all goes Right or all goes wrong. When you hear the dreaded "waiting for parts" I wonder how many times they "reshipped" the parts before they finally get it right ....????
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 AM   #19

Wingding, I very much agree with your thoughts of coordinating the proper parts to be purchased from any manufacturer. It is always a loop hole, but before you get to that I am not terribly comfortable with the "serviceman" as such that is working on my coach. A lot of the issues that have come up in this forum are repetetive problems. In my case ent. door wind noise. 18 months of not having two TV'a work at the same time. Actually the rear TV never works. In addition I have again encountered a leak in my forward slide while we were in S Carolina. It was excessive. I have friends with a Winnebago Brave and have had for 6 years with three slides and never a drop of water has leaked in. It sounds to me that Alpine needs to stand up to attention and get these re-occuring problems corrected. I have spoken with Mark Glazier and one of my technicians is going to speak to one of WRV's experts on the TV's and hopefully straighten it out. Gentlemen's name is Phil Matoon. Hopefully we can resolve this issue and if so I am going to have a sale on TV clickers. The wind noise apparently is a number of holes that require filling. What a pleasure that would be that my wife and I could talk to each other driving down the road at least most of the time. I always would have the option of unplugging the holes if required. Eng Mike I would think you would appreciate that. The water leak to me, seems as though it should be relatively simple, but not yet. I truly feel that is a dealer/technician problem. I will keep you postd on all updates. In all honesty this coach does everything else admirably well. It is a pleasure to drive. Performance is excellent. It rides and handles well. There are some switches that are installed in really stupid places, but over time they can be moved. The floor cover in front of the passenger seat should be accesible to that person.Not in the back of the slide out console which I feel should be eliminated immediately. All switches should be recessed in to the dash with luminescent labels or better yet lighted. Create a glass holder for the driver that fits and holds a glass properly. Those switches in the slideout are actually dangerous for anything that can be done while driving. That is why we have co-pilots. They(co-pilots) know how to push buttons extremely well, garage door openers, dishwashers, washers & dryers and least of all telephones. All kidding aside placement of switches in the 2005 is poor but easily corrected.Possibly in the 2006 & 2007's that has been taken care of. The largest problem I have is a dealer on the East Coast. That is a real concern. This company is so close to building a superb motorcoach, but the little things are killing them.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #20

Ted III,

Please keep us posted about the solutions to your TV problems. We were hoping to make a trip to the factory in May 2007 for this and our Smar Tire issue. Hope that it does not become a problem due to the change in ownership of the factory.

Beverly
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #21

The other evening, I got to thinking about some of the comments on this forum and how the new ownership will affect the quality of our coach. It is close to being a first class unit. I jotted down some of the areas that I think would bring us into the great coach class. They are items that other coaches have included: 1. We have beautiful tile floors but steal from Allegro Bus, the neat tile trim at the top of the entry door steps. Alpine uses a metal trim. 2. Either change the front door or use a air lock system that Mandalay coach uses. I drove one and it was silent up front. How many complaints do we read on air noise. 3. It is controversial, but how about a single windshield to improve the appearance. 4. Place a water pump switch in the service bay. 5. Place another cup holder for the driver, so that we can have our water AND coffee. 6. How about 12 volt reading lights by the bed. and 7. Return to basics with the TV system. My friend has a Allegro Zepher. He has HD, surround sound, but simple to operate.

This is a short list and by all means, not complete. When you have a coach that retails for $350,000, plus or minus, spend a few more dollars and we won't be too far from being a great coach. There is a study group within ACA that works on such issues, but most of us never see what they are working on and don't give as much input as we should. Bob Lee has a great reputation as a coach builder (except some his paint scheme are, well, let's say different!!!) and now might a good time to consolidate ideas and present them to management. What do you think?
Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #22

Buddy & Beverly, I will certainly keep you informed of our TV issue. My greatest fear is when my tech & WRV's tech speak the whole d*** thing will work perfectly. That will really scare me to death.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #23

Ted III,

Thanks for your reply. Fortunately (or unfortunately), I don't think we'll have the problem that "maybe" the TV will work. Will be interested in what happens with yours.

Beverly
Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #24

"This company is so close to building a superb motorcoach, but the little things are killing them."
Ted III, Ever since you made the above statement ....Well I just can not seem to forget it.
Dam ! They are so close. You cannot beat it for the ride. No way. That is the foundation-That chassis!!! They actually designed the chassis like a nascar.The man in charge {Jones}{I believe his last name, was/is a Nascar man} Sure knew what he was doing!!!!
This is why we have it over all the RV's. Besides Newell, I know there's at least one/two more but I cannot think of the name/s at the moment: How many motor coach companies make their own Chassis- Then Compound that with: How many make their own chassis and set the whole thing up to ride like a BMW or take corners like a nascar.

