RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
2001 Tradewinds GFI Question

Does the GFI over the bathroon sink support the Microwave, plug under the counter in bedroom and the front TV plug?
About 2:00am this morning my front TV flashed on, then off. I checked the microwave but it had no power, the GFI above the bathroom sink had no power and could not be reset.

I have a progressive power surge protector and went outside to check it. The code was E-0, so no problem on incoming power. As it went through the two lines it showed no amp draw on either. My chassis and coach batteries were good and seemed to be charging. Is it possible that that one GFI controls the microwave, TV and a plug in the bedroom.

We packed her up and headed home a day early just in case it might be a bigger problem. Got home okay and I plugged into my 50amp here and still no difference. There is no amp draw being shown on the Surge Protector on either leg. No, it's not the Surge protector, I have two, an older one and a newer model, both are showing Code E0 and Zero amp draw. I also checked the fuse bay and no lights were on showing a blown fuse. Also checked and reset all the breakers in the wall.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 09:02 PM   #2

Did you have electric heaters running ?

Have you checked the breakers on the inverter/charger, down in the compartment.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #3

1st, fuses are for 12 volt DC. They have nothing to do with your AC problem.

Your GFI must have power to reset. Since your EMS shows no power draw I gonna assume you tripped you main breaker. Turn it off then back on. you will have a breaker labeled GFI. Turn it off then on.

The micro wave is not required to be on the GFI circuit but it does happen. See if you have a breaker labeled "Micro wave". If you do it is not on the GFI circuit.

Buy a voltmeter and learn how to use it. Youtube is your friend.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Electrical problem

Donít you just love electrical problems.
I have a second gfi under the sink. Did you look for a second one?
Try the generator to rule out the transfer switch.
Good luck.
C1v1leng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C1v1leng View Post
Donít you just love electrical problems.
I have a second gfi under the sink. Did you look for a second one?
Try the generator to rule out the transfer switch.
Good luck.
I tried the genny but didn't help, but I will try running it longer now that I'm home. Yes there is another GFI under the sink, no problem with it.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Did you have electric heaters running ?

Have you checked the breakers on the inverter/charger, down in the compartment.
Just running the two heaters that the MH came with. Checked the inverter in the side compartment and flipped both breakers off and on. Also the green charge light was on.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I have an electrical tester that beeps when there is power. On the counter tops for the GFI and the plug under the corian counter top it would beep it's head off, but there was no power coming through the plug. I have one of those plug in gages that show how much power is coming in and it shows ZERO.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I have an electrical tester that beeps when there is power. On the counter tops for the GFI and the plug under the corian counter top it would beep it's head off, but there was no power coming through the plug. I have one of those plug in gages that show how much power is coming in and it shows ZERO.
you said You have power because the tester beeps. You said no power was going thru. Did you reset it???
Old 01-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
you said You have power because the tester beeps. You said no power was going thru. Did you reset it???
Tried several times, but no click, no green light and no power coming out of GFI. I'll try the cheap way today and replace the GFI.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #10

GFI

Quote:
Does the GFI over the bathroon sink support the Microwave, plug under the counter in bedroom and the front TV plug?
About 2:00am this morning my front TV flashed on, then off. I checked the microwave but it had no power, the GFI above the bathroom sink had no power and could not be reset.

I have a progressive power surge protector and went outside to check it. The code was E-0, so no problem on incoming power. As it went through the two lines it showed no amp draw on either. My chassis and coach batteries were good and seemed to be charging. Is it possible that that one GFI controls the microwave, TV and a plug in the bedroom.

We packed her up and headed home a day early just in case it might be a bigger problem. Got home okay and I plugged into my 50amp here and still no difference. There is no amp draw being shown on the Surge Protector on either leg. No, it's not the Surge protector, I have two, an older one and a newer model, both are showing Code E0 and Zero amp draw. I also checked the fuse bay and no lights were on showing a blown fuse. Also checked and reset all the breakers in the wall.
Did you reset your breaker as Cavie mention, I have a 98 Tradewind and this is what I do to correct mine.
Alphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I reset all the breakers in the panel by the bedroom. I also reset the 2 breakers on the Freedom Inverter. Am I missing one somewhere else??
Old 01-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I installed the new GFI today and still couldn't reset it or get any power to it, the plug under the dining booth, the bedroom plug, the microwave or the TV. I pulled the cover off the Transfer Switch and found no burnt wires.

Whats odd is that all the electrical on the drivers side is dead and the TV is also dead. The microwave on the opposite side isn't working either. All the plugs on the other side are working with the exception of the microwave.

It doesn't matter if I'm on shore power or generator.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Tried several times, but no click, no green light and no power coming out of GFI. I'll try the cheap way today and replace the GFI.
When you installed the new GFI did you keep the power in black and white together and the power out black and white together? Did you put the power in wires on the correct screws on the GFI outlet?

A breaker is tripped or the circuit is broken. You must have power to reset a GFI. forcefully turn off all circuit breakers and turn back on.
Old 01-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
When you installed the new GFI did you keep the power in black and white together and the power out black and white together? Did you put the power in wires on the correct screws on the GFI outlet?

A breaker is tripped or the circuit is broken. You must have power to reset a GFI. forcefully turn off all circuit breakers and turn back on.
I tried that yesterday, but not forcefully. Will try that tomorrow.

Would be nice if someone could direct be to an electrical chart for a 2001 National Tradewinds model 7390. Don't know how to spell scamatic (lol)

Tags
wind