RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
12volt distribution panel

I have a 2001 31 foot Sea breeze. I have been starting the engine and letting it run for about 15-20 minutes every 2 weeks while in hibernation for the winter. This past weekend I got nothing at all! The dash didnt do squat! The coach batteries and all coach systems are working just fine but the engine does nothing. I pulled both chassis batteries and had them tested and was told they are fine. I checked the J1 chassis battery relay on the 12 volt distribution panel located above the chassis batteries and found a 5amp fuze blown and when I replaced it it just blew that fuze. Does anyone have an idea as to what it may be and if I have to replace the circuit board do you know the cost. My engine is a Ford V10 with the banks power factory installed. If it matters my gen set works just fine also. I am at a loss as to what to do. I live in a small town with no RV service avaliable and Hope i can find someone out there who can help. Thank you for any advise you can give.

Beakerll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think you need to figure out what the blowing fuse circuit is controlling. The chassis system has it's own fuse panel, located on the fire wall or under the dashboard.

Also, I sort of cringe hearing that you run the engine "for 15-20 minutes." A gasoline engine can only be harmed by that behavior. If it's just idling, it's not really getting to temperatures high enough to drive moisture out of the oil pan and exhaust system. Gas can run down the cylinder walls and accumulate in the oil. If you can't run it on the highway to really exercise and bring to operating temps the engine and transmission I think you're doing more harm than good. You could put some fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and let it sit and it would be better than idling for a period of time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like your chassis battery is dead.
The first page of the attached file shows what each fuse is for. I don't think the other pages apply to your coach. I have the troubleshooting guide for the RV Customs 12V distribution board. If you want them send me a PM with you email or you can contact RV Custom Products direct and they will email them to you.

RV Custom Products
14000 Anson Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 921-8353

As Bob said, not a good idea to start and run engine for a short time. Causes condensation to build up in the oil and is not long enough to recharge the chassis battery. If your going to start the engine best to take it for a drive to warm everything up.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf National 12v,120v power system all models.pdf (563.8 KB, 90 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My rig has several 5 amp fuses.. Can you tell us more about this fuse,, What does the fuse diagram say about it?
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would be worried that mice got in and chewed up some wiring somewhere and that caused the fuse to blow.

I appreciate the advice that Bob gave. I have been doing the same thing. (Starting my engine for a short amount of time) I'll stop that practice right now!
Gerryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Sorry it has taken so long to respond. Thank you so much for the link to the electrical diagram. It really worked. The 5amp fuze is for the step switch of which isnt working right anyway and I didnt relate the 2 together. Do you know were the switch is? Thank you for all your help. Double thanks on me running my engine for short periods of time>I have stopped and will put gas treatment. Do you recommend one?
Old 03-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Thank you for that great advice. Do you have any recommendation for an additive?
Old 03-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Its says it relates to the step switch. LOL now I have to fine it! I have been having problems with the step not coming out when the door is open but didn't relate the two together. Thank you for all the help.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually the step is controlled 3 ways. A switch labeled near the door, the ignition switch, and a magnet on the hinge side of the door that triggers a reed switch when the door is opened or closed. The door switch sounds like the likely issue, check that the magnet is in place and triggering the reed switch. According to your step system, the magnet may close or open the switch, look for a manual on line for your step make and model to get a troubleshooting guide and manual.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
I forgot, Sta-Bil is a great additive for storage, it prevents the fuel from going bad. Seafoam is a good brand for an additive that helps keep things clean and flowing.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The magnetic switch on mine is at the bottom edge of the door and frame. There is a control box under the entry by the step motor. Check all the connections under the door for corrosion or poor connection. Could be a bad or dirty ground. Sometimes oiling the step pivot points will help also. Be careful working on the step, if it operates with your hands in there, could do a lot of damage.
BTW, I got your PM about the troubleshooting guides, will send them when I get on my laptop. Tried to send them using my tablet but Yahoo was acting strange.

Bob good information while I was trying.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
Old 03-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Thank you for diagram. Sorry it has taken so long to respond. Life has been difficult for a bit. I found the problem with the step. I went out and looked at the switch and found a small piece of metal stuck to it. When I scraped it off, I was able to install a new fuze which didn't blow and now the RV starts and the steps work just great. Thank all of you for the great advice and helpful tips on not idling the engine when in storage.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the update. Many don't come back and tell what corrected the problem.

Tags
panel