To this day I cannot get over the difference in ride of a Alpine and ever other Motorcoach known.
It's not the price that makes the ride,it is the engineered design.
I drove every imaginable coach on a 70 mile trip for 3 month's that was preplanned for the worse days. Every coach from the 1 mil down -even gave the lowest priced RV's a chance too.
NOTHING came close to that ALPINE....NOTHING
And I wanted something to beat it... Because I did not like the interior layout-material-igenuity or the cargo door latches and cargo door setup.A little more quality across all those fronts.
So true that the -Little things are killing them.

I found other coaches with a longer history seem to have the interior Quality-Placement-coordination of controls with more in depth thinking of long term function ability.

Unfortunately, this is where Alpine just does not measure up.
Alpine placed it's emphasis on the RIDE and that ride coincides with its chassis.

My dream coach would have the Alpine exterior look and chassis setup with a simple Monterrey interior.Plus the Monterrey cargo door setup and latches. Believe it or not I would need no more then that.
Unfortunately the Monterrey drives like a 1930 Garbage truck with two flat front tires and leaves you pretty much out of breath after a 70 mile ride down a windy road.Could you imagine 700? All the others had different combinations of good and bad.
BUT
Lets face it...What do we do with these things....We DRIVE them great distances... OK, so who can possible compete with the RIDE....
NO ONE.
Thats why it is frustrating that we can not have the dream combination.

It is SOOOO true that the Serviceman that you get is truely a roll of the dice> Nothing could be more true. I found that the different degrees of professionalism from the servicemen was so vast that some were truely gifted and some needed my help at times to figure something pretty simple out.
So is the amount of effort and dedication to "GETTING IT RIGHT" Verus "a good show" and send him on his way.......
The servicemen come with different attitudes and degrees of ability. Not only that but they have different degrees of dignity. Some will not let any problem pass them by. You might have no idea of what that may be, but they do...
They will make sure all the weaknesses are taken care of and the cronic problems gone over. They work on these coaches all the time and they KNOW.
Do not be surprised that the New Motorhome's Owner's Attitude goes a long way on how much a serviceman will go out of his way.I have seen terrible attitudes with some of the owners and the servicemen would only take care of what was asked of them. Even knowing of something else was a major problem but offered nothing as they were treated poorly.They only were too happy to rid themselves of such people. Boy, was that so obvious. You can learn alot if you are patient and spend a number of month's right on site.
I was sooooo very fortunate that I had one of the Very best mechanic's. He made sure that everything was either right or documented for further Alpine factory work.
If not for him I would have certainly been stranded somewhere where a series of things would have happened eventually had he not gone through a "preventative maintenance" proceedure that uncovered a number of serious things that would have ultimately failed.
I was very-very fortunate in this manner.
All I can say is show kindness-respect and courtesy and you will be rewarded. So obvious but so overlooked.

The other issue on company related situations where the company truely knows it has a problem with something but casts a blind eye, like your front coach door noise and the future radiator problem we all are going to encounter for us, the "Expoxy generation".
Lundy makes some very nice points on small but huge improvements that would address some cronic Alpine problems. That air lock door system that Mandalay coaches use would instanely solve one major alpine problem you and many others have.

In the end, shortchanging the coach to lower the price a few bucks is ultimatley not the answer here. I doubt many of us would have changed our minds had the final price been $25'000 more had the coach been splendidly appointed with all the proper quality and workmanship you would expect from a coach that's the best ride in the industry.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:14 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
I'm glad Wingding mentioned Lundy's comments, as that caused me to go back to reread his post from Dec 5. Lundy, I have added your items to my list for discussion in the next Focus Group meetning, though I don't yet know when that will be.

I do have a question about one of your items...you mentioned 12V reading lights by the bed. Our 2004's bedroom reading lights do operate on 12V, although our 2001's did not. Do you have an older model? Also, can someone with a 2006 or 2007 please let me know if these lights have been changed back to 110V only?

Thanks! Gail
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #26

Gail,
I was surprised when I just checked but they are 110 (ac) only
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That air lock door system that Mandalay coaches use would instanely solve one major alpine problem you and many others have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have searched the internet at great length for an inflatable door seal. I find pneumatic seals for aircraft, but none seem to be adaptable to a MH door. Any ideas? It truely seems the way to go .
Old 01-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #28

Tom, I have been doing exactly the same thing looking for an inflatable door seal with the same success that you have had. I am still trying.