Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

2000 National RV Solar Charger question

Hello.

I have a 2000 National Tradewinds. I disconnected the chassis and house batteries for the winter so as to prevent the solar panel charger from cooking the batteries - as it did last winter. Problem is I can hear a relay "clicking" at the main distribution panel. I am wondering if this is caused by the solar chargers energizing something. Is there a fuse for the solar charger I should remove?

Thanks in advance for your help.
slates is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
How about covering the solar panels with something that blocks all light? (1/4" plywood or the like)
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slates View Post
Hello.

I have a 2000 National Tradewinds. I disconnected the chassis and house batteries for the winter so as to prevent the solar panel charger from cooking the batteries - as it did last winter. Problem is I can hear a relay "clicking" at the main distribution panel. I am wondering if this is caused by the solar chargers energizing something. Is there a fuse for the solar charger I should remove?

Thanks in advance for your help.
If it's the same little panel mounted on top of the front AC, that I have, that little thing aint gona cook any battery !
Old 10-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Seems like the panels are very small and can't do much damage, but here is what you want from the documentation I got with my 1999 Tradewinds.

Hope it helps.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panel Fuse.jpg
Views:	4397
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	27562  
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Thanks Dick. That diagram was just what I needed. Actually, I have 2 large solar panels on the roof, and they cooked almost all of the water out of my house batteries.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Dick. That diagram was just what I needed. Actually, I have 2 large solar panels on the roof, and they cooked almost all of the water out of my house batteries.
I have two as well on top of the AC Units. As far as I know they both are connected to that Diode and go through the same fuse with no charging controller.

Dick
Old 10-13-2012, 04:57 AM   #7

solar battery charger

I have the same set up, one panel on each A/C. They will "cook" your batteries, boil the water right out of them. I have to add water once in a while. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade
I have the same set up, one panel on each A/C. They will "cook" your batteries, boil the water right out of them. I have to add water once in a while. Better to be safe than sorry.
Sounds like you and slates have no charge controller on your solar setup. Generally, any solar setup should have a charge controller if the panel(s) are over 30 watts. If this is a stock setup, I'm really surprised NRV didn't include one to prevent the problem you have.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #9

I will have to do some digging. Any idea where the charge controller would be located?

As for the solar chargers, there are two flat panels, each the size of the A/C units mounted on the roof. I actually like the setup, but if I leave the batteries connected this winter, there will be no water left in them.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I will have to do some digging. Any idea where the charge controller would be located?

As for the solar chargers, there are two flat panels, each the size of the A/C units mounted on the roof. I actually like the setup, but if I leave the batteries connected this winter, there will be no water left in them.
I'll assume for now these panels are factory. If so, and are anything like the ONE that came on my Dolphin, the wires go through the roof right where they are. Mine made it's way to the front AC, then joined a bundle of wires that went to the curbside wall and down into the BCC. Of course your TW is going to be different, but the solar wires will end up at the BCC. If these are factory and that powerful, I would think National had a charge controller and it has failed in a way that allowed all the current to make it through. I'm just guessing though.

Also my guess is if there is a charge controller it would be either somewhere near the BCC, or possibly where the two panel wires came together (Front or Rear AC, depending on location of your BCC.) IF the wires run along the roof and down the fridge vent, then it could be located in the outside fridge compartment or between there and the BCC.

Hopefully someone will be along with a TW that knows all this. Keep us posted.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The factory installed solar panels were only 18 watts each, all the National rv motorhomes I have seen do not have charge controlers. I had a 50 watt solar panel on a motorhome many years ago with no controler and it never was a problem. Anything greater than 50 watts should have a controler installed. 50 watt and larger panels also require larger wire than what National ran.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, solar