Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
01 Tradewinds Starter Relay

I think the starter relay in my 2001 Tradewinds is about done. I have a Cat 3126B on a Freightliner chassis. Turn the key on and no power to the dash at all. It takes me anywhere from 5-20 tries turning the ignition on and off to get power to the dash in order to get it started. Batteries are good and I tried replacing the ignition switch but still have the same problem.
Is it better to go through Freightliner for the starter relay or is this something I can get from NAPA? Also, I am curious as to how hard/time consuming this is from anyone who has replaced this before and if there are any tips I should know about? From what I have read on the Freightliner forum, my start relay is located on the frame under the bed....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have changed mine. However, my indicators were different than yours. When I turned my ignition on, I had dash power...lights, gauges, etc. But, when I turned the key to start my engine......NO Response, NOTHING! It usually took 2-5 attempts before it started. I got a Starter Relay P/N from FL but could not find it anywhere on the Internet, except at Freightliner in Daffney, SC. I called the local Freightliner Dealer and they said they no longer used that P/N, but had a substitute. I got the substitute part and it fit OK, except the terminals were rotated 90 degrees. That required cutting the wire bundle tie in order to pull the extra length to safely make the connections. Works Great! (if I were doing it again, I would order the direct replacement part from Freightliner, Gaffney, SC)

Yes, the Starter Relay is located on a metal plate, right hand side, directly below the foot of the bed opening about 2.5 feet. Check all connections, including batteries, for looseness and corrosion while you are in there. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Rook. I may have to go back and double check the connections at the batteries again -- my biggest issue is the total absence of dash power when I turn the key to "on" (even though the headlights work, go figure) in order to get it started. Have you ever located your ignition relay switch? I am beginning to wonder if my problem might be there or in the Battery Distribution Board.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like it's the "switched" 12V that is intermittent and since you have replaced the ignition switch, it's probably a corroded or loose connection somewhere. I don't think the headlights get power through the Ignition. ROOK

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, there is a switch called "the neutral safety switch". It prevents you from starting the engine in any gear except neutral. Turn the ignition on and switch from neutral to some other gear, on and off, and see if that has any effect. I have no idea where this switch or relay is. Rook

Old 10-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

Yeah, check all connections first, before you spend any money on it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Yeah, check all connections first, before you spend any money on it.

I can't see how a bad starter solenoid would cause no power to the dash there just not related in that direction. Missing dash voltage would inhibit starting but a bad solenoid won’t kill the power to the dash.. I agree with Dunner fix the missing power and then determine if the solenoid is bad.
Dunner, How you doing.......felling better I hope.
Dick
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realag View Post
I think the starter relay in my 2001 Tradewinds is about done. I have a Cat 3126B on a Freightliner chassis. Turn the key on and no power to the dash at all. It takes me anywhere from 5-20 tries turning the ignition on and off to get power to the dash in order to get it started. Batteries are good and I tried replacing the ignition switch but still have the same problem.
Is it better to go through Freightliner for the starter relay or is this something I can get from NAPA? Also, I am curious as to how hard/time consuming this is from anyone who has replaced this before and if there are any tips I should know about? From what I have read on the Freightliner forum, my start relay is located on the frame under the bed....

I'm doing fine now. Almost back to my old self.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Well, it's fixed. Every connection cleaned and tightened, one new not-needed ignition switch, and about three hours of checking, cursing, testing, praying and head scratching. Turns out some idiot put a 9/16" terminal nut on the 1/2" negative threaded post on one of the chassis batteries, so it was barely making a connection, thus the intermittent power. One 1/2" nut on and tightened and all is well.
P.S. - pretty sure the above-referenced idiot is me since I was the one who replaced the chassis batteries last spring.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Good Job

Dick
Old 10-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Just for future needs if your starter solonoid goes I found mind at Napa by them cross referencing the old one. Also mine was connected to a plate under the access panel in the bdrm. After removing it by stretching my arms a foot or more, I took the plate off the frame and mounted the solonoid to it and then back up to the frame. A lot easier. Here's the cost and p/n from mine last year.

Well, with my Military discount the solenoid was 22.43 out the door.

For anyone else who might run into this the NAPA part number is ST404.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the part number.. It's in my book now. Speaking of parts, have you had to replace the bulb on your little circular driving lights yet? I pulled mine and no identifying number anything legible on it. They seem to be some special kind of bulb.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Mine is not the LTC model. They made a 7390 and a LTC 7390. My driving/foglights are rectangular. I'd do a post on it as there are a lot of LTC owners on here. Haven't ran into a regular 7390 yet.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Is your front slide a sofa and booth slide? If so what is it sliding in and out on?? Black Plastic skids (12x6") or rollers??