Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #1

1999 Tropical Disconnect

Hello, I am new to this forum and hope someone may be able to assist. I have acquired a 1999 National Tropical 3650 and have an issue with the battery disconnect switch. The coach batteries have and hold charge however the switch will not connect my 12volt draws. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My ceiling lights will not work, the slide will not energize etc.
Florida Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming you have a DVM or VOM and know how to use it, looking at the diagram attached, open file, (right click, rotate 90 degrees), the Battery Disconnect Relay switches 12VDC between JP3 and JP2. Check for 12VDC on JP3, if good, operate disconnect sw and see if you have 12VDC on JP2, if no, then the relay is not functioning. Could be a bad relay (on back side of board) or not getting energizing voltage from switch/relay at the disconnect panel. Verifying test, connect a short from JP3 to JP2, coach draws should work. On my coach, 12VDC Distribution Board is located last rear bay, passenger side. Rook

12v,120v power system all models.pdf

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Thanks, I believe it may be the switch itself. I have it removed and am trying to locate another. The reason being is the light above will not activate at all yet I get power to my steps and step light. No interior lights, no slide room control it is in the same panel as the disconnect switch.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same problem with my switch. If I play with it, it will finally engage the disconnect. I pulled the switch out and got the P/N 150611E and manufacturers name Eaton. Searched on line found some suppliers but most would not sell just one. Found the switch at Newark Element 14 $3.69 each with $12.50 for shipping. Trying find it or a subitute local.

1506-11E - EATON - Rocker Switch, Non Illuminated, SPDT, (On)-Off-(On), Black, Panel, 15 A | Newark element14
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #5

Thank you. I got the wiring diagram from another member and some pointers. This seems to be a common issue. I will try to find one local but they are like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I appreciate the link.
Scott
Old 11-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

My 12VDC Distribution Board is located in the Bay next to the entry step. Batteries are holding charge and converter sounds like it is working. I will replace switch first then work back from there.

Scott
Old 11-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Assuming you have a DVM or VOM and know how to use it, looking at the diagram attached, open file, (right click, rotate 90 degrees), the Battery Disconnect Relay switches 12VDC between JP3 and JP2. Check for 12VDC on JP3, if good, operate disconnect sw and see if you have 12VDC on JP2, if no, then the relay is not functioning. Could be a bad relay (on back side of board) or not getting energizing voltage from switch/relay at the disconnect panel. Verifying test, connect a short from JP3 to JP2, coach draws should work. On my coach, 12VDC Distribution Board is located last rear bay, passenger side. Rook

Attachment 144711
Rook, I replaced the switch and had no change. I took a wire and shorted jp2 and jp3. Interior 12V draws activated. I had ceiling lights etc. does this point toward the relay being faulty?

Scott
Old 11-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Scott....It may be a bad Disconnect Relay, or maybe not! The Disconnect relay get's its 12 volt energizing signal from the panel switch that you replaced.......but, I think it is not a direct connection to that switch, I believe the panel switch energizes a smaller relay, or an electronic switch (on my coach) on the Board and that then turns on the the Disconnect Relay. If that's correct, then the smaller relay or electronic switch on the Board could be where the trouble is. You can check to see if the Disconnect Relay is getting the enerziing voltage by measuring across the two energizing terminals on the relay. Using a mirror, look under the bottom of the board, lower center right side, backside, and you will see a large black thing with two lugs with nuts connecting a grey wire and a red wire. That's the 12 volt energizing terminals. If you get the energizing volts, then the Disconnect Relay is bad. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 11-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

You're awesome!! Thank you and have a Happy Thanksgiving. I will keep you posted.

Scott
Old 11-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Scott....It may be a bad Disconnect Relay, or maybe not! The Disconnect relay get's its 12 volt energizing signal from the panel switch that you replaced.......but, I think it is not a direct connection to that switch, I believe the panel switch energizes a smaller relay, or an electronic switch (on my coach) on the Board and that then turns on the the Disconnect Relay. If that's correct, then the smaller relay or electronic switch on the Board could be where the trouble is. You can check to see if the Disconnect Relay is getting the enerziing voltage by measuring across the two energizing terminals on the relay. Using a mirror, look under the bottom of the board, lower center right side, backside, and you will see a large black thing with two lugs with nuts connecting a grey wire and a red wire. That's the 12 volt energizing terminals. If you get the energizing volts, then the Disconnect Relay is bad. Rook
Rook, I replaced the switch with no change. Relay test is next. If I jump jp2 and jp3 to pull the slide in and raise the jacks will that cause an issue for other 12 volt draws?

Scott
Old 11-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NO.....Shorting between JP3 and JP2 with a heavy gauge jumper, 10 gauge stranded copper or larger, is no threat to anything.....that's what the high current Disconnect Relay does. You could even operate that way temporarily, for a while, until you find the trouble and install a "fix". All the protective fuses are still in play. Rook

Old 11-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #12

Thank you for you insight, knowledge and assistance!! I choose to dance...
Old 12-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #13

I jumped JP3 and JP2, energized the jacks. They performed as they should. 5500 Onan Genset turned over well, started and ran for a short time then stalled. The slide motor energized but blew a 20 amp slo blo buss fuse when bringing the slide in. It took 2 fuses to bring the slide all the way in. Not sure what is drawing the extra current to cause the overload? Dometic side by side refer appears to cool, takes a bit for it to get cold. I think the day went better than I expected.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:53 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you have the engine running or shore line plugged in when operating the slide? As the battery voltage goes down the amp draw goes up. Next time run the engine or generator or shore line plugged in to keep the battery voltage up. Generator or shore line will only help if your converter/charger is working. RV refrigerators take time to get to full cooling capacity. My side X side takes about 12 hrs to be cold enough to load it with cold food.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote