Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #15

Well We made it back home today, thank the Lord!

I found out that the kwikee step motor was froze, I disassembled it got the parts order and will get her back working soon.

Last issue we had when returned home was I was starting to level the rig

Its powergear I dumped the bags, turned the system on, pressed the rear jacks button they engaged and then I started to do the fronts jacks they extended a ways and I remembered I should have extended the fronts first. So I paused and then retracted all jacks.

I then shut off the key, waited a few seconds and then tried to restart the process extending the fronts, NOTHING!! Is there some kind of reset for this system? I swear its always something!! Now I figure it has to be something simple. I hate gremlins! Thanks for your help guys.

RUNDLC
RUNDLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #16

OH by the way I did something else very dumb!!
I guess I was in a hurry to get settled, I put the slide out before leveling the rig, now it wont retract either!!!

Now I am gonna check the fluid for the jacks in case it's low. I have not seen any fluid leaking anywhere. Since the slide has an electric motor I don't think those two things are related??

Ive had a bad day gonna go to sleep and worry about it tomorrow At least Im home when this crap happens more to learn I guess.

HEAVY SIGH

RUNDLC
Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #17

Ok to hopefully wrap up this thread I found a few things out today.

1. The slide actually retracted today, what I did was to start the coach last night with airbags inflated. Came out this morning turned the slide control and she started moving! I then stopped for s second to make sure everything was all clear hit the key nothing! so I started toggling the key and it started working again. I think the key switch is nearing the end of it's life. So I will look for a new one.

2. It appears that at age 14 things are gonna lock up and quit working,
I check the fluid level and it was pouring out so its full, checked the blue start wire to the solenoid on the pump, has power when button on control pad is pushed. I did hear a "clicking" noise prior to taking that wire off.
I would say a new solenoid is in order to get the jacks to operate again.

3. Should have new step motor and linkage by tomorrow. I lubricated all the hinge points and it does move much smoother.

Hopefully this will be all that crops up right now.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #18

Jacks only issue now

Not sure how to redo this thread, but dont want to start another one.

I emailed powergear about my non working condition, I was told to check wire#8 (blue) to make sure I had 12v at the solenoid that is strapped to the pump.
I verified this, so I ordered a solenoid $114.00 installed it and retried leveling the darn thing, NOTHING. UGH!!

The next item I was told to replace is the control unit, now I am wondering if there is anything else I can try before spending another amount?? Control unit sounds expensive and if that didnt work I would be a little heated under the collar.

Anyone have any ideas??

I guess like Retiredblade says these things are a money pit!!

Jackless in Elk Grove
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #19

Actually you should start a new thread for a new problem.
Anyone reading the no start ISC on the header won't read all the posts to discover you have another issue you need help with.

I have an HWH leveling , they use a solenoid attached to the pump also.
When the solenoid clicks , can you test for power to the pump motor side of the solenoid? If you jump across the solenoid , one heavy cable to the other, does the motor run?
If not the motor may have internal corrosion ; like mine did; that stopped the brushes from grounding ( erratically ) and of course stopped the system. I repaired my pump motor , and have done one for a friend and another member had the same issue , that needed repair.
If by-passing the solenoid doesn't result in the motor operating, the problem could be similar and I'll link you to my post on the motor repair.

EDIT: Testing the grounding of the entire system would also be in order, nothing says erratic operation , like a bad ground.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #20

Thanks for the advise Skip, ? Do you mean jump the large red power cable to the other large ground cable? Wont that cause a short? Forgive me for my ignorance on this issue.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #21

You will get a spark ( slight ) as the power goes to the motor's armature, but it's not a short, because the power has to flow through a load device.
Power straight to ground is a short.

In this picture of my system, you can see the cable attached to the motor, and both cables on the solenoid. From your power cable , you could go to the other post on the solenoid , or direct to the starter power post.
The black cable to the frame rail was what I had to add to get my pump working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404 (640x360).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	101440  
Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #22

This is what I find on my motor, I don't see a hot going directly to the motor like yours?? I felt around the side to see if there was another cable but didn't feel anything. After reviewing this just now I guess the black cable Carries the power to the motor, so I would need a b. etter ground cable to the actual motor? Is that correct?

Ohhh I see jump the red hot directly to the motor bypassing the solenoid!! I get it sorry im a little slow.

UPDATE @Skip, I bypassed the solenoid like you suggested, motor just clicks, guess that means it's froze up. Please post how you repaired it if you don't mind. Thanks

Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #23

Our motors are slightly different , but here's the link.
Before removing the motor, try running an aux ground wire between the motor housing and the coach frame to make sure the problem is internal.

I'll BRB, I've misplaced the link and need to close this page to go and find it. I'll edit in a few mins.

EDIT:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/hwh-p...ure-240908html

If you not feel comfortable doing this yourself , there should be an electric re-build stop somewhere close by.