Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #1

12 Volt distribution panel

Does anyone have any idea who supplied the 12 volt distribution panel in the 99 Tropical on a F53 chassie. If so do you have a link or a phone number.

When the coach is plugged in I am only getting 12.8 volts to the house batterys. The converter is putting out 14.2 volts. When the engine is running I only get 13.0 volts to the house batterys even though the chassie battery is getting 14.1 volts. I have checked and cleaned all connections and nothing has changed. The only thing I can figure is I have a problem wiyh the 12 volt distribution panel. Any other ideas????

Thanks Chuck
cseidel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I seriously doubt it is the 12 volt distribution panel unless it is an old Magnetek 6300 or one like it

On the panel there will be a maker's name and/or model number (normallY) but the 12 volt panel is nothing more than a fuse block.. Unless it has an intergrated converter, it's just a fuse block, consists of a couple of brass or copper bars and some sockets for fuses.. Not much that can possibly go wrong with it.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #3

the Tropical has a very complex distribution panel that decides when to charge house and chassie batteries and houses a lot of circuitery. The name on the panel is RV Custom Products but nothing comes up on a internet search.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Chuck,
Before doing any repairs, consider measuring the VDC input right at the distribution panel. Then measure the output, right at the distribution panel.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
RV Custom Products is alive and well in souther Calif.

14000 Anson Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA. 90670
Phone: (562) 921-8353

Ask for Mary...
Teller her the board model you have in your BCC (Battery Control Center) and she will FAX.. and yes I said fax you over the info on ALL of their boards!!

Sorry but they do NOT have a web page... it would be soooo much easier if they did.

Your BCC should be under the hood, in a box of some type... here is a pic of a board. The red circle and arrow, highlight the Model and Rev number.

Note: Disregard the highlighted text except for the CAUTION... your relays may not be behind the board.
CLICK the picture to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB-115revA.jpg
Views:	2170
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	2170  
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseidel2 View Post
the Tropical has a very complex distribution panel that decides when to charge house and chassie batteries and houses a lot of circuitery. The name on the panel is RV Custom Products but nothing comes up on a internet search.

Ah, that one is what I call a Battery Control Center.. It is not so much the distribution panel (Which is, as I said, nothing more than a fuse block) as it is the battery disconnect and control system. Mine is made by intelletech and is.. as you describe.

Now, it does have a "Distribution" (Fuse block) panel or two as part of it's contents.

But the distribution panel in my rig is about 20 feet to the rear of it.. I know.. I added fuses there.

This panel has nothign to do with charging voltages. as those are set by the converter.

However there are two or three things that can cause the lower voltage at the batteries you see.

One is if the batteries are DISCONNECTED, this may be by your mistake (and for the record has been by mine) or due to the failure of the battery control solenoid or it's control switch (yup, had that too)

The second is a 2 parter (a/b) that being a shorted cell on the battery, turning your 12 volt battery into a 10 volt.. Likewise very very very low batteries,, In these cases so much current is drawn that the difference is due to the wire loss.

The third, which is kind of related to the 2nd, is a poor connection (IE: Screw loose.. I'm fond of saying we RVers have a few screws loose.. The Metal kind not the Mental kind,,, though I won't arge on the latter) causing higher than normal resistance in the wires.

And that.. just about exhausts the suspects

On my coach this is what happened.

I pulled into a Flying-J and approached the propane pump (Cause I needed GAS, not Gasoline, well needed that too but later)

Hit the "STORE" side of the "use/store" (Battery disconnect) switch as this turns off the water heater, fridge, furnace and.. well, everything (Even air conditioner since it uses 12vdc for control) provided I don't have shore or generator power. Got a nice confirming CLUNK from the BCC under the hood.

Gassed up and pulled away from the pump.. Hit the "USE" side of the switch......

NOTHING

Switch had failed

I got the service manual from the manufacturer's support site, followed the trouble shoot, determined it was the switch, and fixed the switch.

I can tell you the easy way to trouble shoot that switch

Find the actual Battery Solenoid... Hook a test lamp across the two SMALL terminals

operate the switch If the light comes on in both USE and STORE positions.. Switch is working

IN my case it only came on in STORE.

Comes on both ways now.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. It turned out the problem was the battery interconnect solenoid. Although it energized and closed normaly it was not making good contact across the main posts. Replaced with a ST85 from NAPA. Higher anperage and copper contacts that the original did not have. Everything works great now.

Chuck
Old 12-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

How did you go about getting to that solenoied? Did you have to remove the PC board in front of it? Ugh. that must have been difficult. Was it? I have a sinilar problem with that solenoid. Wally G
dogiewal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
What exactly does the interconnect solenoid look like or how is it identified and where is it? (I don't see anything like what I thought it would look like in the above picture) (sounds like I have the same symptoms but I'm not sure what to look for).
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #10

Smile Relay

I changed mine in my 2000 National Dolphin last apring as the old one wasn't doing the job and went to the same Napa one that cseidel2 did. There sure a lot of wierd things happen when the relay or solonoid packs it in. I guess it is a part that is cheap from the beginning and that's the way it goes! Mine is located in the front right compartment along with the converter. Yes it takes a lot of patience to change it without taking the front circuit board off. Disconnest the batteries first, important! Then get out your little stool and tools and get at her, no special tools but it went a lot smoother than I thought it would. Have fun! Harry from Vancouver Island B.C. Canada.
millers-cave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

The solenoid looks like the pic below, example.
My interconnect solenoid is mounted behind the fuse panel circuit board. Before you start replacing it disconnect the chassis and coach battery ground cables.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. As Gary detailed, it was behind the circuit board so I never even noticed it.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogiewal View Post
How did you go about getting to that solenoied? Did you have to remove the PC board in front of it? Ugh. that must have been difficult. Was it? I have a sinilar problem with that solenoid. Wally G
A month or so ago I had to replace the PC Board. I called RV Custom Products to order one. I was told (as least in my case, 99 Dolphin) that I could only order the entire unit (Board, chassis battery solenoid and the battery disconnect and associated hardware/mounting unit ($325.00). I was told just to keep track of the wires and locations. As I disassembled I just drew a schematic as I went.

The entire process took about 1 1/2 hrs as I took my time. I had to remove the PB Board to disconnect all the connections, it was not difficult at all. If I had to change out a solenoid, I wouldn't even attempt to without removing the board.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #14

In our BCC, house and chassis disconnect solenoids as well as the Isolator solenoid is located behind the circuit board. Had to replace our isolator solenoid twice in 11 years.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote