Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

1997 Dolphin 355

Oh boy. The basement door opening into the LP gas tank has, as do all the other compartment doors, a handle that has a button to push in and then the handle pops out so you can turn it to unlock the door. Pushing the button does nothing. I have sprayed it with WD40 but no dice. Fortunately, this bay is open on the bottom so I can crawl under and remove the door catch and get the door open. That's going to get pretty old though so-any advice on how to fix it ? The latches are riveted onto the door and there is a panel on the inside that covers the latch mechanism so you can't get at it to drill it out for a replacement. The ones on the LP gas door are the only ones without a key lock.

Also, anybody know where the water pump is ? I haven't found it yet.

Thanks D. Sdcott
dscotty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

The ; no lock on the propane door is a safety/emergency access requirement , so repairing the door would be a good idea.
Can you find a replacement handle?

Can you have the pump running and track it down by the sound?
Or won't it run ?
Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know exactly where my water pump is, either! I have always assumed it is behind the metal covering where all the water inputs and valves are mounted. When it runs, that's where the sound comes from. Some of my lock buttons have stuck also....they have always yealded to cleaning and flushing with solvent. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

Can't help on LP door but have same year/model, water pump and tank are under main bed in rear
crazeecanuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Just a couple of suggestions on the lock.
Keep trying the WD-40 and repeatedly tapping on the button (hard but not destructive). I had one that was stuck and after a few days of trying several times ad day it finally opened. Then I could take it off and clean it good.

Also If you have to try and cut it off it is possible. I assume it is this style.
Amazon.com: TriMark Clockwise Pop-Up Locking T-Handle (TM13946-01BLKRK): Automotive

You could use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut of each side of the handle. Then you can get to the screws or rivets to remove or drill them out.

good luck
mike
mike9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know if you can get to the shaft on the inside, should be able to if you can remove latch on the inside. Anyway, on the shaft there is a push on retainer or snap ring on the inside of the door. If you can remove the retainer the handle will pull out. Look on the inside of your other doors to see what I'm talking about. Here's the manufacturers web site.
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/zPlatf...&categoryid=87

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeecanuc View Post
Can't help on LP door but have same year/model, water pump and tank are under main bed in rear
YUP!

I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are awesome!
beepaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Am wondering if the button is the problem or is the handle part stuck in the recess? Have you tried gently prying on the handle while pushing the button?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #9

If the door swings upward so the locks are flat try opening the door then soaking the latch with wd40 or other solvent and tap it lightly with a hammer if the handle pops out you may need to pry gently on the handle to loosen it. Once loosened some antiseeze should keep it from rusting again.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin