Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
120VAC to 12VDC converter issues

Well, my battery issues have returned again. After being plugged into shore power for a week, the engine would not crank over even with the coach battery "boost" enabled.

I suspect my coach batteries (2 each 6 Volt GC2) are at an end of their life and probably will need to be replaced. Their untimely demise may have been quickened by the poor battery charging/maintaining system I have.

Before investing in new coach batteries, I'd like to upgrade the 12V converter in the rig to one that has a better charging/maintaining system. One line of converter products that look good are the Progressive Dynamics PD92XXCV products with the built-in Charge Wizard circuitry. (the "XX" part of the model number denotes the DC current output....e.g. 45 Amps, 60 Amps, etc.)

Now the questions.........

1) My existing converter is located in the basement bay directly in front of the coach door. It is a nondescript brown box, slightly larger than a loaf of bread. There are no labels or manufacturer info that can be seen. Any ideas on the manufacturer and current output??? 45 Amp?? 60 Amp???

2) The output of the converter goes to a 50 Amp breaker on the 12 Volt distribution board. If I upgrade to the Progressive Dynamics unit, will the Charge Wizard's charging profiles "pass thru" the existing distribution board, or do I need to re-wire the converter to my batteries??

3) Since the converter is fed off a 120 Volt circuit, it should charge the batteries whether on shore power or generator power. Right??

4) The above questions were regarding the coach batteries. But how about my chassis battery? Will the 12V distribution board or the converter charge the chassis battery AS WELL as my coach batteries???

Thanks for all your help.
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #2

Your coach may never have been wired up to charge the chassis batteries; lots aren't ; BUT in the case of the coach batteries being in poor shape my have effected the situation.
On my unit the chassis batteries will charge automatically ; only when the coach batteries are fully charged.
Can you post a picture of you current set up ? Could be someone will recognise it.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is the converter and the 12V distribution board on my rig. Can anyone identify the converter brand and current rating? Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	40226
2013 Fiat 500C Toad
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The issue of the chassis battery charging has been discussed on the Nationl RV forum. Your 12 volt distribution board does control the charging of the coach and chassis batteries. The cause of the chassis battery not charging when connected to shore power is either a bad relay or a problem with the control board. Do a search on the forum for a post I made about charging problems. If you can't find it let me know.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In your post on 4/13/13 asking for help with battery charging http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/help...ng-157667.html there was a discussion about the 12 volt control board and charging the coach and chassis batteries. Have you called RV Custom Products and talked to them about the problem. If you give them the board version number they can tell if your is set up for bi-directional charging. I can't help with identifying your converter, I have a Progressive dynamics converter on my MH.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Here is the converter and the 12V distribution board on my rig. Can anyone identify the converter brand and current rating? Attachment 40226
Looks like the one I replaced by just wiring it wire for wire and a piece of cake. The new one weighs nothing by comparison and does the job 100% better.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter