Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #1

2003 Islander

We are down to two... a 2003 islander (love the layout and quality...and it's less expensive) and a 2008 discovery.. (not as thrilled with workmanship, but it's newer)... The discovery is about 20k more.

Are there any specific issues with these? Our only issue is it still has old TVs and the front one looks a bit difficult to swap because of the cabinet..
thanks
Campingkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One is 5 years newer than the other......what about the mileage....tires? There are many other things that are way more expensive than replacing two TV's! Focus on the differences of the EXPENSIVE ($$$ thousands) to replace items. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Rook is correct... You need to compare a whole bunch of things ahead of a TV.
One thing I will tell you, shabby workmanship doesn't improve with age!
Personally you couldn't give me a Discovery.
Have fun!
Mike
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I do like the Islanders and I do think it's a better coach than the Discovery but for $20k more, IMO, you're better off with the 08 Discovery. For that difference, the 03 Islander is either expensive (from my experience, they do not have a very good resale) or the 08 Discovery is quite cheap.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #5

Bottom line here, if you have a 20k play area, keep looking! MOHO Here!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #6

Redoing the TV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingkris View Post
We are down to two... a 2003 islander (love the layout and quality...and it's less expensive) and a 2008 discovery.. (not as thrilled with workmanship, but it's newer)... The discovery is about 20k more.

Are there any specific issues with these? Our only issue is it still has old TVs and the front one looks a bit difficult to swap because of the cabinet..
thanks
Mine is a 2001 Islander, same lay out as yours. I took that front tv out and redid the cabinet and put in a flat panel led tv. Then I measured the clearance between the living room slide and I put in a 37" flat panel on the dinning room wall where the mirror was. I re built the wall, took the 1/8" plywood out fished tv cable from the control box up front under the motor home thru the bays, behind the panel behind the toilet and put in a cable box on the newly constructed and stained and finished 1/2" birch plywood. Now that I did that, I wished I had not put a TV up front, it is useless, never use it. If your handy, think about doing what I did, sure like that big TV, I think I could have put a 42" one in.