RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #1

Greetings All,
I am new to your forum and this is my first post. My wife and I are also new to RVing. We haven't bought a motorhome yet, but we're looking. It's a bit overwhelming actually, but it's all in the name of fun and adventure.
Anyway, we are considering purchasing a 1998 Sea View M-8331 with 30,000 miles on it. It is powered by the Ford V10 engine. We are scheduled to inspect and test drive the coach tomorrow. Do any of you have any thoughts or insights on this model? Are there any problems or weaknesses we should be aware of? The CCC seems to be a little low, what do you think? Also, we have looked at a few National RV products in the 1997-2001 range and they all seem to have water stains on the ceiling in the front cab area. How common it this problem and how serious is it? Is this a good starter motorhome?
Thank you for your words of wisdom. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Many safe miles,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Warren&Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 AM   #2

Greetings All,
I am new to your forum and this is my first post. My wife and I are also new to RVing. We haven't bought a motorhome yet, but we're looking. It's a bit overwhelming actually, but it's all in the name of fun and adventure.
Anyway, we are considering purchasing a 1998 Sea View M-8331 with 30,000 miles on it. It is powered by the Ford V10 engine. We are scheduled to inspect and test drive the coach tomorrow. Do any of you have any thoughts or insights on this model? Are there any problems or weaknesses we should be aware of? The CCC seems to be a little low, what do you think? Also, we have looked at a few National RV products in the 1997-2001 range and they all seem to have water stains on the ceiling in the front cab area. How common it this problem and how serious is it? Is this a good starter motorhome?
Thank you for your words of wisdom. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Many safe miles,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Warren. Julia and I have a 05 Dolphin 5376 and are very happy with our purchase. NRV made some great products but great as they were, they still must be maintained. That would be you and I and everyone else that owns a RV. Those stains quite possibly are coming from the joint where the front cap and roof come together. Our 05 is due for some weather seal work now and can imagine that if yours was never looked after, those leaks are mostly coming from there. It's not hard to get up on the roof and walk about a bit to see what's going on. I don't know much about the ford chassis but transmissions in early ford chassis were a concern. It would be great for the PO to have offered up the maintenance receipts. That will tell you a lot about what you are considering to buy. You'd also be will served to do a little research here on irv2. Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your purchase and what attracted you to that particular model.
I'll add: Used is a good way to start but it'll help to be handy with tools. Without warranties and the like a good deal can go south with a few repairs. With the economy in the toilet for most, dealers are offering up some great deals on new units. Low interest rates and warranties can look pretty attractive if you'd rather enjoy your new hobby rather than work on it. Just my .02 cents. It's hard to figure out what is a good starter MH without knowing what your circumstances are in regard to things we'd most likely not want to know about, (meaning $$$ cabability).
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Warren,
The only weak link that I know of is that the front and rear bumpers are made from a product called CENTREX it is plastic. All the trim and compartment doors below the flor line are the same material, and have been cracking. Subject parts were made by National RV in house. . I hade an 01 SurfSide that had problems as stated above. Try this link http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=cracked+cargo+doors
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #5

Hi Rick,
Thank you for your thoughts. I realize buying an older coach will probably require some repairs now and then but if I get a "good used" unit hopefully the repairs will be minimal. Of course there will always be maintenance issues that need to be addressed.
I'm considering this unit because National RV products seem to have a good reputation for quality with some nice features too.
I'm finding that selecting a used motorhome is not an easy precess. There are several variables that have to come together to satisfy the formula. Some of the variables include quality, size, floor plan, age, chassis, engine, condition and price, just to name a few. Some of the variables are more important than others. Some are esential some are not. Some are easy to quantify and some are not. It's enough to drive a person crazy. They haven't put me in the padded room yet, but there is still time.

Also, thank you for the info and link Richard S. I have seen some coaches with the cracking you mention. It's definitely not a good sign and it appears to be fairly common. It also looks like repair options are limited.

Thanks again for your thoughts Rick & Richard S.,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 1998 Sea View 8330. Drove it for 7 years. We had an electrical problem on delivery, but after that was fixed it was a very dependable rig. One bay door did crack just before we traded.

Glenn
Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a 2001 Sea View 31' with 74,500 trouble free miles. The 98 had the 275hp engine went to 310 in 2001. Had small leak in roof seal at cap. Put Eternabond on all roof seals (caps and sides) no more problems. Could also have leaks at clearance lights on caps.
Some have had good luck with oxyclean for ceiling stains.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #8

Greetings,
Thank you all for taking time to share your thoughts with us. Your experience and knowledge are greatly appreciated.
Tuesday Renee and I took a look at the 1998 Sea View we are interested in. The interior looks great and no signs of damage on the outside. There was one small plastic crack in one of the cargo doors but the rest of the plastic looked good. It has been stored outside so the decals are starting to show their age.
Saturday we plan to go back and take another look. This time we will do a test drive and do a thorough inside/outside inspection of the coach. Too include engine & chassis, all house systems, appliances etc... This unit has no signs or evidence of roof leakage.
Anyway, if everything checks out OK we plan to buy it. This will be our first and this will be when the learning really starts.

Thanks again,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-10-2008, 06:40 PM   #9

just picked up our 1999 sea breeze 31 yesterday. drove it from newport to lax in traffic.it was very easy to drive with lots of power ride was good but i think those new koni fsd shocks will replace my bilsteins down the road. national made a great product and ours looks great for its age. our first class a and we are trilled to get into one without spending a large investment. cant wait to make a trip and use all the goodies like generator ducked heat and air real shower and a living room what a change from our camper.
fish doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #10

Our first motorhome was a '98 Seabreeze. Drove it seven years, and turned it in on a 2005 Seabreeze. Have been very happy with both.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #11

Greetings All,
Wow!! I don't believe it. I just got a call from the guy that owns the Sea View Renee and I were going to inspect/test drive Saturday; to let me know he has changed his mind about selling his motorhome. Evidently his wife is having second thoughts about selling it. I had already agreed to pay his asking price if everything checked out on Saturday's inspection/test drive.
This is now the second time I have had the seller change their mind about selling a motorhome we are interested in.
How common is this? Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks,
Warren

1998 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Warren, I believe you may be victim of the market. People are pulling back and deciding they are better off where they are.

Yes NRV front caps were a problem that I know was partially corrected on our '05. Our friends '06 Sea Breeze had better coverage as Eternabond tape was applied to the cap seams. While it is known problem, it's easy to correct with either Eternabond tape or resealing the cap seams. I don't want to sour you on NRV products, however our '01 & '03 Doplhins had to have the front caps resealed.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Very strange indeed for the seller to back out...usually the other way around...you're still a winner in this game as there are thousands to choose from at very low prices right now. I finally got rid of my old Pace and ended up with a boat trade, which I'm happy with.
The 98 Ford was the last year for the 460 V8 and I would probably go with that, rather than the 99 first year V10, so until about the 2000 model year, I'd definetely go with Workhorse ...after that, it's up for grabs, but, I'd rather have a chevy or workhorse anyway, but that's just me and opinions will vary widely.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote