Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #1

1997 National Seabreeze Model 129 40,xxx Miles

We love our family Seabreeze I do not regret buying our self contained vacation home on wheels with its huge storage and super sturdy chassis she had a few hundred thousand more miles left in her. Nationals are built to last and run strong.

I spent 7k on changing and freshening all her oils, grease, fluids, freon, repacked gears hubs, new rotors, flushed brakes and lines, flushed power steering, new tires, gas tank dropped new hoses and lines, Generac generator refresh new fuel filter and carb, all interior systems check, new fresh water pump, new water lines, carbon dioxide sensor, interior detail.

But in went over budget by 3k and my wife wants me to sell. She knows I am incapable of fixing anything myself and is panicked about cost of storage, gas, maintenance and any future problems. I tried to explain the 7k I spent on checking every all chassis and interior is to prevent problems by replacing all the fail areas. This did not appease her even though it was done at professionally at Winkle GMC Commercial Truck Service in Reno.

Cosmetically she could use new seat coverings on the couch nothing is is ripped but isn't new. The Seabreeze stickers are faded and cracked the carpet has been used. But the appliances, AC, Heater, Stove, chassis and motor only have 40k miles of cross country about 12 times in as many years.

I'm in $14K and just want my money back so my wife stops looking at me like I'm eating too much. Wrong time in my life to have the extra costs but the right time for having lots of time on my hands.

Someone talk me into keeping her I don't want to sell after knowing how much quality maintenance went into getting this big lady back on the road! I love knowing we have another house packed and ready to roll.

Should I sell? We hardly travel so I can't justify keeping this great RV based on dreaming about getting lost by a cool high desert lake or running river, talk to God, laugh with family and make s'mores....

Does anyone have any idea what I can sell my National for could I get 14k? I have paperwork on all maintenance and work with 1 year warranty on work done.
dapappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear your DW is not being supportive of your purchase. IMHO you are well underwater with this coach and you spent an awful lot on maint. right out of the box. I do not think you will get very near 14k for for a 16 yr old gasser. Considering you have already spent the money and all systems work fine, I would put the RV to some use. You live near many wonderful/scenic places and could camp on weekends if time and money don't allow longer trips at this point. We try to camp at least once a month just to get away for a weekend and stay within a tank of gas from home to keep costs down. If you still can't convince the DW to keep the rig, put it up for sale, at 14k, and then use it until it sells. Considering the market for used RV's right now, you will get to play with it for some time before your forced to lower the price and sell. An RV is a home on wheels that goes through a massive earthquake every time it is driven. If you have zero mechanical skills then you better have deep pockets. It doesn't matter how old the coach is, there will always be issues that come up. If you can't take care of the little things yourself, then RVing may not be right for you.
I don't envy your situation and I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, I'm just trying to call it as I see it.
Good luck my friend...
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't seen it, but I don't think you're that underwater, especially if you've got a list of everything being done and having it ready to travel. I would, however, replace the seat covers and do your cosmetic work so potential buyers DW's wont balk when they see it...

Two other things:
1) Use it. Find some place your DW would like and go.. It might change her mind.
2) Learn to fix things yourself. Changing the generator oil isn't a big deal.. find a buddy with some mechanical inclination or something to show you the ropes. Lots of retire'd RVer's that have time to help... I agree that it'll cost a fortune you can't keep after it yourself.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my '99 Dolphin 3 years ago for 20k and was very happy with that price. It had 40K on it, newer tires and batteries. Everything worked fine and was in decent shape. I've spent 5k since but most of that was in the interior. New seats and couch, floor, reupholstered dinette and window treatments, the whole thing really. I do everything myself including mechanical and all RV systems, which saved me a ton. I detailed the exterior myself and used Zep HTFF, it shines like new and only cost $16.00.

All that said, I would expect to get 20k for it today as it looks so well in and out. That money you spend on that PM work is commendable but, not something I would have done unless needed or I planned on keeping it a very long time. I plan on keeping mine forever at this point, but no need yet to do what you had done. However, if it shows well, you should break even or close.

These things are money pits and just their operation is costly, I see gas here today hit $4.15. Maintenance is not bad if you can do it yourself, same as repair, but an RV Shop or mechanic is going to be VERY costly. I have room at home so storage is zero expense.

It boils down to if you can afford the costs of keeping it and if those costs are worth the use you are going to get out of it. Also keep in mind, the value of that rig is never going to go up, only down.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NADA says average retail is $15,770. I would guess that with the mileage and what you have put into it, you should be able to break even.
I strongly suggest you take some of the other suggestions, and try to get the wife to fall in love with camping. Worked for me.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.