Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

1999 National SeaView LED Headlights

I have the Ford Chassis

Anyone upgrade there headlights?

Can anyone help be find some LED or upgraded replacements?

I don't even know how to figure out what head lights are in my motorhome so I don't know how to find replacements.

I do a lot of night driving on long desert roads with no street lights.
Honey_Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #2

HH,
What type of headlight does your Ford chassis use? Sealed beams or bulbs in aerodynamic housings? Please advise and I might be able to help.
Steve
T-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unhappy Me too, me too!

I can't speak for Honey_Hole, but my '98 F53 Sea Breeze has the bulb & plastic lens arrangement, and they are really weak. I too am looking to improve my night driving visibility, so any suggestions and experiences doing this would be greatly appreciated!

---Jim

Previous Rig: 1972 Rectrans Discoverer 25 (Dodge M300/413 CID)
surgesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The lights they used on then back then were from an 1985 to 2005 Chev Astrovan. And maybe you can find some brighter bulbs for them. The standard ones were only about 2 candlepower.
There was a post on this back in about May 2015. Found it

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/2000...ts-248126.html

Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #5

HH,
It sounds like you probably have those Astro headlights (thanks Gerryl) using 9006 bulbs. I'd first make sure your lenses are good and clean and polished (and clear). New lamp housings are pretty cheap so that's an option.

Then try good quality bulbs such as Sylvania Xtravision. I don't recommend any of those "blue" or "silver" bulbs.

Be careful about LED or HID upgrades. Some can be bright, but most are not legal and may have too much glare. Good luck.

Steve
T-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can also check and make sure your bulbs are getting a full 12 volts if not there are ways to rewire with relays so you get 12 volts and more for the headlights.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #7

X2 for relays. Before buying headlights claimed to be brighter, be sure there is adequate voltage to the lights.

Many motorhome manufacturers route the headlight wires all over the place so there is significant voltage drop at the headlights. I just installed a headlight relay kit on our 1999 Safari Trek (with original 1999 headlights). This uses relays to provide engine battery voltage directly to the headlights and the difference in brightness was really significant. I bought a kit designed for Chevy pickups so had to splice additional wire to reach the headlights, but it wasn't a big deal. Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com

Here's a good article on headlight relays: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
You can also check and make sure your bulbs are getting a full 12 volts if not there are ways to rewire with relays so you get 12 volts and more for the headlights.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
The lights they used on then back then were from an 1985 to 2005 Chev Astrovan. And maybe you can find some brighter bulbs for them. The standard ones were only about 2 candlepower.
There was a post on this back in about May 2015. Found it

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/2000...ts-248126.html

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Steve View Post
HH,
It sounds like you probably have those Astro headlights (thanks Gerryl) using 9006 bulbs. I'd first make sure your lenses are good and clean and polished (and clear). New lamp housings are pretty cheap so that's an option.

Then try good quality bulbs such as Sylvania Xtravision. I don't recommend any of those "blue" or "silver" bulbs.

Be careful about LED or HID upgrades. Some can be bright, but most are not legal and may have too much glare. Good luck.

Steve
I do not have the Astro van headlights mine look slightly different. I Only have on lens too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
X2 for relays. Before buying headlights claimed to be brighter, be sure there is adequate voltage to the lights.

Many motorhome manufacturers route the headlight wires all over the place so there is significant voltage drop at the headlights. I just installed a headlight relay kit on our 1999 Safari Trek (with original 1999 headlights). This uses relays to provide engine battery voltage directly to the headlights and the difference in brightness was really significant. I bought a kit designed for Chevy pickups so had to splice additional wire to reach the headlights, but it wasn't a big deal. Truck Parts & Truck Accessories for Chevy, GMC, Ford & Dodge Trucks | LMCTruck.com

Here's a good article on headlight relays: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I am going to check this first. If I have 12v where should I got from there.

I had a friend suggest this website

https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/D...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 10-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey_Hole View Post
I am going to check this first. If I have 12v where should I got from there.
It's an F53. You have low voltage at the lights. As wired by Ford you lose about 2 volts from the system voltage to the headlights. Any added inadequate wiring can only make it even worse. Your existing headlights, and any swap you might do, will benefit from better wiring. It's a great starting point. (After aiming of course.)

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
It's an F53. You have low voltage at the lights. As wired by Ford you lose about 2 volts from the system voltage to the headlights. Any added inadequate wiring can only make it even worse. Your existing headlights, and any swap you might do, will benefit from better wiring. It's a great starting point. (After aiming of course.)
Will report back this week
Old 11-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Steve View Post
HH,
What type of headlight does your Ford chassis use? Sealed beams or bulbs in aerodynamic housings? Please advise and I might be able to help.
Steve
Hey T-Steve! I would really appreciate your advise! I have a 2000 Tropical with squared sealed beams. I barely see at night! I'm considering buying this long led auxiliary lamps to help me a little. I do remember, back in the day, Sylvania sealed beams and bulbs were really the best option. What's your advise?

Thanks!
Figaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have a 2001 Sea View and have been replacing headlights since I bought the motorhome and they are still dim to me.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light, lights, national