Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #1

2001 Tradewinds "Wander"

Our new to us 01 Tradewinds seems to me to wander on the highway...kind of "floats" .... I've found it is somewhat streeful & tiring.... The front end is tight, tires are new & properly inflated (weight, etc.)... I'm considering a steering stabilizer... Anybody got any thoughts / experience??????
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's called air suspension and it will feel as if you are floating. You'll learn,in time,how to adjust to it. Besides you are supposed to be aware when you are driving your rig down the road as it's not the same as driving your compact car.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I had a Steer Safe system installed on our Tradewinds in Jan at the Quartzsite Show, 415.00 installed. It improved my wandering in the wind and when 18 wheelers pass me. It is also supposed to allow me to maintain control in the event of a front tire failure. I got to test it the day after it was installed as I headed to Southern Calif and hit the dreaded Santa Ana winds. It does what it is supposed to do, I had total control in the winds with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a cup of coffee. Pretty simple system.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This does not sound right to me. I drive a gasser that I spent some time with to get it handling right. Now I can drive on a straight road and take my hands off the wheel (just barely) and it will track straight for 10 seconds or so. I would think a DP should be able to do the same thing.

Are there any good truck alignment shops in your area? An incorrect toe setting and or negative camber can cause a steering wander issue. I would start here because there is no telling what is needed until the alignment is properly checked out.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
John is right on the alignment. Have that checked first if you haven't done it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #6

We have no problem with their 39 foot tradewinds floating, and we are on the Freightliner chassis. Although, we have a friend that has a 37 foot 2000 tradewinds/Freightliner chassis that had a problem with trucks and wind. He put on steer safer which corrected his problem. He has driven about 1500 miles after the installation and loves them. – – – Happy Trails
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While you're at it you might check your axle weights. Sometimes the road you are on will cause wandering if the road is badly rutted from truck tires. Your tires will try to "climb" out of the ruts.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
My 2000 Tradewinds was very hard to handle in crosswinds. I fixed this by making sure my front tire pressures were correct for the axle weight. If the pressures are too high the handling will not be good. I also had a steering stabilizer installed. The steering stabilizer eliminated the problem. I have no problems in crosswinds, big rigs passing, or badly rutted roads.