Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

1999 Dolphin 5350 Purchase Help

I will be new to the motorhome scene if I purchase this, so could use some advice. I feel pretty comfortable checking out equipment as I've trailered before and I've printed the checklists. Generator check out advice would make me feel more comfortable, though. Am going to have the chassis and drive train checked by a truck repair place. This would include pulling the tires and checking the brakes. The front tires are about 3 years old and look good, but the rears, including tag axle, are original. In general how much can I expect to pay for new rears? Thanks in advance.
rick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
bkb

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having had 2 Class A & 1 Class C RV with 4 blow-outs I'm telling you not to chance any tire over 6 years old regardless of what it looks like. Luckily the blow-outs were all on the tandem tires so no accident, but, one of them tore up the fender and outside shower line. Before we left on Aug 2nd we bought all new tires, 6 of them, top of the line for $3,200. Other tire we have purchased range from $200 to $414 each. Hope this helps
bkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:29 PM   #3

listen to the man... we got 5+ years out of ours. The outsides looked great, checked the insides and they were cracked these high pressure tires do not last that long, just sitting kills them...
HobieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Which chassis does it have? Ford or Chevy/Workhorse?
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick24 View Post
I will be new to the motorhome scene if I purchase this, so could use some advice. I feel pretty comfortable checking out equipment as I've trailered before and I've printed the checklists. Generator check out advice would make me feel more comfortable, though. Am going to have the chassis and drive train checked by a truck repair place. This would include pulling the tires and checking the brakes. The front tires are about 3 years old and look good, but the rears, including tag axle, are original. In general how much can I expect to pay for new rears? Thanks in advance.
Paid less than $200 each incl mounting and balancing after ordering Hercules brand direct from Amazon. Still on the road for the summer and have been in extreme heat and climbing all over the Rockies as well. Over 6K miles so far and all is well. I've quit paying for brand names and my advice to avoid blowouts is to keep them pumped up properly according to axle weight, with a 10-15psi cushion and don't be hitting any curbs and road hazards of any sort. Ten years is max for RV tires, no matter if they do pass a professional inspection.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Chassis is Ford F53. Seems just like chboone original without all the enhancements.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The front and rear brakes are easy to check, both axles have disc brakes. The tag axle has drum brakes, the manufacturer of the tag brake system is no longer. Normally the tag brakes are neglected and the master cylinder fluid level not checked because it is difficult to get to. If the tag brakes still work that's good, if they are not they can be repaired. There is a post here that details rebuild and parts neeeded. As for the generator checks, test run it under load with both A/C's on for at least 30 minutes. If it can handle that it should be ok. The only thing else to do to the generator if it has not been done is change the oil and filter, replace the air filter. Generac discontinued the RV generator line last year. I spoke to them about all the generators in use, they said they will support what's out there for years to come, what ever that means. There will be a number of things that will need to be done to a 14 year old coach, not all at once, just know down the road there will be some maintenance that will need to be done. However, it is the same if you pay $20, 000 or $200, 000 for a used coach. All the items we added to our Dolphin was because we wanted to not because we had to. I am able to do the work myself, if you or someone you know can also you will save a lot of money. We love our Dolphin and plan to keep it as long as we can. If you do get the coach, you may want to join the National RV group on Yahoo, some of the members are former employees of National.
NationalRV : National_RV

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #8

Thank you Chuck. Very helpful info. We've just started to negotiate price, so here's hoping...
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
my tag axle on 97 dolphin is a Dexter but I have a chev frame. Pray for me I have the chev p30 frame
grmpagoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
don't be hitting any curbs and road hazards of any sort.
And therein lies the problem! Sometimes it's impossible not to run over something. But the damage may take seconds, minutes, hours, months or even years before the tire gives out. Which is why I'm always skeptical of some of the tire blowout rants I see on forums.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmpagoofy View Post
my tag axle on 97 dolphin is a Dexter but I have a chev frame. Pray for me I have the chev p30 frame
If your is the same as mine the axle and brakes was supplied by Dexter, the brakes booster and synchronizing valve by Master Brake Inc. Master Brake is no longer in business. The tag frame and rubber springs by Mor/Ryde. Mor/Ryde supplied the complete assembly to the Motor Home Manufacturer to increase the capacity of an underrated chassis.

Chuck

Tags
dolphin, purchase