RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #1

2000 SeaView front TV power source ??

Well, my new HDTV flat screen is all mounted and I'm dealing with a rat's nest of wiring to clean up. And now come that famous saying .... "as long as I'm doing that, I might as well....."

......get the TV running off house batteries for boondocking. I already have most the wifi and audio/video components hooked to a 12V or 5V DC source. The TV is really the only item that still needs a 120V AC supply. I considered opening up the TV and rewiring it to bypass the built-in AC-to-DC converter, but nixed that idea. I cringe to think about adding a dedicated 120V AC inverter to the 12V DC in that cabinet, even if I could find enough DC power up there.

There currently is a 120V AC circuit that the old tube TV was hooked to. I suspect it is fed from the 120V AC distribution panel by the bathroom? If that is the case, it won't be "live" unless I'm on shore power or running the generator. I would love to get that circuit fed from the chassis DC-to-AC inverter. That way it will be "live" while on shore power, gen power or house batteries. The load on that circuit would be the TV (60W) and a couple 5V components (20W more). The chassis inverter appears to be located near the chassis 12V DC distribution panel located in the basement in front of the entry door.

Does anyone know where that 120V television circuit is fed from? Also any suggestions about how to move it to the inverter ?

thanks in advance,
Karlos

Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure I have seen this subject before. Try a search.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip, Scooter. After digging more in the searches of older posts, looks like I might already have that 120V AC TV circuit fed from the inverter. I'll get out and test it today. Wouldn't that be nice.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you sure you have a factory installed inverter?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Well, I checked out the circuits today. The over-dash 120V TV circuits are NOT fed from an inverter. As I checked out the National options list posted in the hall cabinet, I see there was never an inverter installed as a factory option. Darn!

Am back to the original plan of getting as many device running off 12V/5V DC. The two remaining offenders are my 60W TV and the Dish Network receiver. Maybe I can install the dreaded local inverter to handle these two boxes.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #6

Been checking out small inverters. Can get 200-300W inverter for about $25-30 so the parts cost is low.

If I locate the inverter in the overhead cabinet, I need to provide a 12V DC line capable of carrying 17-25A. That's a lot of current for an existing circuit.

If I locate the inverter in the basement near the 12V distribution panel, I can get a nice fat dedicated wire to the inverter. Then the problem becomes snaking a 120V AC romex up to the TV cabinet.

Thoughts????
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I installed an inverter in my Dolphin, I run plastic conduit and six 12 ga wires, 2 hot, 2 neutral, and 2 ground from the breaker panel in the bedroom to the inverter in the compartment where the electrical load center is. I first removed the wire from the load side of the breaker that feeds both TV's. I then connected the first hot (black wire) to input side of the inverter and to the load side of the breaker that feeds both TV's. The second black wire was connected to the output from the inverter and to the wire that was taken off of the breaker for the TV's. The neutral and ground were connected at the inverter and breaker panel. The inverter I installed is hard wired for the AC input and output.

Chuck Boone

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power