Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello and good afternoon. Another twist in the 12v system and I could use a little help. As some might remember a few weeks ago we were in deep conversation about new 6v batteries. Having bought a new pair and installed them, I thought I might of solved my low voltage problem. For the first two weeks, the battery display reports a nice 13.7-14.1 volts. Last night I notice the lights to be a bit dim,,,,,again. I checked the voltage,,,11.2. I started the generator and let it run for about 20 minutes, turned off the generator and the batteries started heading back to 14.1v. This morning, right back at 14.1, on shore power. My question: Does switching to the genset and then back to shore power reset something that would make the charger start charging again?
I'm completely at a loss as to where to look for a reasonable solution.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello and good afternoon. Another twist in the 12v system and I could use a little help. As some might remember a few weeks ago we were in deep conversation about new 6v batteries. Having bought a new pair and installed them, I thought I might of solved my low voltage problem. For the first two weeks, the battery display reports a nice 13.7-14.1 volts. Last night I notice the lights to be a bit dim,,,,,again. I checked the voltage,,,11.2. I started the generator and let it run for about 20 minutes, turned off the generator and the batteries started heading back to 14.1v. This morning, right back at 14.1, on shore power. My question: Does switching to the genset and then back to shore power reset something that would make the charger start charging again?
I'm completely at a loss as to where to look for a reasonable solution.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #3

It would seem to me that the wiring from the converter/charger to the battery is the same reagardless of being on gen power or shore power. So I believe there is no problem there.

So that leaves from the converter to the transfer relay and that should be the same for both the gen power and shore power. So no problem there.

The only thing left then is the transfer switch. The big question here is that when your battery voltage is down to 11 volts on shore power then do you have full 110 volt power (both legs)throughout the motor home? If you have two ac units and you can normally run both units on shore power with a 50 amp circuit because it splits the power into two 110 25 amp circuits (legs). The easiest thing is to try and turn on both ac units. If they both come on when on shore power and with 11 volts battery status showing then the transfer switch is good on both legs. If only one ac unit comes on then you have lost one leg of power from the transfer switch or (coming into the MH via your shore power plug). If one ac unit fails to come on then the transfer switch has a problem. starting the genset unit would cause the transfer switch to switch and maybe reset the problem.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good stuff. Next time, before I run the genset, I'll measure a 110v socket. I was also thinking that the transfer switch was being forced to switch from shore to genset. Perhaps I have a "going bad" contactor.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Rick, how long were you running on battery power? What systems were utilized? If the inverter was on, this would be a big power drain. We recently dry camped at a rally and I was amazed how fast the inverter drained the batteries. In my opinion this should be done with four house batteries, two just don't cut it.

I recently installed the upgraded Xantrex remote control for the inverter. I was surprised how inefficient the generator was at charging the batteries. You just cannot beat shore power.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #6

Rick, you will have to figure out which 110 v sockets are on which leg. You probably can tell by the circuit breaker panel. You should have two main breakers, one for each of the legs of the 50 amp circuit. Switch one off and see what you lose. then switch off the other one and see what you lose. Now you should know which two different things to measure to see if boths legs are on.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred and Bonnie:
Rick, how long were you running on battery power? What systems were utilized? If the inverter was on, this would be a big power drain. We recently dry camped at a rally and I was amazed how fast the inverter drained the batteries. In my opinion this should be done with four house batteries, two just don't cut it.
I recently installed the upgraded Xantrex remote control for the inverter. I was surprised how inefficient the generator was at charging the batteries. You just cannot beat shore power.

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Fred. I'm on shore power. I don't dry camp much and haven't for a couple of years. That would also say that I didn't have the inverter on. We normally have a few lights on, (all 12v) and maybe the rear furnace, (the fan is 12v). That would be about it.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Canter:
Rick, you will have to figure out which 110 v sockets are on which leg. You probably can tell by the circuit breaker panel. You should have two main breakers, one for each of the legs of the 50 amp circuit. Switch one off and see what you lose. then switch off the other one and see what you lose. Now you should know which two different things to measure to see if boths legs are on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea. I actually use a few devices that help to stop the emi running through coach. I know what 120v sockets are on what leg. Tonight I will check the voltage on each leg and then again when I see the batteries down to 11v again. This is good stuff. Thanks for the great suggestion.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick,
This is a good write up by KentM
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/for...321074354#4321074354
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote